PDA

View Full Version : How do I redirect?

Anja
01-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I have a website and a gallery. Index is: lurofoto.eu/index.html and gallery is lurofoto.eu/gallery.php

Now I would like to redirect. I want /gallery.php to be the index but visitors should only have to type in: lurofoto.eu to get there.

Is there anyone who can tell me how and where I can change this? I believe I should do something with .hcaccess but I cannot find anything like that.

I need someone who can explain this to me with a lot of patient because my English is not that good and I'm not very familiar with the software and all of the hostingmaterial.

Thanks in advance!

wildjokerdesign
01-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Not sure how your Gallery works but you can try to simply rename gallery.php to index.php and the delete the index.html. That well work unless your Gallery has some type of setting for it main file or if gallery.php is hard coded into it. I would have to see the gallery.php file to be more specific.

wildjokerdesign
01-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Well that is not going to work for you. :) You don't actually have a gallery.php file. What you have is a gallery directory where the index.php file is located for your gallery.

You might need to use .htaccess but I would need to know what other .htaccess files you are possilbly useing. The ones that may be in the forum and gallery directory.

Anja
01-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Here is my problem: Where do I find .htaccess? In other words, where is it located? In the database or in de gallery Admin? I have found these in my Admin: Edit data .htaccess
Edit fullsized .htaccess But both can not be used, there is this mesage: File being edited: /var/www/html/gallery/data/.htaccess

Warning: This file does not exist or is not writable; when you submit this form we will attempt to create this file.
If we are unable to do so (check your path and permissions), then we will notify you of the error.

wildjokerdesign
01-24-2010, 04:18 PM
The message you are getting is because there is not a .htaccess file in /var/www/html/gallery/data/ directory. More then likely that .htaccess file is to protect your images from being hotlinked. I am wanting to know if you have the following:
/var/www/html/.htaccess
/var/www/html/gallery/.htaccess
/var/www/html/forum/.htaccess
They are not in the database they are files. You need to look for them using the same program you used to upload your files to your account. How did you get the files for both the Forum and the Gallery uploaded to your site? Is this a new account with WestHost? I need to know if you are on WestHost 3.0 or WestHost 4.0. If you are on WestHost 4.0 it would be a new account within the last month or so.

Anja
01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
The software from the gallery was uploaded by photopost in February 2009, I had no idea how to do it so I asked photopost to help me with it. They told me I needed a website in the first place so I created one. Forum and gallery was integrated by Photopost in December 2009. I really don't know what they have done, sorry....

Those .htaccess files were not found by the search engine.....

wildjokerdesign
01-26-2010, 06:44 AM
A search engine would not find a .htaccess file. They are hidden files from the public. You need to log into your site via FTP to look for them. In fact you need to log in via FTP to upload a .htaccess file with the following code in it to do what you want.

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/joomla
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ joomla/$1 [L]
If you have never uploaded something to your site with FTP then you may want to have some one do this for you. WestHost has a service that does such things for a fee.

If you want to try and do this yourself you need to look a this Help page on "Uploading Your Web Site (http://helpdocs.westserver.net/v3/sitemanager/Uploading_Your_Web_Site.htm)". You also need to get a plain text editor for your computer that you can create the above .htaccess file with. There are two free editors linked in my signature below. I use EditPlus

You would open up one of the plain text editors and copy and past the code above into a new document. You would then save it as .htaccess for a file name. It needs to be saved as plain text. You then need to open up an FTP program like one of those linked to in the Help page I linked above and upload the .htaccess file to /var/www/html directory.

Anja
02-25-2010, 02:40 PM
I was talking about the search engine after I was logged in. I'll try to figure out what you mean exactly (my English is lousy) but thanks in advance for your help and patience

wildjokerdesign
02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Anja,

Busy week so can't give you much individual attention on this but bump this topic next week and I'll see what I can do. What language do you speak. I do only speak English myself but maybe I can word things different or you some words in your native tong to help make things clearer.