PDA

View Full Version : Blog post comments please

jneeley
11-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just published a new post to the WestHost blog and want your thoughts. Have you run into similar problems? How do you avoid spammers and scams?

Click here to view "4+ Tips to Expose E-Mail Scams - Internet Scams Part I" (http://www.westhost.com/blog/2009/11/05/4-tips-to-expose-e-mail-scams-internet-scams-part-i/)

wildjokerdesign
11-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I've actually gotten emails from "WestHost" much like the one you posted. Pretty simple for me to detect they are scams. First off the From field even without looking at the Header is often not the standard one used by WestHost... Let's hope WestHost stays consistent on that. :) A quick right click then looking at Options I can see the header of the email. A glance shows me I did not originate from WestHost.

I have seen an increase of Spams that simply use RE: Or FWD: without any other text for the subject... Come on spammers if it was really an RE or FWD it would have the text of the original subject after it.

You mentioned this in the blog post but I wanted to repeat it here. Do not click on links in such emails. If you have an account with our bank then use the URL you have bookmarked for them or type it in. You got it when you signed up with them and I doubt it is going to change.

jneeley
11-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info. These tips and thoughts are very necessary and true. I almost always delete an email from a weird address without ever reading it. It does get a little tricky, however, when they mask the actual email address it is coming from.

wildjokerdesign
11-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Since we are on the subject of Internet Fraud, I wonder if it is worth bringing up the fact that you need to be careful when visiting forums. :)

For example as a rule I would not have "trusted" your post right from the start since you where a new user to the forum who had just joined. In fact at first glance I questioned the post. You have in your signature that you are Sr. Client Service Representative but anyone could add that to their signature. Other WestHost employees use the logo as their avatar which you do not. The actual url you had posted was text linked and not simply a URL (this means it could have led to i-am-a-spammer-hacker.com even though you stated it was a WestHost blog post). The post had grammar errors. "I just published a new post the the WestHost blog and want your thoughts." I am not pointing these things out to bash or discredit you, but to illustrate flags that can be looked at.

Now to talk about why I did trust the link. First of all I did a quick check of the actual URL behind the text link and could see that it did indeed lead to the WestHost Blog. By hovering over the link in most browsers you can see the actual destination displayed in your status bar at the bottom. Even that is not 100% trust worthy and a scan of the actual source of the page can help check that out. I did not do that in this case because I noticed that your post had been edited by one of the other forum moderators. :)

I know I may sound paranoid, but I really am a pretty trusting person. If you use common sense and pay attention to details you can do quite a bit to protect your self from the bad guys out there.

jneeley
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the additional information. Good thoughts on linking and grammar :)

Every day spammers get more and more creative. I think we will be quite suprised what the future will bring. It is good to talk and share knowledge so we all become more aware of these issues

wildjokerdesign
11-17-2009, 06:07 AM
I've received this email quite a bit lately so thought it might be worth posting some details. This email contains a virus that is in the form of an attachment. The body contains something like the following

We are contacting you in regards to an unusual activity that was identified in your mailbox. As a result, your mailbox has been deactivated. To restore your mailbox, you are required to extract and run the attached mailbox utility.

Best regards, mydomain.com technical support.

The mydomain is always one of the domains I own. I am technical support for my domains so this one was easy for me to spot even if my anti virus program had not singled it out.

I have posted this over at the blog also.