PDA

View Full Version : Concerns and questions about WestHost 4.0

JMJ_coder
02-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Hello,

I have some questions and concerns about the upcoming (in the process of ) conversion.

* Will I be able to filter my email via procmail? If not, how will I filter it?
* What will happen to my filtered emails?
* Will I be able to have a cvs and/or ftp server going?
* Will there be access to textcaptcha?
* How accessible will it be to non-graphical interface users (is Java/Javascript required? can CPanel be navigated at all via a text-mode browser? must all configuration be done via a graphical interface?)?

nventurella
02-17-2010, 01:14 PM
* Will I be able to filter my email via procmail? If not, how will I filter it?
* What will happen to my filtered emails?
No, but there is an e-mail filtering option in the cPanel Control Panel. You can setup account-level filters as well as user-level filters. You can choose what happens to filtered mail (discard, bounce, forward, stop processing rules, deliver to folder, pipe to program)

* Will I be able to have a cvs and/or ftp server going?
You cannot build or compile new software. There's no access to "gcc" or "g++" or "make", for instance. There is, of course, an FTP server built into the hosting account, and you're welcome to make use of this, but you can't install your own FTP server.

* Will there be access to textcaptcha?
I'm not sure what textcaptcha is, but it's not something that's provided by default in WestHost 3.0. If it's a Linux program, no you can't compile it. If it's a PHP or Perl script, most likely yes, you can download it and use it.

* How accessible will it be to non-graphical interface users (is Java/Javascript required? can CPanel be navigated at all via a text-mode browser? must all configuration be done via a graphical interface?)?
Most configuration must be done via the cPanel Control Panel. Your SSH account give you limited access to the server (only your home directory). I have not tried using cPanel in lynx or some other text-only browser, but you're welcome to try it. There's a demo at the official cPanel web site http://cpanel.net/.