PDA

View Full Version : Error ZoneCheck

aberg
06-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I try to register a new domainname but it's not posible because I get this message:

Zone information
ns1.west-datacenter.net. 69.36.161.11
ns2.west-datacenter.net. 69.36.161.12

Progress
Progression Tests Speed Time
0% 0 --.-- --:--

nameserver addresses are all on the same subnet

Test results
---- fatal ----
IP addresses are all on the same subnet
Adv: ZoneCheck

To avoid loosing all connectivity with the autoritative DNS in case of network outage it is advised to host the DNS on different networks.

Ref: IETF RFC2182 (Abstract)

The Domain Name System requires that multiple servers exist for every delegated domain (zone). This document discusses the selection of secondary servers for DNS zones. Both the physical and topological location of each server are material considerations when selecting secondary servers. The number of servers appropriate for a zone is also discussed, and some general secondary server maintenance issues considered.

All the servers are in the subnet 69.36.161.0/24, try moving some of them to another subnet.

Any idea how I can resolved this?

wildjokerdesign
06-09-2009, 04:16 PM
If you are going to use the WestHost name servers then I doubt you'll be able to get around this. I am surprised that your registrar is so restrictive. While it may be a good idea to have your name servers on different subnets and separated physically I know there are many that are not. Most simply require that they be different IP's. Have you asked your registrar about this restriction and if there is a way around it?