PDA

View Full Version : Email RBLs in WH 4.0 ?

Bob K
11-21-2009, 06:50 AM
I noticed on the 3.0 to 4.0 comparison (http://www.westhost.com/30to40comparison.html) that "Spam Rejection with RBLs" is not available in 4.0. RBLs have worked very effectively in 3.0. What alternatives are there going to be in 4.0?

dolson
11-23-2009, 01:51 PM
We will still have the RBLs setup in our 4.0 system. However, because they are setup on the server level, users won't have access to modify which RBLs they want to use. They will still work just as well as they did in 3.0 and we will also have other options for you where you can setup your own e-mail filtering rules as well as utilize SpamAssassin.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will have that page updated to show the proper 4.0 specs.

wildjokerdesign
11-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Dustin,

Does this mean we are forced to have RBLs running on our account or is there the option to turn it off. I can't remember from Beta testing if there was. The concern is that the default that where used for list in 3.0 where a bit too much for some and the ability to choose which list you wanted to use was nice.

dolson
11-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Shawn,

You are correct, the RBLs will be in effect for all accounts with no option to turn them off. However, we are using a different set of RBLs and are not going to utilize the ones with which we have had issues in the 3.0 system. Based on past experience, I feel completely comfortable with this setup (though I can understand the hesitancy) and am confident we won't see the issues we saw on 3.0 with some of the lists.

In the event someone e-mailing you does end up on the blocklist, if they are legitimate, it should be simple enough for them to get delisted. They then would be able to send to you without issue. Having them delist themselves is the best course of action anyhow. This helps keep the RBLs honest and up to date as well as delists them for any and all hosts that may utilize the RBL. I hope this addresses your concerns.

wildjokerdesign
11-25-2009, 08:32 AM
It is good to hear that the issues that 3.0 and RBL's has been addressed. I would like to suggest that within the documentation for 4.0, that there be clear information on the services being used and how to go about being unlisted from them. While I realize that often a rejection sends an email back to the original sender it would be good for us as WestHost clients to have a clear reference to look at that when we get the phone call from someone saying "Hey how come you rejected my email!" :) They may not read the rejection closely to know how to get unlisted.

dolson
11-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Shawn,

Thank you for your suggestion. It would definitely be good to have those instructions handy. I'll add that to my list!