PDA

View Full Version : Some Migration Questions

RMD
06-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm not an advanced user as most who are posting in this thread, so please forgive me if these questions seem obvious. If I choose to go to the shared server:

1. Will I be able to place a script outside the html folders and create a sym link?
2. Will I no longer be able to edit httpd.conf and php.ini files?
3. Can I install other applications/scripts instead of the ones you offer?
4. As WH doesn't always keep apps updated, can I install the latest updates myself (such as WordPress, phpMyAdmin, etc.)?
5. How does this affect my current account with unlimited domains?
6. If someone crashes their site, all sites on that shared server go down?

WestHost - JFillmore
06-02-2009, 08:58 AM
1. Will I be able to place a script outside the html folders and create a sym link?
-- Yes, you can.

2. Will I no longer be able to edit httpd.conf and php.ini files?
-- The httpd.conf file can no longer be customized, but cPanel still allows you to make a lot of customizations that would normally require root access. For example, you can easily configure Apache to treat .html files as PHP files for just your account. You will not be able to edit the server's php.ini file, but you can create your own to override values of your choosing.

3. Can I install other applications/scripts instead of the ones you offer?
-- In general that answer is yes, but there will be some things you can install in our current WestHost VPS environment that cannot be installed in cPanel. The vast majority of people won't have any problems, but advanced users who install things like TCP/IP proxy daemons will find that they need something more than cPanel.

4. As WH doesn't always keep apps updated, can I install the latest updates myself (such as WordPress, phpMyAdmin, etc.)?
-- The WestHost 4.0 environment will use Installatron, which not only allows much more control over how applications are installed (e.g. you can choose where to install them to), but it will make it MUCH easier to keep things up to date. However, you will still be able to install updates yourself if a new version isn't release as soon as you would like.

5. How does this affect my current account with unlimited domains?
-- If you have unlimited domains now then you will continue to have unlimited domains after the migration.

6. If someone crashes their site, all sites on that shared server go down?
-- Absolutely not. When someone "crashes their site" it typically means that the Apache process that was selected to serve a request from a Web site crashed (e.g. due to a segmentation fault caused by buggy code). When Apache is running there are lots of processes handling HTTP (and HTTPS) requests. If one process dies then the master Apache process simply starts another process to take its place. All of the other processes have no idea anything went wrong.

I hope that helps!

RMD
06-02-2009, 09:33 AM
You will not be able to edit the server's php.ini file, but you can create your own to override values of your choosing.Thank you for your prompt response! Yes, this one was a concern.

I'm sure I'm not using any advanced scripts. I do install/manage scripts via SFTP, only use SSH for cron jobs.

1. Will I have to use cPanel to install/manage my scripts?

2. The cron jobs run on Lynx—does this matter? I could never get these php scripts to run any other way.

choster
06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi all, we prepaid for a year at WH. If we migrate to VPS.net, can we get the remaining months credited towards the VPS.net plan, or is that forfeited? And if we migrate, what kind of transition period can we expect? How does the discount supposedly being offered get applied?

FWIW I'm another "5%-er" here; our sites are small in terms of visits and resource needs, but some of our apps will either not be possible in WH4 (e.g. customized Mailman) or I expect to run unacceptably slowly (e.g. Mediawiki, CiviCRM) in a shared environment, based on past experience. It's hard enough to maintain them in a jailshell environment (without cvs, wget, etc.), and painful to run without APC and memcache. Besides VPS.net we're investigating WiredTree, MediaTemple, and Linode.

chrishowie
07-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi all, we prepaid for a year at WH. If we migrate to VPS.net, can we get the remaining months credited towards the VPS.net plan, or is that forfeited? And if we migrate, what kind of transition period can we expect? How does the discount supposedly being offered get applied?
Hi choster!

I had the same question and found the answer on another thread:

If you are interested in signing up with VPS.NET you will receive a discount on your bill every month for being a current WestHost client. In addition, WestHost can credit your VPS.NET account for any unused portion of your pre-paid hosting with us (amounts will be prorated). If you need assistance with migration setup there is a service offered through VPS.NET that can assist you with this for an additional fee.
Hope this helps.