PDA

View Full Version : mySQL ODBC in WestHost 4.0?

acavette
07-08-2009, 06:52 PM
We use mySQL ODBC as an integral part of our accounting system.

Will mySQL ODBC still be available under WestHost 4.0?

WestHost - JFillmore
09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
acavette,

Regrettably, support for ODBC will initially be unavailable in WestHost 4.0. It is, however, on the list of improvements we're planning on making after we launch. Would you like me to notify you when this has happened?

acavette
09-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Will ODBC be available in WH4 before the mandatory move to WH4?

From other posts, it looks like you'll start mandating the move sometime early next year.

If ODBC isn't ready by the time you force us to change, I'll have to ask my client whether they want me to re-code all their ODBC interfaces in PHP or switch hosts.

Neither of those options is what they expected from WestHost. Pity...

WestHost - JFillmore
09-28-2009, 08:49 AM
acavette,

There is a lot of work to be done to prepare for and design the migration process from WH 3.0 to WH 4.0. While I wish I could provide you with a specific date we expect to start migrations, the bottom line is that before we can't complete the planning (let alone start writing code) to migrate our clients to WH 4.0 until we've launched WH 4.0. Between the time required to plan and implement the migration process, there will be ample amounts of time to make improvements (like adding ODBC support) to our WH 4.0 environment.

I honestly don't think you or your clients have anything to worry about. I don't say this to placate you with promises, but to let you know we have a plan in place to address issues like this. I hope that helps!

acavette
09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Jonny,

The longer we get to stay on WH3 the better :)

The first half of the year is so busy around here, we'd love it if we didn't have to even think about switching until after June.

I think a lot of us would like a quess of how long you'll let us stay on WH3 once you are ready for us to start switching to WH4 - not of the earliest we COULD switch.

3 months after you begin moving sites to WH4? 6 months?

The longer it is, the more likely ODBC will be supported and the more likely common problems will have been addressed.

Thanks...

WestHost - JFillmore
09-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I wish I could give you an answer, but the bottom line is that until we've finished planning the migration process any answer I give will be arbitrary and thus unreliable. There are a LOT of requirements that we'll have to take into consideration when designing how the migration process will work. Some of these requirements take the form of technical constraints (e.g. handling DNS, IP addresses, transferring data, etc.), while others are directly related to the needs of our clients (e.g. minimal downtime, good communication, etc.).

We will need to determine what the primary factor will be that determines the migration schedule. This may be related to a technical constraint that requires us to migrate an entire server at a time, or perhaps a /24 network at a time. On the flip side, maybe we'll be able to design the process to be flexible and allow clients to select their own date/time to have their migration performed. Each clients' requirements are unique (e.g. many others are busiest around the end of the year with all the US holidays), and sometimes conflicting, but not necessary contradictory (e.g. some don't want to be bothered with the details, while others would love to have an interactive migration process they can control). We'll do our best to come up with a solution that works best for everyone.

That said, right now I don't think you'll be forced to migrate before June, nor do I think you'll need to worry about WH 4.0 missing ODBC support.

acavette
09-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks Jonny :)

acavette
01-12-2010, 03:01 PM
WONDERFUL NEWS TO KEEP WH3!!!

Will ODBC remain on WH3?

WestHost - JFillmore
01-13-2010, 07:55 AM
acavette,

If you have ODBC inside your VPS you are welcome to continue using it without fear of it being removed or changed.

coppercup
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
What is the status of ODBC availability on WH 4.0 as of April 2010?