PDA

View Full Version : Westhost 4.0

socomusic
03-17-2009, 04:33 PM
From what I can tell this will eventually be rolled out to everyone.

I am pretty excited about the possibility of moving to cPanel.

I have a few questions.....
1) Are we going to now get to choose which OS we want?
2) Will we actually be given true root access, or access to common linux programs such as apt-get, or be given the ability to install from rpm packages? This would make installing software so much easier. This is my biggest problem with installing software....since we don't have root access (and therefore access to specific directories), installing programs can be a complete pain.

WestHost - JFillmore
03-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Yes, you're right. cPanel will be used for both our shared hosting and our dedicated servers.

Our cPanel shared hosting clients will be in a traditional shared hosting environment. It will not be nearly as customizable our current WestHost VPS, but it should be considerably easier to use. Our dedicated servers will also use cPanel, but dedicated server owners will have access to WHM (Web Host Manager) to do for server and account administration. Because they are a managed service with a high level of support root access will not be provided.

If you want *full* root access with the ability to choose your OS we recommend the upcoming VPS.net. I highly recommend taking a look at the VPS.net website. It is currently in beta, but it will be launching quite soon.

Once it comes time to migrate away from our current WestHost VPS environment we expect that most of our clients will use and love cPanel shared hosting. However, for advanced clients like yourself we expect to make VPS.net available to you, which can include cPanel if you wish. While I can't give out more specific information than that right now, I can ensure you that client satisfaction will be an important factor in all of our decisions.

I hope that helps!

WVOz1970
03-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Hmmm.... if I read correctly then, I'll be losing the VPS environment when 4.0 rolls out? That's the main reason I came to Westhost, was reasonable pricing on virtual servers. My clients enjoy the virtual server atmosphere, please tell me that I'm not going to have to give it up.

WestHost - CReeves
03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
WVOz1970,

It is our intent to provide a solution for all of our current clients regardless of their situation. As mentioned those who still need the VPS model will have an alternative (VPS.net) solution instead of going to our shared cPanel environment. We unfortunately do not have all of the details but as Jonny mentioned client satisfaction will be an important priority through this transition. I would encourage you to watch for newsletters or announcements to our blog for additional details.

WVOz1970
03-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I'll be very interested in seeing what happens. I truly enjoy Westhost and the service I've received. If the pricing increases though, I will probably have to look elsewhere. Westhost has been very affordably priced and I'd hate to lose that.

socomusic
03-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I agree. I'm glad they will be giving us the options for VPS.net, but hopefully this doesn't mean a price increase. I might be able to handle a little bit of an increase if that meant true root access, so I guess we'll see.

danno
03-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I just caught this thread and want to express my vote that VPS.net does not include an increase in cost. If Westhost truly intends to allow customers to use their current plan, then please don't add one or two features to VPS.net and then raise the cost. I came to Westhost specifically because of the semi-root access and the cost of it. I'll wait and see how this rolls out. I see that customer satisfaction is important to you from the previous posts, but I wonder how this will impact the customers like me who love the current plan, have no need of additional features, and do not desire to pay more for the host whom they have referred people to.

dansroka
03-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I likewise chose Westhost for it's excellent implementation of VPS, one that was not too complex and not too simple. It is a unique product in a marketplace full of the same, and I truly hope this next version does not lose this middle ground.

How far in advance before the change happens will we learn the details (migration options, costs, etc.) of these new plans, so that we can figure out how it will impact us?

WVOz1970
03-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I, for one, have tried cPanel and can't stand it. When it comes to reseller management, it just did not perform anywhere near as easily as my tools here at WH have been. From day one at WestHost, I was able to set up my client's sites and get them using their back-end without any need for assistance. The host I tried before coming here was a cPanel setup and I was going crazy trying to figure out how to set up and then use the back end.

If the following quote (emphasis is mine) holds true from the WH blog, I will consider sticking around...

...When it comes time to migrate off of our current VPS environment we intend to be as flexible as we can to ensure we keep you as clients.

The standard migration path for our shared hosting and resellers is to migrate accounts into cPanel. However, as you have pointed out, weíre already aware that cPanel wonít work for everyone. For those who canít host their web site using our new cPanel shared hosting then we intend to migrate those accounts to VPS.net.

In all cases we hope to keep prices the same for existing clients. Weíll certainly have more specific information when we draw to migrating away from our current clients to our new hosting environment. If you would like to get a preview of what that new environment will be we are accepting beta testers at https://corp2.westhost.com/wh4betasignup/. We would love to hear any feedback you have!

-Jonny

Armadillo
03-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Well that's interesting, if they keep the price the same for existing clients.
A page (http://vps.net/blog/tag/price/) at VPS.net has prices starting at $30 per month.

My sites would probably do ok on shared hosting, as long as I could have multiple databases (the old shared platform only allowed one database) and php4. What if someone needs php5? How will that function in a shared environment?
I have made many tweaks to my vps (sendmail, htconfig, spamassassin, etc) that I doubt I could do with cPanel. I prefer the vps, but at a resonable price.

geniosity
03-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I love the idea of VPS.net, though I'm hoping my current pricing structure can stay the same (even if it's for the very basic version of VPS.net).

TonyL
04-08-2009, 02:08 PM
What is totally unclear is how my 25 VPS's on WestHost will translate into the VPS.net environment. I am sure that a few of my sites can use shared hosting, as long as there's enough php memory allowed (burstable to 64mb), and so perhaps they can stay on WestHost. But what about the majority of my customers?

How are the WestHost customers going to be handled who do need a VPS, when the VPS.net system is totally un-managed? I don't see a direct correlation between WestHost VPS systems and VPS.net offerings. I suspect that the man-hours involved to switch any given account will be significant.

RAlter
04-09-2009, 12:26 AM
I signed up with WestHost for the VPS, SSH, IP address, good price, freedom to install software of my choosing, and several other things that I need to have.

I had cPanel at one time and did not like it. They might be better now, but...

I was a beta tester on Site Manager 3.0, which is quite satisfactory, as long as I have ssh for full access to my server. I have signed up for beta testing of WestHost 4.0 so that I can see if it will work for me, but from the info I have read so far the new system will not provide the same capabilities that my account has now.

VPS.net may be acceptable if it includes the same capabilities as I have now for the same price I have now.

I have been with WestHost for more than 4 years and hope that I will not have to find another web hosting company (yet again).

rbredow
04-09-2009, 09:46 PM
This is very unfortunate news. I have several Westhost accounts and run sites on Westhost because of the ability to customize things beyond a normal shared hosting environment. I've spent a lot of hours customizing installations, designing background programs, writing a ticket support system that relies on an email being re-directed to a program, backup systems and even running an svn server that work great in this environment. I've enjoyed great service, reasonable speed, and great prices.

Now, it appears that I'm going to have to pay more for an unmanaged VPS solution AND reconfigure all the installations and applications--a lot of hours of work. I understand the need for upgrades, but please consider that by not making a good attempt at backwards compatibility, you're certainly going to be loosing a lot of your existing customers. I think it's odd that you would trade your unique and powerful hosting environment for a run-of-the-mill shared hosting environment that people can buy from anywhere.

If I have this right, I'm very disappointed. Sure hope you have a good refund policy for my pre-paid accounts.

andz
04-10-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm one of those numerous WH customers who have adjusted quite happily to the non-root VPS capabilities of the current plans. These offer a significant advantage over OpenVZ/Xen plans in many scenarios, specifically in faster roll-out of a lot of stuff including Tomcat.

I've already built a reseller model around this and I have to wonder how many of us will possibly be left twisting in the wind (so to speak) with this abrupt transition to "WH 4.0".

The VPS.net transition *might* be viable, but even at the same or nearly the same price, another big consideration is the headache of migrating current sites with customizations over to a completely new VPS environment and control panel (if one is provided).

Westhost should seriously consider extending the migration period to for such accounts (at the very least 6-12 months after a definitive decision - for VPS.net, not cPanel migration - has been announced).

I also don't think it would be unreasonable to expect a free or heavily discounted transition period especially for people who have hosted with them for quite some time. This would allow resellers to placate their existing customers who may have to undergo major changes in their site set up.

I'd be disappointed if the assurances being made were not backed up with concrete plans that ensure the high satisfaction levels WH customers are used to.

andz
04-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Westhost should seriously consider extending the migration period to for such accounts (at the very least 6-12 months after a definitive decision - for VPS.net, not cPanel migration - has been announced).

The reason for a minimum 12 month transition period is simple. It allows resellers to :

a) cease advertising of plans that rely on the current semi-VPS feature set
b) allow their current customers to fully complete the durations of their current paid plans without forcing them to switch environments if they don't want to.

(and if WH really wanted to ensure full satisfaction, something like an 18 months migration period would be far more welcome)

And finally, I'd really expect to see more, not less value from the VPS.net solution because it would really be an ironic step backwards otherwise.

The current WH VPS plans might not be full root VPSes but they have some very compelling advantages over Xen/OpenVZ plans:

1. free control panel
2. easy Tomcat rollout
3. much lower per-VPS cost
4. huge time/effort savings compared to setting up a distro-based VPS yourself

I am truly curious (and frankly, skeptical) as to how many, if any, of these unique advantages of the current WH setup can be preserved when transitioning, over to a VPS.net environment.

shakmatay
04-16-2009, 12:38 AM
It's taken a few days to process all this stuff about the new transition to come. And BAMM, tonight it hit me like a ton of bricks....

