PDA

View Full Version : Some VPS.NET / WH4 questions

chrishowie
07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I posted this on the "WestHost 4.0" thread but figured that since there is a dedicated forum, I would repost it here.

I would also be interested in the discount for VPS.NET.

I've been using the winter holiday package for about six months now and am concerned about the transition to 4.0. Having almost root-level access has been fantastic -- I'm not sure how else I could have installed the Subversion module for Apache. Soon I'm looking at tinkering with mod_mono too. I have a strong feeling that 4.0 isn't going to allow that.

So VPS.NET is looking pretty good right now, except for the pricing model. Right now I have 100GB storage, 2TB bandwidth, and am paying $10/mo. The cheapest VPS.NET plan is $20/mo and you get 10GB storage and 250GB bandwidth. See a problem?

Now I'm not anywhere near the limits on my account, but if I'm going to have to switch over to continue what I'm doing on my WH account anyway, I'd sure like to get a hell of a lot closer to the caps I have right now. It seems a bit shady to say "we're going to give you these caps and features FOR LIFE ... until we decide to remove some of the features in an 'upgrade.'" It's the principle of the thing that really concerns me.

So, here are some itemized questions:

1. If I want to try VPS.NET right now and evaluate it as a replacement for my current hosting plan with WH, what kind of discount would I get if I don't also cancel my WH account?

2. Additionally, if I do decide to go with VPS.NET, what will happen to the remaining 5-6 months I have paid for at WH? Can that portion of my bill be credited to a VPS.NET account?

3. If I only want one node, what are your plans to deal with customers like me who have significantly higher caps on storage and bandwidth at WH? Will we get at least some increase or will we have to suck it up?

chrishowie
07-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Haha ok, well I just read some of the other threads and found the answer to question 2, which was the answer I was hoping for (the remaining credit on my WH account is transferred to VPS.NET). I am still hoping to find likewise acceptable answers to questions 1 and 3. :)

If you are interested in signing up with VPS.NET you will receive a discount on your bill every month for being a current WestHost client. In addition, WestHost can credit your VPS.NET account for any unused portion of your pre-paid hosting with us (amounts will be prorated). If you need assistance with migration setup there is a service offered through VPS.NET that can assist you with this for an additional fee.

WestHost - CReeves
07-07-2009, 01:50 PM
chrishowie,

1 - All WestHost clients are eligible for the discount at VPS.NET. For details regarding the discount please contact VPS.NET Sales or WestHost Sales for the latest update.

2 WestHost can credit your VPS.NET account for any unused portion of your pre-paid hosting with us (amounts will be prorated).

3 With the current setup on VPS.NET you would need to purchase an additional node if you wanted extra disk space or bandwidth. There may be an option to purchase this separately down the road but for now it would require the additional node. I would encourage you to stay up to speed on the VPS.NET blog (http://vps.net/blog/)for the latest news and information.

chrishowie
07-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. #3 is what I expected, unfortunately. It seems rather a shame that, after having been sold a package "for life," I must now choose between features and higher limits.

ricrat
08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. #3 is what I expected, unfortunately. It seems rather a shame that, after having been sold a package "for life," I must now choose between features and higher limits.

I agree completely. I feel misled and have misled some clients to WH because of the value.
Now that the discount is $10.00/month it is not as great a deal.

WestHost - CReeves
08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
ricrat,

I understand your frustration regarding the situation. We have done our very best to help ease the frustration through the upcoming changes. Most clients need not worry about the changes and will only be affected in a positive way. For those that still need the VPS technology we have partnered closely with our sister company VPS.NET to make the transition an easy one. We have provided a discount on the first node and we will credit any pro-rated balance from your WestHost account over to your VPS.NET account should you choose to make the switch. We appreciate your feedback and we will continue to work hard to maintain your business.

In terms of the discount its actually the same value as it was initially. You will get the first node for the same discounted price as it was from the beginning. (See post on other thread: http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=13687 )