PDA

View Full Version : How is WestHost 4.0?

WestHost - BChambers
01-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Now that we've had a full 2 months with WestHost 4.0 running live, I'm interested in hearing more feedback from clients who are on 4.0. What do you think? What are the pro's and con's? Any suggestions?

So far the feedback I've heard has been quite positive. While there have been some tweaks we've made here and there, overall the new platform has seemed to run quite well.

john_collins
01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
I installed a new client on it and I hated it. I don't have enough control. Right from the getgo, I could not install client's existing databases because cpanel does not allow them to have an underscore _ in the name. It means recoding. Next, I did not find complete access to the user table to set up users with different settings.

Then the darn cron thing insists on sending an email every time it runs. A calendar program runs the cron every five minutes. That's 288 extra emails a day!

Too many times, I tried to do things in cpanel and they didn't work without providing a reason why.

I cannot access the php.ini file to change the time zone, meaning the time shown on the site is wrong.

All my messing around trying to make it work made me look like an idiot cost me the client.

Nope, not for me.

guitarwez3
01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I installed a new client on it and I hated it. I don't have enough control. Right from the getgo, I could not install client's existing databases because cpanel does not allow them to have an underscore _ in the name. It means recoding. Next, I did not find complete access to the user table to set up users with different settings.

Then the darn cron thing insists on sending an email every time it runs. A calendar program runs the cron every five minutes. That's 288 extra emails a day!

Too many times, I tried to do things in cpanel and they didn't work without providing a reason why.

I cannot access the php.ini file to change the time zone, meaning the time shown on the site is wrong.

All my messing around trying to make it work made me look like an idiot cost me the client.

Nope, not for me.

This post is scaring the hell out of me as I am considering moving all 70 of my reseller clients from WH 3.0 over to WH 4.0. Granted, I don't need a whole LOT of control of my client sites as they are pretty small and deal with simple PHP/MySQL plugin apps, but I'm pretty nervous about the prospect of having to take out a week of my time just providing client site support for the upgrade to 4.0.

Someone please tell me that 4.0 is decent and I won't have a huge migraine on my hands in the upcoming months!

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
It all depends on how comfortable you are with cPanel. :) It is a bit different in how it works. There are a lot more "buttons" to push. That being said, the user above was trying to work through cPanel to manipulate his databases. I would skip cPanel and simply use phpMyAdmin. It is available on WH 4.0. I am pretty sure that the Cron issue of emailing every time it runs can be fixed pretty easy. Not sure of specifics but even if it is not easy to sort in cPanel itself I know that WestHost would help turn that off for you.

You might have a couple Migraines from it when you first move but that is more because you have 70 accounts to deal with. Migrating that many clients on any system would be a bit of a task. If the sites really are just "normal" PHP sites then you really should not have that much of a problem. Most PHP scripts out there are designed to work under shared hosting setups like WH 4.0.

I wouldn't get too rattled yet. Wait till WestHost gives us some solid information on the migration process. They really have not ironed out the specifics on their end yet and I get the feeling that they well do every thing they can to make it as painless a move as they can.

arlomedia
02-24-2010, 09:53 AM
This is an old thread but it caught my eye as I had a first look at 4.0 this week (thanks to the data center fire suppression incident).

I'm pretty sure this is because your scripts are outputting some kind of content, which normally triggers an email of that content. You never noticed this in 3.0 because the normal cron email functionality was broken there. I'm actually happy to see this because it means an important feature of cron is now available in 4.0!

As for your unwanted emails, you can update your scripts to suppress any output. If your cron job runs the scripts via curl, you can look for the "silent mode" flag. And you can set MAILTO to nothing at the top of your crontab, although it's possible Westhost is overriding this to add a default email address.

wildjokerdesign
02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
I was just looking at the cron job interface in WH 4.0 (cPanel) and it looks like when you create a new cron job that you are given the option to add an email user that it is sent to otherwise it is sent to the main email for the account. It does not seem there is a way to "deactivate" this in the interface but I wonder if you entered an email address that was not "real", if it would simply just dump them. I know that in WH 3.0 we could actually set an email address to /dev/null or /bin/echo which effectively simply trashed any email sent to that address. Perhaps and email addy would need to be set up on WH 4.0 that was like that.