I want the added layer of security/privacy that a VPS offers (relative to a shared environment).

Okay, so my only option is to accept the vps.net offering when the migration to WH4.0 comes out.

OOPS! The VPS at vps.net is UNMANAGED.

That's it! I'm done. Sorry, but I gotta have a "managed" VPS solution.

I would LOVE to stay with WestHost, but there's no managed VPS on the horizon. Can someone recommend a reliable "managed" VPS Web host?

Sincerely,

Shakmatay
(happy WestHost Business PRO client since 2004)

Ditlev
04-16-2009, 05:24 AM
The current WH VPS plans might not be full root VPSes but they have some very compelling advantages over Xen/OpenVZ plans:

1. free control panel
2. easy Tomcat rollout
3. much lower per-VPS cost
4. huge time/effort savings compared to setting up a distro-based VPS yourself

I am truly curious (and frankly, skeptical) as to how many, if any, of these unique advantages of the current WH setup can be preserved when transitioning, over to a VPS.net environment.

1. We will have a free control panel for WestHost clients going on VPS.NET
2. We will have an image with Tomcat already setup and ready to run
3. You can install as many VPS's/Accounts/domains (as you know them from WestHost) as you want to on a *real* VPS server - so the cost *will* be lower per domain/account.
4. The way VPS.NET works you can launch new images/servers in no time.

I know and fully understand why you ask these questions, but the way VPS.NET is different.
On VPS.NET you get a set of resources (we call it a 'node'). As a minimum 256mb of ram, 400mhz of CPU and 10GB of diskspace. Now, those resources are 100% allocated to you - this is like your own fully private server, with full and unlimited root access. Obviously your normal/shared/pro account on WestHost does NOT give you guaranteed resources, as it is basically a shared hosting account where you share the server with all the other clients on the box.
On your VPS.NET server you will be able to setup all the domains/email/databases/etc as you want to. You can run the applications you'd like and set it up to fit your exact needs. We aim to make this costneutral (incl. control panel) for those WestHost clients who wish to move over. So, we would basically give you a full *real* VPS for the price you are paying for a limited shared VPS-like product now.

:)
D

Ditlev
04-16-2009, 05:26 AM
I love the idea of VPS.net, though I'm hoping my current pricing structure can stay the same (even if it's for the very basic version of VPS.net).

we are aiming to keep the price the same (what are you paying now?)

D

Ditlev
04-16-2009, 05:29 AM
It's taken a few days to process all this stuff about the new transition to come. And BAMM, tonight it hit me like a ton of bricks....

I want the added layer of security/privacy that a VPS offers (relative to a shared environment).

Okay, so my only option is to accept the vps.net offering when the migration to WH4.0 comes out.

OOPS! The VPS at vps.net is UNMANAGED.

That's it! I'm done. Sorry, but I gotta have a "managed" VPS solution.

I would LOVE to stay with WestHost, but there's no managed VPS on the horizon. Can someone recommend a reliable "managed" VPS Web host?

Sincerely,

Shakmatay
(happy WestHost Business PRO client since 2004)

yes, the VPS.net standard solution is unmanaged - we will have a managed add-on to it, but it will not be standard as it looks now.
The rationale is that those (~5% of the WestHost client database) of you that actually uses the vps-like-part of the WestHost solution, know your way around a server with a good control panel on it. You have been able to login to your current accounts via SSH and install custom applications/deamons/etc - and if you can do that you should be able to do most of what is needed to keep a standard VPS with a control panel running.

We will have a 'managed' upgrade to it, but that will be at additional cost.

D

Ditlev
04-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Well that's interesting, if they keep the price the same for existing clients.
A page (http://vps.net/blog/tag/price/) at VPS.net has prices starting at $30 per month.We will do very special pricing for current WestHost clients on VPS.NET. Those prices will only be available to current WestHost clients, and we are aiming to hit ~same price as the avg WestHost pricepoints, but for a *real* root-VPS with the redundancy of VPS.NET.

My sites would probably do ok on shared hosting, as long as I could have multiple databases (the old shared platform only allowed one database) and php4. What if someone needs php5? How will that function in a shared environment?

Yup, you can setup several databases on cPanel, and you can actually chose if you want to run php4 or 5.

D

WVOz1970
04-16-2009, 09:51 AM
yes, the VPS.net standard solution is unmanaged - we will have a managed add-on to it, but it will not be standard as it looks now.
The rationale is that those (~5% of the WestHost client database) of you that actually uses the vps-like-part of the WestHost solution, know your way around a server with a good control panel on it. You have been able to login to your current accounts via SSH and install custom applications/deamons/etc - and if you can do that you should be able to do most of what is needed to keep a standard VPS with a control panel running.

D

This concerns me... I am not hugely tech-savvy. I know enough to be dangerous :) What I have enjoyed about WH is that I have a VPS environment which I do not have to do a lot to "maintain". I can offer my clients plenty of tools that give them root-like access. If what I am reading here is correct, I'm going to have to learn how to actually manage a server or pay additional to have it managed?? So in essence, I'm probably not going to be able to continue to have 50G of space, 800G bandwidth, 5 dedicated IPs, etc. already apportioned and managed for $39/month (Reseller #2)?

I'm going to at least look a the cPanel offering in 4.0, but as I mentioned in another post, if it's anything like my past experiences, cPanel was one of the worst tools I ever used from a reseller perspective.

I really hope that a managed solution will be available on VPS.net at the current reseller pricing structure, but I'm getting less encouraged the more I read.

wildjokerdesign
04-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I too am leary about the move and what it would take to manage the server myself it I choose to move to vps.net but I think that if they can create an image over at vps.net that is close to what we have here to get us started that it might not be that hard to keep updated. I have been playing some with the vps.net system and via SSH and the apt-get command I think perhaps keeping current won't be that hard. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks over there and I think that if I get stuck they will be able to help me out via the Forum.

wildjokerdesign
04-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Ditlev,

Over at VPS.net you mentioned TeraCP (http://www.10tb.com/why-10tb/control-panel.php) and the fact that soon WestHost would be using it. Is this part of WH 4.0? It looks like a very slick app and easy to use.

bruce.binder
04-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Ditlev & Westhost:

We will do very special pricing for current WestHost clients on VPS.NET. Those prices will only be available to current WestHost clients, and we are aiming to hit ~same price as the avg WestHost pricepoints, but for a *real* root-VPS with the redundancy of VPS.NET.

If I can get the same (or near) bandwidth and storage at the same (or near) price at VPS.NET, then I'm happy. All of the shared accounts that I have or manage will work fine with either WH 4.0 or VPS.NET. "Umanaged" doesn't scare me. VPS.NET even solves some existing issues with the shared accounts, but going from $6.95 to $30.00 is not an option.

(Shawn, don't sell yourself short, anyone who is not intimidated by "configure;make;make install" should do fine.)

My remaining issue is a dedicated server account, but I am thinking I'll take that discussion up with support directly.

Thanks again for the good communication.

--
Bruce

Ditlev
04-16-2009, 03:32 PM
VPS.NET even solves some existing issues with the shared accounts, but going from $6.95 to $30.00 is not an option.

Right, and please understand this is a work in progress, so this is not set in stone or a guaranteed price.
The pricing for VPS.NET clients will start at $30 - but we are trying to make this work so current (only those of you who are actually clients at WestHost NOW) clients will get a $20 discount, fixing the price at $10/mo for a 256mb VPS.NET server.

Now, take a moment and read about the features, the redundancy and ressiliance and the $xxx.xxx we've put into the VPS.NET setup. It's a quite unique setup and an amazing deal totally unmatched anywhere on the net.

D

Ditlev
04-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Ditlev,

Over at VPS.net you mentioned TeraCP (http://www.10tb.com/why-10tb/control-panel.php) and the fact that soon WestHost would be using it. Is this part of WH 4.0? It looks like a very slick app and easy to use.

Yes, the interface of WH4 will be based on the same internally build platform as used on the TeraCP demo link above. It will look very different (well, colors etc will change), and we will simplify it a whole lot - but the approach and menu systems will be the same.

If you'd like to give that a go, login here:
http://cp.10tb.com
user: demo@10tb.com
pass: demo

Again, I need to emphasize that the 10tb.com version is branded to match the style of that website. Also, the functionality is targeted towards managing dedicated servers (and cpanel is not in there anywhere) and not a setup like WestHost with shared hosting etc. But take a look, it will give you a hint of where we are going with this and what sort of usability we will be introducing.

D

wildjokerdesign
04-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the Demo Ditlev! I really do like how it works. I also like that there is a downloadable App for it. It is sleek and simple.

WVOz1970
04-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Those of you who are starting to understand this whole thing, help me out here... I'm still trying to figure this out.

1) If I switch to VPS.net, what kind of package will I need there to emulate the Reseller #2? I currently manage 14 websites, 5 with dedicated IPs and the other 9 are name-based. I have 50G of web space and 800G of b/w.

2) Will I have to install control panels and everything at VPS.net for my clients? IOW, build a virtual server for each of them?

3) Probably not an answer to this as of yet, but how long will the discounted price be in effect for current WH people who switch? Is it going to only last for a certain time frame and then kick up to published VPS.net rates?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've got to figure out what I'm doing here. My clients like the access they get, but I'm not sure I've got the time or skills to install "servers" for each one of my clients.

