PDA

View Full Version : Migration From WH 3.0 to VPS.NET

bruce.binder
07-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Is there a plan already in place for moving from Westhost 3.0 to VPS.NET for those of us who prefer that? I apologize if I missed it. Or is it not yet ready?

I realize I can go sign up for VPS.NET right now, but is there some particular steps I need to take to make sure I get all the right discounts, limits on disk space and bandwidth are preserved as much as possible, and that all the transfers happen smoothly.

I am willing to do all my own setup (maybe that's the only option anyway?) but I'm thinking of the logistics involved. I remember when I self-migrated from Westhost 2.0 to 3.0 I had to

create new account -> call billing -> wait 24 hours -> call accounts

in a certain order. Is there any checklist like this to move from 3.0 to VPS.NET?

--
Bruce

WestHost - CReeves
07-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Dear Bruce & Others,

If you are interested in signing up with VPS.NET you will receive a discount on your bill every month for being a current WestHost client. In addition, WestHost can credit your VPS.NET account for any unused portion of your pre-paid hosting with us (amounts will be prorated). If you need assistance with migration setup there is a service offered through VPS.NET that can assist you with this for an additional fee.

How does it work?

--------------------

-Sign up for your new VPS.NET account (in order to get the WH discount you will need to contact VPS.NET directly and let them know you are a current WH client). VPS.NET will then verify this with WestHost before giving the discount.

-If you need assistance migrating everything over to VPS.NET this can be done for an additional fee (http://vps.net/blog/introducing-managed-setup-migration-plan/ ).

-Once you have everything setup up with VPS.NET if you want to receive a credit for the unused portion of your WestHost account then you will need to follow the normal cancellation procedures with WestHost. In the notes section of the WestHost cancellation form please indicate that you have transferred to VPS.NET. Once we verify your transfer with VPS.NET we will issue a pro-rated credit to your VPS.NET account for any unused portion.

--------------------

I hope this information is helpful for those considering a move to VPS.NET. If you have any additional questions regarding this please contact VPS.NET sales or WestHost sales.

tn1
07-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Dear Bruce & Others,

If you are interested in signing up with VPS.NET you will receive a discount on your bill every month for being a current WestHost client.

Just to confirm. Does it mean that the discount will be also applicable after we fully move all our hosting to VPS.NET and stop being a WestHost client?

To cite this post http://forums.westhost.com/showpost.php?p=44939&postcount=26:

... current (only those of you who are actually clients at WestHost NOW) clients will get a $20 discount, fixing the price at $10/mo for a 256mb VPS.NET server.

master_son
07-06-2009, 06:59 AM
If you will note - that is only part of it, he also said - at the time - that they were still working on the price for the discount

WestHost - CReeves
07-07-2009, 02:05 PM
tn1,

Thank you for your question. Yes, you would continue to get the discount for initially migrating from WestHost even once your account is cancelled with us.

jponiato
08-05-2009, 08:04 PM
tn1,

Thank you for your question. Yes, you would continue to get the discount for initially migrating from WestHost even once your account is cancelled with us.

For how long?

WestHost - CReeves
08-06-2009, 09:59 AM
jponiato,

You actually will get the WestHost discount for the life of the VPS.NET account.

ricrat
08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
:(:(Just chatted with Jamie from WH.
The discount has been reduced to $10.00/month.:o:

WestHost - CReeves
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
ricrat,

This is true. The discount was reduced to $10 because the price of the nodes dropped $10. So for example, when this was first rolled out a node was $30 with a $20 discount bringing your price down to $10. Now a node is $20 with a $10 discount bringing your price down to $10. The end result is the same price. The change came because of the change in the price of a node. Please feel free to contact our Sales team if you have additional questions. Keep in mind the discount is only on the first node.

davemon
11-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Is the $20 node cost guaranteed for the life of the account, like the $10 discount?