PDA

View Full Version : Will migration to WH4.0 be manual or automated?

wildjokerdesign
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I scanned through the past threads but really did not see an answer to this question.

I think that personally I would like to see some type of manual migration. It would be nice if databases, email accounts and public web files could be somehow automated or fetched internally but I am thinking that with what I saw in beta testing of WH 4.0 it would be very difficult to automate the entire process and not have issues. :)

Perhaps it is still to early for a solid answer on this and it may even be that WH plans to have a beta testing of the migration process but thought I would through the question out there.

P.S. If I missed this info in another thread please forgive me... I seem to be having senior moment more often these days. :)

WestHost - CReeves
10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Shawn,

You have brought up some great questions. I have forwarded on your request to see if we can get you these answers. Thanks for your input!

guitarwez3
10-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I would hope that the sites/email/databases (as a whole) would be migrated automatically - unless certain sites that the owner flags are requested to be moved manually.

I don't want to visit the idea of migrating 70 of my client websites manually. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

wildjokerdesign
10-31-2009, 04:25 PM
One reason I started the thread was so that perhaps we could give some input that the techs could use on what we would like to see. I don't know how far they have gotten to to coding migration scripts but I have a feeling that their focus has been on getting the new system running smoothly first and then looking at what it takes to move accounts.

cmichaelis
11-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi there,

You are correct that our focus thus far has been mainly on getting the new systems up and running perfectly smoothly and reliably for new accounts; transitioning existing 3.0 accounts will be the next phase after we launch 4.0 to new clients. Regarding whether the upgrade will be manual or automated, I can't give any definite answers at this point. We'll be sure to let everyone know well in advance what the plans will be for migrating 3.0 accounts to 4.0; while I can't give a definite answer, it's highly likely that we will do both manual and automatic upgrades. The vast majority of sites and accounts will be possible to automatically migrate without any problems; but I see no reason why anyone who would like to perform the upgrade manually (for personal interest, opportunity to reorganize site at same time, etc) can't do so.

Please let us know if you have any other questions! Stay tuned for news on these matters, as we do try to keep everyone well-informed.

Thanks!
Chris Michaelis

rolling
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
My understanding is that we won't be able to compile libraries on WH4. If that's the case, what will happen to our existing sites which use apps we've built? Will Westhost simply transfer across our libraries? They should work if WH keeps the same Linux core, but I expect some apps to break due to the different environment.

Simple sites which only use applications installed from the Site Manager should be easy to transfer as they are standard. Manually installed apps will be more difficult as every user is different.

I don't envy Westhost the task.

PS. Does WH4 include rsync by default? It had to be built using a custom port on WH3 as Westhost use the usual port for their nightly backups.

LWC
11-09-2009, 01:22 AM
You just wouldn't be able to compile new apps yourself (http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?p=46007#post46007).

cmichaelis
11-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi there,

That is correct that you won't be able to compile custom libraries. If you can statically link them elsewhere (e.g. on your own computer) and upload them, or download a static package of the software in question, that will work fine. We will continue our custom services offering if you require assistance with getting software up and running as well.

Regarding rsync, it is available in 4.0 by default, yes. We have a newer and better solution than the rsync backup system that 3.0 uses, so you don't need to "avoid" using the standard rsync port either.

Thanks!
--Chris

My understanding is that we won't be able to compile libraries on WH4. If that's the case, what will happen to our existing sites which use apps we've built? Will Westhost simply transfer across our libraries? They should work if WH keeps the same Linux core, but I expect some apps to break due to the different environment.

Simple sites which only use applications installed from the Site Manager should be easy to transfer as they are standard. Manually installed apps will be more difficult as every user is different.

I don't envy Westhost the task.

PS. Does WH4 include rsync by default? It had to be built using a custom port on WH3 as Westhost use the usual port for their nightly backups.