PDA

View Full Version : Resellers on WestHost 4.0

guitarwez3
09-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Hey guys,

As a WestHost Reseller (level 4) of 70 websites, I've been a little afraid of this upgrade and the last time I called into WH to talk to a tech, he didn't have any answers for me (just a lot of "I don't knows" about reseller questions). I'd love to stay with WH for the upgrade but I'm starting to wonder if I will be able to keep my reseller accounts with WestHost similar to the way it is now.

I did see in the FAQ that Resellers would be able to use WHM to manage their reseller clients. Is this still the case?

All I really need to know is this: What is the extent of changes I will have with my reseller status with WestHost? Would I need to sign up with VPS.net? Why?

I'm glad to know I can still use SSH on each of my accounts. I don't need anything fancy - just a reseller status where I can continue to resell the services of WestHost as I have been for the last five years. The applications I use are pretty standard for my clients (WordPress, Drupal, phpBB3, etc.).

Can a WH tech update us resellers on what our future will be like with this upgrade? Again, I'd like to stay with WH if possible since moving 70 websites would be terrible.

Thanks!

WestHost - CReeves
09-15-2009, 03:11 PM
guitarwez3 ,

Thank you for your questions. The main difference with the future transition over to WestHost 4.0 is that we will no longer be able to support the WestHost VPS. While this may take away “some” functionality you will actually see an overall increase in features and applications you can use. You can see the differences here: http://www.westhost.com/30to40comparison.html

We will continue to offer and support Resellers on the WestHost 4.0 platform. You will have all the tools necessary to function as a Reseller. It is not necessary to sign up for VPS.NET if you are a Reseller. While VPS.NET is a great alternative you would presumably be migrating there for VPS functionality and not necessarily Reseller specific functionality. If your clients require a VPS environment then you would want to consider VPS.NET as a viable solution.

You would still have access to WHM as a Reseller. As I mentioned you will have access to all of the applications you listed plus additional apps we will be offering with WestHost 4.0. Staying with WestHost is not a problem unless you need a VPS. WestHost will handle the future migration and provide additional information as we approach that time.

wildjokerdesign
09-15-2009, 03:17 PM
If all you have really been using are WordPress, Drupal, phpBB3, etc. then I doubt you'll need to move to vps.net. Here at the big Q & A's that can make the difference.

Q. What about C/C++ programs which might need compiling such as ht://Dig? Will gcc/g++ still be available?
A. No, it will not. If you need to be able to do more advanced things such as compiling programs you will need to upgrade to a VPS.

Q. Will WestHost 4.0 offer ffmpeg or the ability to install them along with needed requirements?
A. No it will not. Due to system resources this would require the need of a VPS.

Both of these are advanced operations that took place via SSH with commands like ./configure, make and make install. If you or your clients have not been doing that then more then likely you'll be fine with WH 4.0. In fact once you get used to the new web interface I bet you'll find it easier and that you have more control then you did before. :)

guitarwez3
09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow, thanks for the positive responses guys. I feel MUCH, MUCH better now. :)

LWC
09-16-2009, 05:19 AM
I think it all comes back to What exactly is VPS like environment? (http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=13822)

I for one need things like SSH, cron and the ability to edit AWStats' configuration and run it via SSH.

BTW, if the latter is possible, so is running a pre-compiled ffmpeg.

wildjokerdesign
09-16-2009, 07:49 AM
SSH and cron will still be available from what I understand. They are still offering AWStats so I would imagine you'll have control over it's configuration. Cron should actually be easier for folks since cPanel has a web interface to add jobs. Could be the same will be availble for Awstats.

You might be right about the running of a pre-compiled ffmpeg if you can find one. It is just that you'll no longer be able to compile it yourself.