PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 and Multiple Domains/emails

NiteOwl
02-23-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm one of those who is affected by the outage and I am seriously considering going somewhere else at the moment... We were given the option of going from 3.0 to 4.0 and although I cannot get to my database I could get static copies of my sites back online...

I've never been happy with the treatment of multiple domains through site manager and even unhappier with emails assigned to other than my main domain and the inability to access them through webmail I had set up...

How does 4.0 treat my multiple domains? I've seen cPanel setups where I could log into sub domains the same way I logged into the main domain.

What about emails? Is the ability to finally access emails from sub-domains through a web client there or is it still like before?

I'm stuck at the moment, I've been a westhost customer for a long time but I'm just seriously unhappy at the moment...

wildjokerdesign
02-23-2010, 03:09 PM
The WH 4.0 has support for email on multiple domains. In other words the loops you had to jump through before are not there. :) I don't remember the exact process but when you create an email user in 4.0 you are given a choice of domains that are located on the account for it to be for.

pete
02-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I just switched and I am wondering why I didn't do it long ago. Things for me are soooo much nicer on 4.0 particulary with additional domains and email setup and also software setup on other domains. I have only been doing 4.0 for a few days and I am already in love with it. It is so much easier for those items. Also, maybe this isn't completely related, my site loads so much faster now. Noticiably faster. I would completely recommend the switch.

pete

NiteOwl
02-23-2010, 03:45 PM
How does it treat multiple domains?

wildjokerdesign
02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
As pete explained you have more control over them. You can even install the available programs into different domains with a few clicks. It really is pretty easy to use. Bit of a learning curve but if you stay with it you'll have it down in no time.

wildjokerdesign
02-23-2010, 04:00 PM
How does it treat multiple domains?
Did I answer that or is there something more specific you are looking for?

pete
02-23-2010, 04:19 PM
You simply add all of your domains into your cPanel first and then point them all to your account. Then when you install software you are able to install into a select domain with a dropdown list of all of your domains. The software is then installed into that domains default location on your system.

For email, you simply select the domain you want to administer and add users etc to the domain. You then have incoming and outgoing locations specific to that domain like mail.domain1.com and seperate for mail.domian2.com etc. The username for each user is unique, but much easier to work with. The user will have a name like "username+domainname.com" as their username, but it works much better than the old methods. The username is really the only thing that is strange in my opinion. Everything else is very easy and separate for each domain like I imagined it would be from the beginning. Not like the strange system I was forced into before in 3.0.

Like was mentioned, it does take some time to get used to the new interface. It isn't too bad however. In a few days I have moved over several domains to my new site and they work very well.

Another example: I can setup AWSTATS for each domain separately. I just put a checkmark next to the domains I want the stats to run on. I can install WordPress into each domain individually etc. Very easy.

-pete-

wildjokerdesign
02-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey Pete,
Where you able to get the automated set up for Outlook 2000 or Outlook Express to work for you? When my client tried to use that on Windows 7 it gave them an error. When I tried it on XP it did not work either. Just curious. :)

pete
02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
I tried it briefly, but I am on Outlook 2007 and none of the links from what I remember were 2007 so I just did it manually. BTW, the instructions that were listed when I set up the account were different from the default instructions I was given. The ones when I set up a new email account said the outgoing mail server was port 2525 and the SSL outgoing was 465, but the original instructions said part 25 for non ssl and that is what I used and it worked. Anyway, not to hard to set up manually but didn't try again with the auto setup after one quick attempt.

tompr.online
02-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Is there a way to access roundcube without the https/ports that I see referenced from the control panel access icons? I'm trying to get to these from behind a firewall that's blocking ports to the control panel. Thanks- T.