WVOz1970
04-17-2009, 07:49 AM
And one other question that may have gotten lost in an earlier post, when do we get information on the beta testing? I signed up a month or two ago but haven't heard anything yet.

Ditlev
04-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Glad you asked those questions, I am sure this is what many of you are thinking about...

Those of you who are starting to understand this whole thing, help me out here... I'm still trying to figure this out.

I'll answer below, feel free to ask again if not clear!

1) If I switch to VPS.net, what kind of package will I need there to emulate the Reseller #2? I currently manage 14 websites, 5 with dedicated IPs and the other 9 are name-based. I have 50G of web space and 800G of b/w.

Do you know how much webspace/transfer you actually need/use? It is in your control panel. Let me know and I will be able to answer you clearly.
From a resource perspective, if you are on the shared reseller #2, then you are fine with the initial ($10 package) but you might need more space.

2) Will I have to install control panels and everything at VPS.net for my clients? IOW, build a virtual server for each of them?

No, there is a control panel server ready to install with a few clicks only. That control panel will have 2 levels, one for admins (you) and one for users (your clients).

3) Probably not an answer to this as of yet, but how long will the discounted price be in effect for current WH people who switch? Is it going to only last for a certain time frame and then kick up to published VPS.net rates?
No, your discount will be locked in for the time you stay with us.

Sorry for all the questions, but I've got to figure out what I'm doing here. My clients like the access they get, but I'm not sure I've got the time or skills to install "servers" for each one of my clients.

Glad you ask pls. keep questions coming.

D

Ditlev
04-17-2009, 07:57 AM
And one other question that may have gotten lost in an earlier post, when do we get information on the beta testing? I signed up a month or two ago but haven't heard anything yet.

I will get the info for you. The developers are still working on the platform, so it is not ready for beta just now...
D

wildjokerdesign
04-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Ditlev,

This confused me:

From a resource perspective, if you are on the shared reseller #2, then you are fine with the initial ($10 package) but you might need more space.

In vps.net terms, would that be a single node? I thought that two nodes where the min for running a "web site". I guess I am just having a hard time grasping the node system and thinking about the resources along with bandwidth and diskspace.

BTW: $10 is a killer price in my opinion and the fact that it is locked in for the duration of your account is above and beyond! If I could just get my utilities, ISP and phone service to commit to that things would be golden. :) Just to clarify things... if two month down the line we decided we wanted to add nodes to are account, would the cost be $10 per or the posted $30?

mmcbride
04-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Again, I want to thank all participants that have signed up for our 4.0 beta test. We're excited to get this offering out to new clients and then start the migration process from 3.0 to 4.0.

As Ditlev already mentioned, the developers are working hard to finalize our 4.0 hosting environment. There is a lot of work involved and still a bit left. We are tentatively planning to launch beta within the next three weeks. One week before beta starts all participants will receive a formal 'Welcome to 4.0 Beta' message with information to get started.

Matt

Ditlev
04-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Ditlev,
This confused me:
In vps.net terms, would that be a single node? I thought that two nodes where the min for running a "web site". I guess I am just having a hard time grasping the node system and thinking about the resources along with bandwidth and diskspace.

Think of it like this.

A normal shared physical hosting server is typically shared with 500-1000 other accounts, that may have 1-10 domains each. A VPS.NET physical server has less than 50 nodes. And it's equally or more powerful than the shared servers. So, you get at least 10 times the power with ONE node as you would get with a standard account on a shared hosting server...does that make it clearer?

A standard shared hosting server will have local drives, perhaps in raid5 or so, while the VPS.NET servers have centralized 'cloud' storage with super fast drives and Raid10 giving you so much faster disk access, and hence faster servers. It gets a bit geeky I know, but let me know if you have other questions!

VPS.NET is in the same DC in Salt Lake City as your current shared servers are. So network quality/uptime/speed is as you know it now.

BTW: $10 is a killer price in my opinion and the fact that it is locked in for the duration of your account is above and beyond! If I could just get my utilities, ISP and phone service to commit to that things would be golden. :) Just to clarify things... if two month down the line we decided we wanted to add nodes to are account, would the cost be $10 per or the posted $30?

thanks!

Like mentioned earlier on the forum, we have NOT set the price in stone for the vps.net offer to the WestHost clients. So, while I will be happy to discuss, and be as open as I possibly can, these are only the preliminary thoughts on how we could do this.

What we are really trying to make happen is to give a monthly fixed discount of $20. So, the price per node is $30, your discounted price will be $10. But - listprice for two nodes is $50, and as your discount of $20 would be fixed, your total price for two nodes would be $30/mo. Does that make sense?

This is the listprice:
http://ditlev.dk/price.png

And you can deduct $20 from the total cost listed...

again, ask ask ask all the questions you have - please keep them coming!

D

WVOz1970
04-17-2009, 09:25 AM
No, there is a control panel server ready to install with a few clicks only. That control panel will have 2 levels, one for admins (you) and one for users (your clients).

D

Once again, WestHost is proving to me why I came over here in the first place. You guys go above and beyond to try and help. I don't know off the top of my head how much b/w and space I'm currently using. When I get a few minutes later today I'll look and see.

I know they have already signed up beta users on VPS.net, but is there some type of a demo account that I could access to see the backroom/front room and how it works? Your responses are making me more comfortable with the fact that I will probably be able to manage the VPS environment, particularly with the forum users there appearing to be as helpful as they are here.

wildjokerdesign
04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
@Ditlev: Yes the $20 discount makes complete sense to me know... very clear. The way I was thinking about it at first was not good business sense on your part so this is actually reassuring that while you want to give current clients a break you don't plan to break yourself. :)

@WVOz1970 I believe there is an added cost for cPanel per month because of licensing of the product. Ditlev could clarify this I am sure. There are other options to using cPanel though, some of them free.

Ditlev
04-17-2009, 02:53 PM
@Ditlev: Yes the $20 discount makes complete sense to me know... very clear. The way I was thinking about it at first was not good business sense on your part so this is actually reassuring that while you want to give current clients a break you don't plan to break yourself. :)

Glad to hear it makes sense now!

@WVOz1970 I believe there is an added cost for cPanel per month because of licensing of the product. Ditlev could clarify this I am sure. There are other options to using cPanel though, some of them free.

This would not be cPanel. CPanel is simply to heavy to run on one node, its not made for it. I am working very hard with 2 other control panels that we've tested very thoroughly with one node, and they are both blazing fast. I have my personal favorite, but before making finalizing the deal with the provider I won't go public :)

D

djdeth
04-19-2009, 01:51 PM
The price is currently $10 a month at VPS.net. https://vps.net/vps-signup

Is that what we are getting? I don't see the discount we are getting as westhost members? When can we start to get everything moved over?

EDIT: Also, if we upgrade, is it $10 a month for an extra node?

Ditlev
04-19-2009, 07:42 PM
The price is currently $10 a month at VPS.net. https://vps.net/vps-signup

Is that what we are getting? I don't see the discount we are getting as westhost members? When can we start to get everything moved over?

VPS.NET is still in beta until the end of this month, that is why the cost currently is $10.
These are the prices come May (for NON-WestHost clients):

EDIT: Also, if we upgrade, is it $10 a month for an extra node?
Like mentioned earlier on the forum, we have NOT set the price in stone for the vps.net offer to the WestHost clients. So, while I will be happy to discuss, and be as open as I possibly can, these are only the preliminary thoughts on how we could do this.

What we are really trying to make happen is to give a monthly fixed discount of $20. So, the price per node is $30, your discounted price will be $10. But - listprice for two nodes is $50, and as your discount of $20 would be fixed, your total price for two nodes would be $30/mo. Does that make sense?

D

djdeth
04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
VPS.NET is still in beta until the end of this month, that is why the cost currently is $10.
These are the prices come May (for NON-WestHost clients):

D

That does make sense :) Please let me know when this is ready to start and transfer.

maida
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I also enjoy the VPS environment, and I'm concerned about how the move to 4.0 will affect my clients.

I've been with Westhost for over 10 years, and recalling the WestHost 2.0 migration still gives me twitches (remember *that*, Shawn?). 3.0 went much more smoothly, of course.

Will there be a "concierge" to help resellers like me figure out the best way to transfer sites to the new platform? I am currently on the Reseller 2 plan with A LOT of add-ons, mainly for additional IP based accounts.

How will that translate? Will the shared hosting also have the ability to have an IP based account? We have run into a lot of issues with domains on named based accounts having their email marked as SPAM.

The majority of my client accounts would be okay on a shared hosting platform - I only have 3-4 where I require the VPS environment. What would that mean for me?

Ditlev
04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
I also enjoy the VPS environment, and I'm concerned about how the move to 4.0 will affect my clients.

I've been with Westhost for over 10 years, and recalling the WestHost 2.0 migration still gives me twitches (remember *that*, Shawn?). 3.0 went much more smoothly, of course.

Will there be a "concierge" to help resellers like me figure out the best way to transfer sites to the new platform? I am currently on the Reseller 2 plan with A LOT of add-ons, mainly for additional IP based accounts.

How will that translate? Will the shared hosting also have the ability to have an IP based account? We have run into a lot of issues with domains on named based accounts having their email marked as SPAM.

The majority of my client accounts would be okay on a shared hosting platform - I only have 3-4 where I require the VPS environment. What would that mean for me?

I think the idea of a "concierge" is excellent! Would be the ideal way of handling this.
The guys doing the WH3->4 migration will be pretty much the same that did the 2->3, and they know that doing this slooowly and controlled is key.

