PDA

View Full Version : The change to 4.0 is rotten

gcfi
12-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I agree with the other posters who didn''t think that 'upgrading' would remove functionality. I have been with Westhost for many years now with several sites and have been a believer - the support has been tops. What is perhaps most disturbing for my needs is the lack of Miva in the 4.0 environment after stores have already been developed. I suppose if I decide to stay with Westhost (and that is a big IF), I will need to redevelop apps which is not how I prefer to spend my spare time. I feel for those who developed in Ruby. I suppose with the change in ownership at Westhost comes generic, plain vanilla, web hosting. I did read the 100% lifetime satisfaction commitment from Westhost and I noted that it did not say "We Promise to Strive to Ensure that Upgrades will Provide Backward Compatibility with existing clients", so, perhaps, I should have been more cautious. In the same spirit, as a client, my commitment includes the "promise to provide WestHost with open and honest feedback".

shakmatay
12-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Read the other thread (just next to yours) posted in the WestHost 4.0 forum two days ago (McBride's #4 post dated 12-9-09)...

http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=13695

Sounds like good news!!!

3.0 clients don't have to migrate to the 4.0 platform if they don't want to. They can keep their 3.0 VPS platform as is. I was about to terminate our account, but will now probably stay (if I can continue on the 3.0 VPS).
i.e. a FULLY "managed" Virtual Private Server. That's why I came to WestHost--for the extra level of security & privacy that a VPS affords (compared to a shared environment), AND the convenience of it being FULLY managed. I could care less about root access.

~Shak

gcfi
12-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks Shak. I had read that. I am heartened that they will continue to support and install security patches for existing apps but this doesn't sound like upgrades will be installed with respect to new functionality. Correct me if I'm wrong. In a few years, we may be stuck with the equivalent of Visicalc, an entirely functional piece of software but woefully outdated.

wildjokerdesign
12-12-2009, 12:19 PM
While Miva may not be offered as an installable program via WH 4.0 and even if you stay with WH 3.0 it does not mean that you can not keep Miva up to date. :) Miva is simply a PHP program and since it is you can easily upgrade or install it manually outside of Site Manager or even the new WH 4.0 cPanel.

I for one prefer to install and manage PHP programs myself. About the only one I don't is phpMyAdmin simply because WH keeps pretty current.

http://www.mivamerchant.com/

shakmatay
12-12-2009, 07:07 PM
You both raise good points.

For example, I am running Miva 5.0 There was always an option to upgrade it to 5.5 in site manager. But now, lo and behold, I just checked, and that option has disappeared from the apps page.

So I guess I'm stuck with 5.0 because I'm not going to pay $1,000.00 for the software myself. I'm okay with miva 5.0 as I don't really have a large number of items to sell.

I still wish I had upgraded to miva 5.5 when I had the chance though. I thought that option would be there so long as WH 3.0 was in existence.

Oh well.

wildjokerdesign
12-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Are you sure you can't still update via the Miva program itslef? http://docs.mivamerchant.com/en-US/merchant/5/webhelp/Using_Merchant_Streaming_Updates.htm I don't use the program myself but I did find this info at their site.

gcfi
12-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Shak's response is exactly my issue. I realize that I (we) can install php programs on our own; however, Miva is not freeware and any significant upgrade (say from 5.x to 6.x) will result in a significant financial investment on our part which previously, was part of the WH hosting package.

wildjokerdesign
12-16-2009, 06:21 AM
If your miva store is making money for you then why not invest back into your "store"? :) If you don't really make that much with your on-line store then I would suggest looking into one of the other e-commerce programs out there that are free.

RMD
12-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Thank goodness we can opt to remain on the 3.0 VPS...after reading the feedback about the cloud computing, I knew it was way over my head. And wasn't happy about shared servers. I've learned a lot by being here & wanted to remain a happy WH customer...now I can!

How do I renew my current contract, which is coming up soon so I can keep the 3.0 VPS?

wildjokerdesign
12-20-2009, 12:45 PM
RMD,

I think you should simply renew your account as you normally do with them. They still are not ready to migrate current customers to 4.0.

RMD
12-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks Shak. I had read that. I am heartened that they will continue to support and install security patches for existing apps but this doesn't sound like upgrades will be installed with respect to new functionality. Correct me if I'm wrong. In a few years, we may be stuck with the equivalent of Visicalc, an entirely functional piece of software but woefully outdated.This is true, but in the meantime, it gives many of us some breathing room. However, with Miva, I realize you're a bit stuck.

There's tons of open source ecommerce solutions out there for small biz. This one looked interesting, with international capabilities: http://www.prestashop.com/en/features

wildjokerdesign
02-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Well remember you can keep your account on the old WH 3.0 set up if you want. There just won't be any further development of the interface. Now granted all new accounts are going to be created as WH 4.0 but for most clients that would not really be an issue.

