PDA

View Full Version : upset

nonvocalscream.com
05-17-2009, 01:20 PM
I contacted westhost today to discuss options.

They suggested if I need options such as compile and the ability to run my rsync I go to the unmanaged VPS.

I ordered a vps 3 days ago with another business.

I'm canceling that VPS. I have been attempting to configure it for three days now. It is too complicated. I'm not an accomplished linux administrator.

I don't know what to do when my account is upgraded to 4.0

I really don't.

It took me a few days to find WestHost, to provide me exactly what I need. I signed up with westhost expecting the feature set that was advertised.

I don't know what to do. The VPS option will not work for me. The new 4.0 will not work for me.

Jon

nonvocalscream.com
05-17-2009, 10:52 PM
They suggested if I need options such as compile and the ability to run my rsync I go to the unmanaged VPS.

Jon

For clarification, VPS.net.

wildjokerdesign
05-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Jon,
I know it is frustrating. I'll more then likely end up moving to vps.net and I actually have an account over there and am trying to get the hang of things. :) I am using test domains so it does not matter if I screw things up at this point.

Remember that once the time comes to move existing clients to WH 4.0, that I think they'll give folks help in moving over to vps.net if that is what they need. There has been mention of a concierge of sorts for those who need to move.

Getting a basic set up should be pretty easy over there at this point. One of the LAMP images and you should be up and running. While I am still struggling myself, I am more then happy to help in any way I can over on the vps.net forum. If I was not so stubborn and would install and use one of the control panels it would be easier for me. :) I am trying hard to learn how to do everything via the command line.

nonvocalscream.com
05-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Jon,
I know it is frustrating. I'll more then likely end up moving to vps.net and I actually have an account over there and am trying to get the hang of things. :) I am using test domains so it does not matter if I screw things up at this point.

Remember that once the time comes to move existing clients to WH 4.0, that I think they'll give folks help in moving over to vps.net if that is what they need. There has been mention of a concierge of sorts for those who need to move.

Getting a basic set up should be pretty easy over there at this point. One of the LAMP images and you should be up and running. While I am still struggling myself, I am more then happy to help in any way I can over on the vps.net forum. If I was not so stubborn and would install and use one of the control panels it would be easier for me. :) I am trying hard to learn how to do everything via the command line.
I looked up LAMP, seems like a simple toolset. Is there such a thing with mail control and a control panel, similar to WH 3.0?

wildjokerdesign
05-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Jon,
Over at vps.net they offer a control panel for free that will deal with controlling everything. It is a bit more complicated then the WH 3.0 but not to hard to learn. Right now they do not have an image set up for it but if you want to use it you contact tech and they create a license for the CP (It is a paid for app but vps.net is offering it to clients for free) and then you download and run an install script. Very painless. It is called ISPManager and you can see the info for it in the announcements over at the vps.net forum.

The learning curve on the program is not bad but you will need to take some time with it. There are some things that you many not need or want that it offers. One service I have turned off on mine is DNS bind. I am using the name servers that vps.net offers with accounts so don't need it.