And yes, you can allocate IP's to single domains inside your reseller account. It's very easy to do actually.
We would have to look at what custom setup you've setup for those vps-like accounts you mention before we can say what route they need to take.

D

wildjokerdesign
04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes I do remember "that" Madia. :) Have you seen this thread yet? http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=13351

I wish there was some way to get these two threads tied together.... they keep hitting on the same questions. Maybe we need a new forum added just for WestHost 4.0 and keep the relevant threads there. This would also let use ask specifics that could be answered without having them get lost in long threads. ;)

wildjokerdesign
04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I see Ditlev posted while I was replying. :) I do love the "concierge" idea it was kind of what I was trying to get at in the other thread.

maida
04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I think that breaking out a 4.0 Migration forum would be great. Also, compiling an FAQ or some kind of guide/overview would be great.

I did see the other thread, but it started delving into details about stacks, nodes, 32vs64 bit OS and so forth that went *way* over my head.

I'm a website designer/developer, and other than the occasional SSH access and php.ini modifications, oh, and poking around in the /etc/ directory, I don't go much farther into the server administration. I am about to embark on my first project using ImageMagick, and I'm not sure what access I will need for that.

I have 15-20 clients through my reseller account and another 10 or so who have their own WestHost accounts, because after a while, I found it easier for WestHost to bill them than for me to remember to bill them.

I actually wouldn't mind getting out the reseller thing and just having my own VPS account for the sites I run (for my business/family/community) and migrating everyone else to their own shared hosting account, billed by WestHost directly. I hadn't realized when I went to a reseller account, that I would lose the "free month of service" for each new client I had that signed up.

So, yes, a concierge would be a great thing for me. There are a number of WestHost support employees that I have a good rapport with (mostly the ones who are working around midnight-2 AM MDT) that would be great concierges for me through this process.

I'd like to know more about the timeline, too. I'll have to cut my project load during the bulk of the transition time.

Thanks for the replies. It's helping me feel slightly less anxious about the migration to 4.0 ;)

wildjokerdesign
04-21-2009, 06:33 AM
There is a WH4.0 FAQ :) http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=13529 Everything is kind of spread out.

WVOz1970
04-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I finally had time to look at my account usages. Help me understand what I will need if I switch to VPS.net. I currently have 11 accounts on reseller #2. 5 IP-based and 6 name-based. Right now, they use a total of 6gigs of space, but one of the sites is implementing a photo database, so my guess is we could easily hit 10+ gigs overall. B/W usage is probably between 5-15gigs, depending on the month. Will a 2-node plan handle all of these? After the discussed discount, that would be close to what I'm paying now for reseller 2.

Also, to show how little I still understand this technology, will I be able to decide if I'm assigning an IP-based or a name-based server? Or are they all IP-based? I'm really confused on how that part is going to work. I've got a number of clients running donation or ecommerce options, so having IP based is a must for certs.

I'm sure I will continue to have a lot of questions... I am glad to hear that the migration of existing side is not happening until later this year. I was afraid the May date was when it all was happening.

Ditlev
04-21-2009, 01:32 PM
There is a WH4.0 FAQ :) http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=13529 Everything is kind of spread out.

Good point, so we've setup this (http://forums.westhost.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143) forum for WH4 discussions, that should make the overview better.

D

Ditlev
04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I finally had time to look at my account usages. Help me understand what I will need if I switch to VPS.net. I currently have 11 accounts on reseller #2. 5 IP-based and 6 name-based. Right now, they use a total of 6gigs of space, but one of the sites is implementing a photo database, so my guess is we could easily hit 10+ gigs overall. B/W usage is probably between 5-15gigs, depending on the month. Will a 2-node plan handle all of these? After the discussed discount, that would be close to what I'm paying now for reseller 2.
Yes, you should be fine on two nodes!

Also, to show how little I still understand this technology, will I be able to decide if I'm assigning an IP-based or a name-based server? Or are they all IP-based? I'm really confused on how that part is going to work. I've got a number of clients running donation or ecommerce options, so having IP based is a must for certs.

Both WH4 and VPS.NET lets you setup name-based and IP-based domains.
On VPS.NET you get free and unlimited COMODO certs though. You will find this to be a significant source of income...

D

WVOz1970
04-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes, you should be fine on two nodes!

Both WH4 and VPS.NET lets you setup name-based and IP-based domains.
On VPS.NET you get free and unlimited COMODO certs though. You will find this to be a significant source of income...

D

This is good to know... but are we limited to the number we can set up, or is it strictly the server size limitation? IOW, do I have to buy IP allotments like I do now if I need more than 5 IP based servers? Could I make all 11 of my accounts IP based for the same price? This is where I'm still confused...

Ditlev
04-21-2009, 01:45 PM
This is good to know... but are we limited to the number we can set up, or is it strictly the server size limitation? IOW, do I have to buy IP allotments like I do now if I need more than 5 IP based servers? Could I make all 11 of my accounts IP based for the same price? This is where I'm still confused...

On WH4 we will pass on the IP space you have now. On VPS.NET you get one IP per node, and you can buy additional IP's for $1/month/ip.

D

NullMind
04-21-2009, 02:05 PM
On WH4 we will pass on the IP space you have now. On VPS.NET you get one IP per node, and you can buy additional IP's for $1/month/ip.

Actually, just a small correction here, you get 1 free IP per VPS. :)

robertpaxton
04-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Hello!

I ended up choosing WestHost because of its flexibility in a quaintly limited way...our organization uses email discussion and distribution lists heavily, and we've LOVED our ability to install GNU Mailman and set up, tear down and configure email lists at will.

We're pretty light users otherwise, and I don't have a philosophical problem with a shared cPanel environment.

My question is: what provision in the WH 4.0 environment will be made for email list work? Not just announcements (like Dada Mail or PHPList), but also fully-hosted discussion lists.

Thanks!

Ditlev
04-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Hello!

I ended up choosing WestHost because of its flexibility in a quaintly limited way...our organization uses email discussion and distribution lists heavily, and we've LOVED our ability to install GNU Mailman and set up, tear down and configure email lists at will.

We're pretty light users otherwise, and I don't have a philosophical problem with a shared cPanel environment.

My question is: what provision in the WH 4.0 environment will be made for email list work? Not just announcements (like Dada Mail or PHPList), but also fully-hosted discussion lists.

Thanks!

Sounds good, glad to hear cPanel will work out for you.

cPanel comes with a very good mail list for this purpose.
Mailing lists can simplify sending messages to a large group of people. You can add a group of email addresses to a mailing list to avoid typing in those addresses each time a mailing is sent. This can be very useful when sending newsletters or other updates to large groups of people. You can configure specific settings for your list once it is created by clicking on Modify. It can both handle news-letter one way mail-outs, or two ways discussions like you request.
You can read more about it here: http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html - it seems to be the same you are running now...

It is already installed as standard on cPanel, so nothing has to be configured.

On top of that we have bought licenses for Installatron that will enable this list of scripts: http://installatron.com/versions for all clients. So from WH4.0 all clients can install all those scripts with one click for free.

D

neilh
04-24-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm concerned about being forced to upgrade to 4.0 without the ability to trial it.
We choose westhost for the VPS, and that java/tomcat was supported - so now we need to try to see if these work as well in any new environment.:mad:

I'm starting to sell services based on our current environment, so this is going to be a major bummer if the plug is pulled for any reason.
I'd like to ask for
1) being able to request to not be automatically upgraded
2) an opportunity to try each environment to see what works best.

My initial reaction is I'll have to trial VPS.net

Thanks for every ones elses posts for explaining the situation in some depth.

wildjokerdesign
04-24-2009, 03:38 PM
neilh,

Contact WH supprot direct about getting on the beta trial of 4.0. There was a sign up form at one time but not sure it is still active. You would do better to talk to them direct.

epicheirimatias
04-24-2009, 11:55 PM
What I would like see with 4.0 is added ability of selection of languages for resellers. 3.0 can't be translated into any other languages, but I think cpanel does it by default.

tesla
04-28-2009, 07:34 AM
I sent an email to you ditlev on the 14th, but maybe this forum is better. I will copy and paste with some minor edits to remove personal info.

I have been reading up on the web and am wondering if i need to be concerned.

I know you are busy and if there is someone else you want to forward this to please do.

I have been customers of westhost from 2003 or first of 2004 for my main business/website

I now have a dedicated server, and on my wife site www.expressionsdancecenter.com i just paid a fair amount of money getting specialty software on the vpn so People could upload all types of video and and the site automatically converts them.

here are some of the things they set up.

Using the server access details provided we setup your server with all necessary software for the processing and conversion of all major video formats. (For your records, the following packages have been compiled and installed on your server: libogg, libvorbis, amr, faad2, lame, flvtool2, mplayer, ffmpeg, ffmpeg-php)

also it has been configured to use the Advanced Perl Upload method which means your users can upload large videos files and a dynamic progress bar will be displayed. This feature has been successfully tested and used to upload video files. All major video formats have been uploaded and successfully automatically converted. These can be viewed on your website and you may delete any of our videos which you do not want to keep.
' From creator of the custom program.