WestHost - CReeves
02-11-2010, 08:17 AM
jendeedotnet,

Iím very sorry to hear that you feel that way. Please understand that the change to 4.0 platform was a result of the 3.0 platform being at end of life. We did a lot of research and invested a lot of time to ensure that we are providing a solution that will not only replace 4.0 but will be an upgrade for most of our existing clients. Yes, there are some unique options on the 3.0 platform but looking at the larger picture the move to 4.0 is overwhelmingly positive for the vast majority of our clients.

For those that still need the unique root-like access or the VPS technology we have encouraged clients to consider VPS.NET our sister brand. VPS.NET actually offers full root access with unlimited possibilities and instant scalability.

We will continue to provide updates to site apps and security updates however the actual 3.0 platform is at end of life.

For anyone who has not already tried the 4.0 platform you really need to check it out. We have received tons of positive praise from clients thanking us for offering this new solution. If you need the VPS technology you will find that VPS.NET is really unparalleled in the industry. VPS.NET is an awesome alternative that you will love if you need a VPS solution.

nventurella
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
- Where is the help documentation?
Video tutorials are embedded in cPanel. More detailed documents can be found on the cPanel web site:
http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/DocsIntro

- Why does the CPanel not function properly in IE8?
Although we recommend using Firefox for many reasons, cPanel does function properly in IE. You must accept all cookies. The IE 7+ browsers block some cookies by default.

In Internet Explorer: Go to the Tools menu > Internet Options > Privacy tab, then drag the slider to Accept All Cookies.

- How do I customize error pages now?
cPanel > Error Pages (under "Advanced" at the bottom)

- Without Uebimiau how do I configure webmail to be www.clientdomain.com/webmail? (http://www.clientdomain.com/webmail?)
It already is configured as such by default. Nothing special is required.

- Why is AWStats not working? (it says there is no domain)
You must enable AWStats first. Do this in cPanel > Choose Log Programs > Check the box for "AWStats" for the domain(s) in question. Then wait until tomorrow to access the AWStats. You'll access AWStats under cPanel > AWStats.

- How do I change the main domain from the temporary westhost site to the website's actual domain?
For shared hosting accounts, do this in cp.westhost.com:
In cp.westhost.com > Billing > Services > click on the srevice > Change PRimary Domain

For resellers and dedicated servers, make the change in WHM by editing the information for the particular account in question.

- What's the substitute for Perlfect Search / Website Search?
Google Site Search is the real answer for both 3.0 and 4.0, but what you're talking about is cPanel > CGI Center > Entropy Search

efootprint
02-23-2010, 09:40 AM
4.0 has not worked for us. We're still down !

Support will not reply neither does the ticket system. Chat only gives you the How get it started (which didn't work). No answers.

Don't try to call the Phone system is down too !

valid
02-24-2010, 03:11 PM
i'm in my 4.0 c-panel rightnow and cant get anything to show on my site address.
Yesterday i was able to access my ftp but no site showed online.

so i made the switch to 4.0 and was able to sign INTO IT a minute later, but still no site. so i took my files that were in .../html and made a folder /public_html/ and put the files there still nothing. so i put them back into ..../html and it worked yesterday my site was back up.

but today nothing and i get a error on my ftp access

"[2/24/2010 1:58:46 PM] Can't resolve "englishtutorlive.com". Network connectivity was detected. Check the spelling of the server name or contact the server administrator."

so now what?

wildjokerdesign
02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
valid I answered you on this in the other post you made. I'll copy that here.

What files do you have in /public_html at the moment? That is where your public pages should be located. At the very least you need something like an index.html file there.

I tried accessing your site and it is almost like there is nothing uploaded for it to serve back. I also checked name servers and you are good there. I think the site is propagating and resolving ok so just a matter of making sure files are in the right place.

neilh
03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I've a small project that I thought I would try out the WestHost 4.
Its a simple web site for outreach on a local campaign issue.
As part of that was setting up a list server for the management group and also a mailing out to a small group of voters.
When I installed mailman - as basic as you can get - to be able to do a list server - it had some problems, and I had to implement another solution. I received an apology for the delay in getting it repaired due to other outage problems.

Then I left it down to the wire for the campaign email, installed phpMail last night - as much to learn about it - its also not emailing out, and I've raised the issue and not getting a response.

What concerns me is both of these are what I would have thought have as foundational - have been around for a number of years (I think are on WH 3.0) - and both didn't work on installation.
Which makes me wonder about the whole of WH 4.0.
Any body else having similar experiences?

DocZ
03-23-2010, 05:48 AM
I am currently finding the same situation as neilh. Basic infrastructure doesn't seem to work. I was able to use cPanel to install MySql, great. But, I had one problem moving the 3.0 database to the 4.0 database server. I opened a ticket, after a few days got a response that did not help, asked a more specific question, a week later I am still waiting. Through some trial and error, I found my own answer. Now I working with PHP scripts, they work fine on other servers, but "include" statements are ignored. I tried chat, but was told to open a ticket. Two days later I am still waiting.

Help is also very piece-meal. Finding it like stumbling in the dark, more by luck than any search strategy. Usually almost, but completely useful.