What is the upgrade 4.0 going to do with my dedicated server and how i have things ?
How many nodes come with a dedicated server...
From the little i read at VPS.net will you even need or still offer a fully dedicated server as "nodes" seem to make this no longer needed.
Can you give a price range for the cost of the additional managed server ? While I have learned some about ssh I do not have the time to manage myself. I moved to a fully managed dedicated server because i was timing out with my main site.
DO all vps.net accounts have the nightly back ups or is this extra ?
Depending on how the upgrade/transfer goes it think i may be able to "downgrade" as i do not use all my resources now so it is possible with less cost there i could afford the "managed" nodes, but i am concerned about this.
With a dedicated server do we have to wait for the upgrade or can we transfer over sooner if it fits. I hate adding features and spending money on custom work on my current vps account then have to spend it again...

Michael

Ditlev
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
What is the upgrade 4.0 going to do with my dedicated server and how i have things ?
How many nodes come with a dedicated server...
From the little i read at VPS.net will you even need or still offer a fully dedicated server as "nodes" seem to make this no longer needed.
Can you give a price range for the cost of the additional managed server ? While I have learned some about ssh I do not have the time to manage myself. I moved to a fully managed dedicated server because i was timing out with my main site.
DO all vps.net accounts have the nightly back ups or is this extra ?
Depending on how the upgrade/transfer goes it think i may be able to "downgrade" as i do not use all my resources now so it is possible with less cost there i could afford the "managed" nodes, but i am concerned about this.
With a dedicated server do we have to wait for the upgrade or can we transfer over sooner if it fits. I hate adding features and spending money on custom work on my current vps account then have to spend it again...

Michael

Getting stuff to work on a dedicated server is a bit easier, as we would not have to consider how the special installs would effect other clients on the server.

Around a year from now an upgrade process from WH3-4 will be initiated on your dedicated server. So your platform will change, but in the process we will - pending documentation etc - migrate your specialized installs over to the new platform.
Unless you want to move to VPS.NET you would actually stay on the same hardware, so what ever power/resources you have now is what you would have by then. So, for dedicated servers you would not have to move to VPS.NET to get all your special needs catered to as they should be installable on your dedicated server.
Again, you can move to VPS.NET, and many of our dedicated server clients across UK2Group.com has decided to do so - it would offer a whole lot more redundancy and a more scalable uptime. But if you are happy with your current setup you might just want to stay as is.
You would not have to get managed service from VPS.NET as you could stay with WestHost if you wanted to.
Backups are priced starting at $5/month and up to $30/month - depending on how many nodes you have.
That is a good point, and one of the main reasons for people moving to the VPS.NET cloud. You only pay for what you actually need/use - so chances are that you could get setup a whole lot cheaper.
Because of these discussions, I've had quite a few clients that - WH4 or not - would prefer to be moved over to VPS.NET. I've credited their accounts with any prepaid they have left at WestHost, and given them the $20 WestHost discount for life.

Hope that helps - Let me know if you have other questions!

D

tesla
04-30-2009, 04:58 PM
1 .Any idea what the price would be for the managed vps that still lets us install custom stuff ?

I have been looking some but didn't find it yet.

2. how many sites can you put on vps ? if you had 3 nodes because one site had some heavy traffic at times, but wanted to put other sites on that same vps, can they each have their own IP or is the ip VPS specific ?

3. can my current vps be moved directly over to vps.net or would I need to be a clean install ?

4. The only reason I can see right now to keep the dedicated server is the hard drive space, everything else so far seems better with VPS.net using nodes

but this does get kind of close at the 7+ nodes price.

where are the vps.net servers located and where is the support staff ?
Is it the same 24/7 support ?
Michael

wildjokerdesign
05-01-2009, 07:41 AM
The planned pricing for this service is £39 / $69 Per VPS per month
(Reference (http://vps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=216))

2. Depending on the traffic the sites are getting depends on how many you would want to put on one node. If you are planning on going with 3 nodes, I be you would be fine. Yes they could each have their own IP. (refrence (http://vps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=209))

3. Pretty sure that this would need to be a manual move but whether they would be willing to do it for you or not I couldn't say. :)

There are servers located in both the UK and US. You have the choice of which servers to use. The US servers are the same location as the WH servers.

Support has now been handed over to the 24/7 server support team dealing with dedicated servers across UK2Group. They are very talented individuals, and you will be in good hands. Currently it's only our UK based team, but in time our teams in Chicago and Utah will also step in. (refrence (http://vps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55))

aberg
05-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Sorry, maybe I don't understand this all but what will happen with the semi-dedicated plans?
I have this account and I have also some custom scripts install on the server.
Will they migrate this to the new webhost 4.0 plan? or must I install everything again?

WestHost - CReeves
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM
aberg,

We will be offering Semi-dedicated plans on WestHost 4.0. The transition for clients on the Semi-dedicated plan will be similar to those on our standard Web hosting plans. Most custom scripts should migrate over without any problems.

WestHost - JFillmore
05-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Hello aberg,

I just wanted to back up what Clint Reeves stated and say that we will be doing our best to ensure that migrations from 3.0 to 4.0, regardless of service plan, are as painless for you as possible. We recognize that many of our clients have installed custom scripts and will certainly take that into account during the migration process.

kannary
05-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Long time customer with clients on their own WH accounts.

I just bought-n-cancelled the reseller plan 1 after I found out about this situation. I am part of that 5% everyone keeps throwing around.

I won't repeat the same mantra over as I am sure you all heard it many times by now: Love WH, hate the situation, understand the whole end-of-life for Sphera, feeling very suspicious of VPS.net and this new environment, etc, etc.

A few thoughts:

A) - Sure, it may be only 5%, but here is a fact you may or may have not considered: How many of your non-referral accounts are "blind referrals" by developers like me who are also users and who do not use reseller accounts or do the affiliate thing? By this I mean, customers that you got because their developer send them your way BECAUSE of the VPS set up? I, for example, never did the reseller to (I was about to), and I never used the affiliate banner though I singed up for it a few years back. When my clients sign up with WH I never, EVER tell them to put me down as a referral - I think it is tacky and makes the type of clients I handle suspicious. I know for a fact I have (or had at one point) as much as 10 non-referral clients in WH who are completely off the radar in so far as the 5% estimate. In my case that is a ratio of 1 to 10.

Now, why would recommend clients to a VPS when perhaps they can simply use a shared hosting account? And the answer is what counts here: Flexibility and experience. That is... Hey, the client maybe wants a simple site now, but what if he or she came back with an idea for ANOTHER site or ANOTHER feature or ANOTHER customization that could not be done on a shared server? Well, as a developer I rest at ease knowing if that ever happened I had the tools, the access and the resources to do it.

Ladies and gentlemen at WH, THAT is a problem, VPS.net and all. Those are real numbers you need to start looking into. How many of your clients are "blind referrals"?

B) Something smells fishy in England. Don't know why, don't know how bad, but I just...Uhmm. And hey, I went to VPS.net, I read, I played around with the node selector, etc, etc. But so far, I see no organized "WH-to-VPS.net" plan of attack. Having skipped over Virtuozzo and other mid-level VPS solutions and getting rid of this unique mid-level product NON EXISTANT ANYWHERE ELSE just has such an estrange vibe to it.

In many ways, WH is writing hosting history. How well or bad you manage to pull this off will become a case study for the industry. EVERYONE is watching and your competitors are preparing to come in and pick your clients off like seagulls on an anchovies bait ball. The fact that current customers like me are EVEN starting to look elsewhere should worry you A LOT.

Why go to VPS.net? I mean, if I am going to have to reconfigured and fix all these websites... Then any cloud hosting VPS will do. And they are starting to pop up everywhere.

C) I could get away with shared hosting for most clients, but the lack of FFmpeg is a killer for some of them. Absolutely a dead fish in the water.

You guys are nice people and I always liked your tech support and your service.

DON'T BLOW IT.

wildjokerdesign
05-02-2009, 07:15 AM
kannary,

The lack of FFmpeg on the shared accounts was a bit of bummer to me also. :) I can see a lot of customers wanting to have "stuff" on their sites that will need that down the line. I know it can eat up resources but perhaps that means that more resources need to be added but... the other day it dawned on me that not everything has to be handled at the same place! This was a bit of an ah ha moment for me. I think a person could buy a single node over at vps.net and have it take care of "special" task. Now the problem is how to make that easy to do since. I know having your webpage and email handled separately is pretty easy but have not fully looked at how to do it with other things.

With all the said above I still think that at some point WH is going to have to look at adding something like FFmpeg. Are society has become very interactive and is no longer satisfied with just static text pages with images on them. ;)

aberg
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks Clint and Jonny for your answer.
Its for me a reassurance to read your answers.
I'am satisfied with Westhost. :)

socomusic
05-05-2009, 01:40 AM
I am currently on the business pro plan and I get 60GB of disk space.

The problem is at VPS.net, you can't get that kind of disk space unless you pay for 6 nodes which is probably overkill on the need of ram and bandwidth issues.

1) Since I am an existing WH customer, will it be possible to get some sort of custom plan with increased disk space (I'm even willing to sacrifice bandwidth if necessary). I thought disk space is really cheap these days?

2) Can someone enlighten me to the approximate processing power available on the business pro plan? In other words, how many "nodes" worth do I need for an equivalent of what I currently have on the business pro plan VPS?

Thanks!

wildjokerdesign
05-05-2009, 07:40 AM
vps.net is planning to offer the ability to add disk space or bandwidth to your vps without the other resources.

In the past it has been mentioned that a single node is an allotment of processing power way above what anyone has now. You could start there and see. The beauty of vps.net is that you can add a node at any time. You can even schedule a node to be added for a short period of time if you know traffic will spike because of a promotion or something.

alien
05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I've followed the 4.0 discussion with interest, but not in its excruciating detail for months. I've searched this thread for mention of SSH, after looking at the 3.0 vs. 4.0 feature list, and seeing the footnoted "checkmark" for SSH.

The footnote reads "Not offered on all shared hosting plans."

If clarity was intended, this curious wording does not provide it. Does this mean Not offered on shared hosting plans (as in not offered on ANY shared hosting plans), or Only offered on some shared hosting plans?

If the former, why isn't this a RED X instead of a checkmark? If the latter, which ones?

Whether I'm in the 5% that can't live without root-like access remains to be seen. I wouldn't think so, and I would think that my needs can be met through a web GUI (even though, YUK, in general), with perhaps some loss of convenience. I DO want the service I've been getting, with WestHost providing most of the environment in a managed, package deal.

I made a list of what I've used SSH for, and nothing stands out as a show-stopper if I were to lose it. I imagine I'd have to give up symlinks? And dealing with MySQL from the command line?

(And just to provide context: I currently have a personal site hosted here, and manage another for a church. That's hosted here because of my personal endorsement, and I've been happy to endorse WestHost to others. With the move to 4.0, I'm waiting to see how it goes, and raise my hand for the "please don't blow it" request.")

WestHost - CReeves
05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Tom,

I apologize for any confusion. To answer your question SSH will be offered on some of our shared hosting plans. Once we have finalized which plans will include SSH we will definitely post that. Thank you for the question.

aberg
05-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I have take a look on the Comparison Page.
What I missing is a similar opcode cache program.
Now I have install eAccelerator but this will be not included in westhost 4.0
I running Vbulletin and they recommend that vBulletin 3.8.x is run on PHP 5.2.9 with APC (or a similar opcode cache) and MySQL 5.1.32 for best performance and stability.
Will this mean that the min. requires for Vbulletin will be not supported on the new westhost 4.0?
If so than I have no other choose to search for a other hostcompany.

A other programm what I'am missing is FFMPEG.
Since more and more hosters support FFMPEG I had expect that this will be also on the new westhost 4.0

Sorry, but I'am not excited as Clint.
What I see is a lot of programs ( content management systems - community - E-commerce and Business) but most of them will be not installed through existing cliŽnts.
They already have I website and most of them will not change there site.
I visit regulair the forum and most of topics are questions about custom programs.
That's the reason that I don't understand why there is a decrease from development scripts.
Is there with westhost 4.0 root access possible to install custom scripts?

Armadillo
05-07-2009, 12:20 AM
On SSH, the current Personal Basic Plan does not have SSH so I guess that will probably not change. The Personal Starter Plan does have SSH currently.
Will WH4 have SFTP?

kdr22
05-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I have read everything I can find here in the forums and the 4.0 F.A.Q. and I have yet to find how this migration will affect account packages.

For instance, I have the Winter Holiday Special package that includes a dedicated IP, unlimited domains, 1,000 email accts, 50,000 MB disk storage, 1024000 MB bandwidth - all for $10 a month (paid annually) for life.

Will this still be honored after the migration or not?
:confused:

Ditlev
05-08-2009, 02:44 AM
I have read everything I can find here in the forums and the 4.0 F.A.Q. and I have yet to find how this migration will affect account packages.

For instance, I have the Winter Holiday Special package that includes a dedicated IP, unlimited domains, 1,000 email accts, 50,000 MB disk storage, 1024000 MB bandwidth - all for $10 a month (paid annually) for life.

:confused:

YES! we will honor all deals made pre-4.0. We will give you the same or better deal as you had before, and you will be getting all these new feature (http://www.westhost.com/30to40comparison.html)s on top for free.

Best,
Ditlev

Ditlev
05-08-2009, 02:47 AM
I have take a look on the Comparison Page.
What I missing is a similar opcode cache program.
Now I have install eAccelerator but this will be not included in westhost 4.0
I running Vbulletin and they recommend that vBulletin 3.8.x is run on PHP 5.2.9 with APC (or a similar opcode cache) and MySQL 5.1.32 for best performance and stability.
Will this mean that the min. requires for Vbulletin will be not supported on the new westhost 4.0?
If so than I have no other choose to search for a other hostcompany.

A other programm what I'am missing is FFMPEG.
Since more and more hosters support FFMPEG I had expect that this will be also on the new westhost 4.0

Sorry, but I'am not excited as Clint.
What I see is a lot of programs ( content management systems - community - E-commerce and Business) but most of them will be not installed through existing cliŽnts.
They already have I website and most of them will not change there site.
I visit regulair the forum and most of topics are questions about custom programs.
That's the reason that I don't understand why there is a decrease from development scripts.
Is there with westhost 4.0 root access possible to install custom scripts?

cPanel (the core of WestHost 4.0) has the largest userbase in the mass-market hosting scene, and is fully capable of running vBulletin.
I will look into FFMPEG.
And yes, you can install all the custom scripts you'd need to, either using ssh access or simply via webinstallers incl. phpmyadmin that comes incl. with WH4.

D

kdr22
05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
GOOD! I did a screen capture of your reply just in case anyone decides they want to try and change it up on me like happened here once before.
=======================
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr22

----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditlev
YES! we will honor all deals made pre-4.0. We will give you the same or better deal as you had before, and you will be getting all these new features on top for free.

Best,
Ditlev

kdr22
05-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I just looked over at GoDaddy's shared hosting package (that is where I registered my domains), and from what I can see thus far from the 4.0 comparison page, GoDaddy's package is better - and cheaper!

I came here because of the WestHost VPS alternative to shared hosting. Since that is no longer an affordable (or managed) option, it will really take something fantastic in the beta testing to get me to stick with WH. And if I am not a part of the beta test, then I can see no reason to stick around. I was just getting ready to launch a major campaign, but if I cannot count on WH, then I am willing to forfeit the 6 months I have left here and move on.

But then, I doubt WH really cares about me, since I'm not part of the 5%. Right?

wildjokerdesign
05-10-2009, 07:41 AM
kdr22,
You might be surprised at how much WH does care. I think they have really demonstrated that they are willing to bend over backwards to accommodate everyone. While pricing may be better over at Godaddy, is the service itself or support going to be the same. There is so much more the just price in choosing a host. Have you ever been able to speak back and forth with the CEO of GoDaddy on their forum? Do they have a forum? :)

Ive had many of the same fears and thoughts as you have but if you'll take the time to read through the reply from Ditlev and other WH representatives you might find your mood changing.

kdr22
05-10-2009, 05:27 PM
kdr22,
You might be surprised at how much WH does care. I think they have really demonstrated that they are willing to bend over backwards to accommodate everyone. While pricing may be better over at Godaddy, is the service itself or support going to be the same. There is so much more the just price in choosing a host. Have you ever been able to speak back and forth with the CEO of GoDaddy on their forum? Do they have a forum? :)

Ive had many of the same fears and thoughts as you have but if you'll take the time to read through the reply from Ditlev and other WH representatives you might find your mood changing.

Uh, as a matter of fact, yes! In fact, when I transfered my domains from Enom over to GoDaddy, Bob Parsons called me to thank me for my business and to inquire as to my goals for the sites. I never received personal attention like that from anyone at WestHost!

And as I said, the shared hosting package is BETTER than the one WH lists on it's comparison page AND is cheaper. All one needs to do is browse the GoDaddy site and you can make your own comparison. You will see that GoDaddy truly does offer a better shared hosting package for less $.

WestHost - CReeves
05-11-2009, 07:32 AM

================================

kdr22,

I think you will be pleased to find that you will actually retain all of the items you listed through the migration process (with the exception of the managed VPS environment). Also, as Ditlev mentioned you will be getting additional features for free on top of that.

I definitely praise Bob for his efforts and attention to you. I am confident however, that the ongoing support and follow through offered by WestHost far exceeds that of your average hosting company. Of course, as the Client Service Manager of WestHost I may be a little bit bias. :)

Although the beta testing has been closed if you would like to participate send me an email and I’ll do everything I can to get you added (creeves@westhost.com). We want you to feel very comfortable with the upcoming changes. You can be confident that we will still be providing you the same world class service that we have prided ourselves in.

kdr22
05-12-2009, 12:31 AM
kdr22,
Although the beta testing has been closed if you would like to participate send me an email and Iíll do everything I can to get you added (creeves@westhost.com). We want you to feel very comfortable with the upcoming changes. You can be confident that we will still be providing you the same world class service that we have prided ourselves in.

I signed up for beta testing the first I heard of it (when it was made public in the newsletter). How very sad to learn that it filled up so quickly, but then again, I already know how to use Cpanel, as I have had shared hosting before.

Everything I have seen and read here regarding the change from VPS to shared hosting is very disappointing and not at all encouraging. Especially the expensive and unmanaged VDS option.

I want to say that my time with WH has been good for the most part. There was that time I had signed up for a lifetime rate and then was told it was only good if I renewed it in 2 yr increments that nearly chased me away - but the excellent VPS package kept me around. Now that it is history, there is nothing here for me. Your new shared hosting package does not even begin to compare with GoDaddy's. And GoDaddy has EXCELLENT support - forums, phone support, the whole nine yards. So I guess it is time to say adiůs WestHost.

WestHost - CReeves
05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
kdr22,

I respect your position on this matter although I do hope that you reconsider. WestHost has excellent, timely, support with a highly skilled staff. In my view and most of our clients would agree, there isnít a better team anywhere in the industry. We also offer better server reliability then many major hosting companies.

If you need a VPS solution then I would strongly encourage you to take a closer look at VPS.NET. I know this may not be the managed VPS environment that you are use to but you will find that there is excellent support for those who have decided to go that route. The VPS.NET solution offers much more flexibility and scalability then our current VPS. I realize that this option is not for everyone but again, I would encourage you to take another look.

For the majority of our clients the transition to WestHost 4.0, along with cPanel and the many other FREE apps will be a welcome change. We feel that we can find a great solution for each of our clients between WestHost and VPS.NET.

If you have any additional questions regarding your situation feel free to shoot me an email. I appreciate your input, and as I said I respect your position on the situation.

wildjokerdesign
05-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Clint,
Also did not Ditlev (I think) mention that the WH version of CPanel was going to be streamlined so that it was not as complicated? Maybe I am just hearing voices again. :) I have always found CPanel bulky and hard to navigate so this would be welcome.

WestHost - CReeves
05-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Shawn,

I will double check this with our development team but that is also my understanding. If it is not somthing that has been suggested I will make sure to pass this along so that we can make it as clean and easy as possible.

WilliamSiddall
05-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Hi. I'm late to this discussion and will confess that I've not read every word of every post in the thread. I am not clear on whether I would be happiest on WH 4.0 or vps.net. There seem to be a lot of details that are undecided (for example, which accounts will get SSH access in WH 4.0). I very much like the transition concierge idea.

When do you expect all the details to be worked out, so that I can ask concrete questions about my transition requirements, including pricing?

shakmatay
05-21-2009, 06:33 PM

D

Dear Ditlev,

I am glad to hear that a "managed" VPS will be offered to WestHost clients at VPS.net (even at an additional cost). So perhaps there's still hope for many of us after all.

But I do have a follow-up question.... I don't expect the managed offering to include the myriad of applications to be made available in the control panel (as is presently done at WH). After all, we can install apps like Joomla or phpBB on our own.

But I certainly would expect "core" apps such as MySQL, Perl, PHP, and phpMyAdmin to come pre-installed (or one-click ready installation in the control panel) along with VPS.net keeping up with upgrades to these same "core apps."

This is pretty standard with most managed VPS Webhosts, but certainly not all of them, which is why I pose the question.

So that's it. Will such apps be "included" and "maintained" in the "managed offering" at VPS.net?

Thank you,
shakmatay

mdomsch
05-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Catching up on the WH 4.0 vs VPS.net tradeoffs noted in the thread tonight. I too have been using WestHost for several years and appreciate the shared VPS environment, and in particular, SSH access.

For reference, I've maintained a list of add-on applications I have built and run on my VPS, at http://domsch.com/westhost/ . That list includes:

ssh access
mutt
mailman
git (daemon, gitweb, CLI)
rsync (both for uploading content, and running a daemon (forced to run on an alternate port as WH's own backup solution uses rsync on the normal port)).
transmission (bittorrent client)
curl
gnupg
screen (failed since WH 2.0 -> 3.0 migration, but I sure liked it when I had it).
emacs (does this push me into the 5% :-)
lftp
xinetd (for running git and rsync daemons)
WebCalendar (used on ascensionaustin.org, only needs bog-standard PHP I think).

I suspect needing the above will bump me to vps.net, and from the sounds of it, that'll be fine. If all the above were available on WH 4.0, perhaps I'd stay in that environment.

andrek
05-25-2009, 06:40 PM
The main reason I am with WH is because I have ssh access, can install PostgreSQL, Java and run certain Java apps (mainly Confluence and JIRA). Will I be able to do that in WH4.0? If not - what's the cut off date; I'll have to rethink whether I go back to home-hosting or go out shopping as vps.net is way too pricey to do that, at least three times more than I am currently paying for my winter special account. Too bad as WH is the only hosting I know so far that is affordable for individuals to host Confluence.

wildjokerdesign
05-25-2009, 07:08 PM
andrek,

Not sure if you could run those things on WH4.0, but wanted to remind or point out that vps.net is planning on offering a price break for WH clients who need to move to them. If the orginal offer of $20 off a month still stands an you only needed one node at vps.net then you should be able to get the service for $10 a month.

ajparker
06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm a bit late to the discussion. I had seen the announcement of the upcoming 4.0 upgrade and wanted to take some time to try and read through details, but am a bit overwhelmed at the task ahead....

A VPS environment doesn't concern me - I'm a linux user - and have several projects over at slicehost.com which does a similar service to what vps.net is doing, so... that's not an issue. It appears as though I'm going to have to sift through my 12 or so current reseller VPS's and decide which NEED vps.net and which could GET BY with the shared hosting.

One of the things I haven't found (and I've looked but haven't found (yet) a definitive answer. I've skimmed through this thread over a couple of sittings.... Will cron scripts be supported in the new westhost 4.0 shared environment? I see that there is a cron interface via cpanel - but I guess my question is along the lines of how usefull that will be for some of the scripts I have configured for clients.

One for instance is a bash script that uses several typical *nix tools to determine if a remote host is up and rotate a green/red icon on a web status page. curl/lynx are made use of depending on the host we're checking (complicated reason why we can't standardize on one....), we use cat/tac/date as well as mail from the command line if the host is down. From what I'm seeing this would require vps.net

Also, for most of my clients I've customized the blacklists (for mail) beyond what is available in the current control panel. For that reason I've run daily reports of #'s of emails blocked or flagged by blacklist and have been able to do custom whitelist setups.

From what I see I will no longer be able to do that in 4.0 which means pretty much ALL of my vps's need to move to VPS.net and even with the $20/month for life discount it's looking like a significant cost increase to me. (approximately 3x more per year if 12 VPS's at westhost translate into 12 unqiue VPS's at vps.net)

So.... as I'm looking at things I'm thinking I may need to consolidate several current vps's into a single vps at vps.net to keep the cost the same. That doesn't scare me, I've done virtual host setup with multiple ips for apache over at slicehost already. I'm just wondering if this means I'm in for a lot of manual time spent or will the migration "concierge" be able to make life ANY simpler than what it looks like I'll need to be doing. Multiple IP's are a must I have had clients with SPAM (or web indexing issues) that have needed a dedicated IP to solve their problems. It looks as though either upgrade path we'll have IP possibilities and I think I saw someone mention that the current westhost IP blocks would be available.

My work load fluctuates and I would rather not wake up one morning when I have two weeks solid already booked to find out today is the day for migration of one (or more) of my client sites. (Even if the concierge can make the transition simpler...)

Are there any guidelines yet for what volume of traffic usage would be able to migrate into a single node at vps.net? - from what I've seen at slicehost with 3 or so wordpress sites on a single vps you need around 512MB which is the equivalent of 2 nodes. (These have fairly light traffic even. Less than 20 visits a day - but things choked with a single 256MB "slice".) This makes me concerned for some of my higher traffic sites. (And really for the ultimate cost of this migration to try and keep things performance-wise on par...)

I have several current VPS's at westhost that I've crammed as many as 3 domains into with seperate databases for wordpress. That is something that I imagine will absolutely need to be moving to VPS.net

So, where should I start - auditing my current sites, bandwidth usage, custom scripts/etc? I guess the question is how would Westhost advise that we evaluate our existing VPS's to plan for this.

Also, when do you expect VPS.net discount pricing to be finalized and is there any way we could start migration towards vps.net nodes before the official migration to 4.0 shared starts? As I said, I'm not intimidated by vps.net, (a little excited about the prospect as some features that a true VPS environment provides were things I was looking for 3 years ago with westhost.) it's really more an issue of having time to devote to making sure things work well and a concern about my hosting costs increasing.

Pending answers I think I'll be evaluating existing sites to see which can consolidate into shared VPS's as I'm not convinced that I have more than one or two that would be ok on westhost 4.0 (with the loss of uebimiau in westhost 4.0 that may be down to one or alternatively spend a fair amount of time "hand holding" through the migration to another webmail (which is what I had to do when we moved to uebiumiau).

After I audit the sites I'm going to go back and revisit vps.net pricing, but from what I'm seeing now, I suspect the $20/month discount for life still won't have me down at the $470 a year I'm paying now for reseller 2 (at 3 nodes - 768MB Ram I'd be paying $552 yearly even with that discount - without consideration for additional IP addresses (which I would need 10 of to keep pace with current and if I read correctly that's $1/month/ip for another $108 per year). This would need to host 14 wordpress/mysql driven sites (5 or 6 of those are higher traffic), and another 5 static pages which, with one exception are low traffic.

Bandwidth I suspect I would be fine with, but processor/memory capacity I'm not convinced will suffice (and it's already a significant price increase looking at it that way....)

Sorry if all of this is disjointed as I'm still trying to come to terms with what lies ahead.

Avery

ajparker
06-04-2009, 08:22 PM
One other thought/question - If I start migrating some of my easier to move items to vps.net with a node now will I still be able to take advantage of the future discount on vps.net accounts for westhost users?

Avery

wildjokerdesign
06-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Hey everyone! vps.net just dropped their prices! Check it out http://vps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2533#post2533

andrek
06-10-2009, 03:29 PM
andrek,

Not sure if you could run those things on WH4.0, but wanted to remind or point out that vps.net is planning on offering a price break for WH clients who need to move to them. If the orginal offer of $20 off a month still stands an you only needed one node at vps.net then you should be able to get the service for $10 a month.

That's good to know. They've dropped the discount to $10 after the recent price change, which is fair. Although purely from cost perspective WH is still ahead.

How much time do I have before you move everyone and flip the switch? Will there be a beta where I can test first?

tn1
06-25-2009, 01:05 AM
So is the discount offer still valid? I am a current WestHost customer and would like to try VPS.NET.

WestHost - CReeves
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM
tn1,

Ditlev did previously mention a discount for WestHost clients. I'm looking into this to get more information for you. VPS.NET is no longer in beta but if you are interested I'd recommend signing up for a month so you can check it out.

andrek,

We are still months away from making the switch over to WH 4.0 so there is plenty of time to prepare for that. If you are interested in the beta sign up send me a message and I'll get you added.

acavette
07-06-2009, 04:28 PM
We use mySQL ODBC as an integral part of our accounting system.

Will mySQL ODBC still be available under WestHost 4.0?

chrishowie
07-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I would also be interested in the discount for VPS.NET.

I've been using the winter holiday package for about six months now and am concerned about the transition to 4.0. Having almost root-level access has been fantastic -- I'm not sure how else I could have installed the Subversion module for Apache. Soon I'm looking at tinkering with mod_mono too. I have a strong feeling that 4.0 isn't going to allow that.

So VPS.NET is looking pretty good right now, except for the pricing model. Right now I have 100GB storage, 2TB bandwidth, and am paying $10/mo. The cheapest VPS.NET plan is $20/mo and you get 10GB storage and 250GB bandwidth. See a problem?

Now I'm not anywhere near the limits on my account, but if I'm going to have to switch over to continue what I'm doing on my WH account anyway, I'd sure like to get a hell of a lot closer to the caps I have right now. It seems a bit shady to say "we're going to give you these caps and features FOR LIFE ... until we decide to remove some of the features in an 'upgrade.'" It's the principle of the thing that really concerns me.

So, here are some itemized questions:

1. If I want to try VPS.NET right now and evaluate it as a replacement for my current hosting plan with WH, what kind of discount would I get if I don't also cancel my WH account?

2. Additionally, if I do decide to go with VPS.NET, what will happen to the remaining 5-6 months I have paid for at WH? Can that portion of my bill be credited to a VPS.NET account?

3. If I only want one node, what are your plans to deal with customers like me who have significantly higher caps on storage and bandwidth at WH? Will we get at least some increase or will we have to suck it up?

WestHost - CReeves
07-07-2009, 01:53 PM
chrishowie,

You have brought up some good points of consideration. Thank you for your feedback. I hope this helps answer your questions.

1 - All WestHost clients are eligible for the discount at VPS.NET. For details regarding the discount please contact VPS.NET Sales or WestHost Sales for the latest update.

2 Ė WestHost can credit your VPS.NET account for any unused portion of your pre-paid hosting with us (amounts will be prorated).

3 Ė With the current setup on VPS.NET you would need to purchase an additional node if you wanted extra disk space or bandwidth. There may be an option to purchase this separately down the road but for now it would require the additional node. I would encourage you to stay up to speed on the VPS.NET blog (http://vps.net/blog/)for the latest news and information.

willybfriendly
07-09-2009, 10:44 PM
I will add my name to the growing list of people concerned that the current VPS environment may be leaving us.

It is the only reason that I came to WestHost, and the only reason that I have stayed for the past 5 or 6 years.

My web properties are too valuable to go back to a shared hosting environment. Further, the "added features" of WH 4.0 look like a whole lot of fluff. How many CMS's will one client use? And, if they know anything, why can they not install their own CMS - it is not rocket science after all.

This is a major disappointment. You are lowering the WH standard from being a place where professionals can host in a professional environment to one of mediocrity based on the casual consumer.

When/if I am forced to move to shared hosting and/or increase my my costs three or four fold you can be sure I will be moving to alternative hosting options.

bordman
07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Well as a previous westhost client who was moved over to vps.net, i'd have to say that you really have nothing to worry about except the headache of moving your website. The discount the give you makes the plan there completely comparable and you get a real vps. If your afraid of unmanaged solutions install ispmanager that they provide for free as it is an amazing cp and does literally everything for you. I freaking love vps.net.

WestHost - CReeves
07-10-2009, 07:47 AM
bordman,

Thank you for the VPS.NET review. Everything you said is dead on accurate and I think that itís a good example for those that need to keep the VPS but are concerned. I am confident that many others will share your same enthusiasm.

willybfriendly,

I understand your concern here. WestHost did not plan for this to happen although we have been challenged with the task of how we can help our existing clients given the circumstances. Unfortunately, as has been stated previously the technology used by WestHost VPS is at end of life. We are very confident that our shared hosting environment will not only meet the needs of the majority of our clients but will actually provide a better hosting experience. For those that really need the VPS technology I can't emphasize enough how awesome the VPS.NET technology and that platform is. They really are ahead of the curve offering easy to use, flexible, and scalable technology to customize to your needs. I would strongly encourage everyone to check this option out if you need a VPS solution. You won't find a better one.

willybfriendly
07-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Well as a previous westhost client who was moved over to vps.net, i'd have to say that you really have nothing to worry about except the headache of moving your website...

Make that websites - plural - some with extremely large and critical database applications. Two are corporate sites which hardly need a dedicated server, but certainly require more than shared hosting.

To be blunt, these changes will change WestHost from a provider of a unique service to just another hosting provider offering an average product at average prices in a very competitive marketplace.

Good luck! It will be extremely difficult to give recommendations to clients regarding hosting options at this point.

I have begun exploring other options at this point. I expect that change over to be very time consuming, requiring a good deal of planning and precise execution.

Very disappointed/dissatisfied at this end...

bordman
07-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Make that websites - plural - some with extremely large and critical database applications. Two are corporate sites which hardly need a dedicated server, but certainly require more than shared hosting.

Yes I had to move multiple sites as well. It is again, the worst part of changing over to a different server.

To be blunt, these changes will change WestHost from a provider of a unique service to just another hosting provider offering an average product at average prices in a very competitive marketplace.

Yes this is also very true. This is why i moved over to vps.net which is owned by the same parent company. With the discount they give us that need to move it made my plan cheaper (went from 12.95 to 10.00/mo) than using westhost, while giving you a true vps and all the ammenities that vps.net offers. The tech support is great also. Ive never had a ticket that i've created be unresolved or answered in less than 30 min. While its not as cool as the livechat support they have here, it's just as good. Not to mention ditlev is always on the vps boards reading our suggestions and delivering the goods!

Good luck! It will be extremely difficult to give recommendations to clients regarding hosting options at this point.

No it won't be. If you move to vps.net and use ispmanager, you just recommend them to yourself.

I have begun exploring other options at this point. I expect that change over to be very time consuming, requiring a good deal of planning and precise execution.

Well you again should be exploring vps.net. The wonderful thing about moving from westhost to vps.net is that they are owned by the same company. They let me keep my westhost stuff up until I was ready. Which is unheard of.

Very disappointed/dissatisfied at this end...

You really shouldn't be. You'll find the freedom that a full vps gives you and vps.nets ability to scale on demand to be better than the platform that is no longer supported here.

aberg
07-12-2009, 06:55 AM
I read more and more that clients are not happy with the new westhost 4.0 plan.
I get concerns what happen with the speed of my websites with shared hosting.
One of the things I have understand from shared hosting is that one website is hacked the server can go down.
That's is one of the things why VPS is so populaire.
I have now a semi- delicate account and several websites are linking to differents maps on the server.
What will happen with this? will this be still working?
Will the memory from the server will be share over all users or will be a fixed part always reserved for the share users?

Ofcourse I can moved to a new hosting company but I have paid for 2 years.
A other possibility is to go to a delicate server, but on westhost I see still servers with P4 processors where other companies have update there servers. (dual core and more memory for lesser price)
My concerns is that weshost is pussing there existing clients to a VPS account.
If they are not move to a VPS they will get the old servers with a peace of software what will be about a view years out of date.

Are there plans to update the servers in the near future for the existing clienst?
And the delicate servers?
Will they be updated of price reduction for the P4 servers?

If I step over to a delicate server what will be happen wiht the hosting platform?
Is it also updating to a westhost 4.0 platform?

WestHost - CReeves
07-13-2009, 07:38 AM
aberg,

Thank you for your inquiry.

-If one account has been affected on the server in the shared environment it will not necessarily cause the server to go down. This question has been addressed thoroughly many times on these threads and you can be confident that you can look forward to the same uptime that you are currently receiving.

-We will continue to offer the Semi-Dedicated plans. Currently Semi-Ded clients get about 5% of the server resources guaranteed. This will be comparable to the WestHost 4.0 environment for Semi-Deds.

-Our current standard VPS shared clients are not entitled to a set percentage of the CPU/RAM and this will remain the same for shared clients in the WestHost 4.0 environment.

-If you have prepaid for 2 years with WestHost and you are in need of a VPS solution then we recommend that you consider VPS.NET. If you move to VPS.NET we will credit your account for any unused prepaid portion to the VPS.NET account.

-We are always looking to improve upon that which we already offer. We may offer some different dedicated server options in the future so I would encourage you to watch our offers or visit our blog for any updates concerning this.

-Eventually everyone will be migrated over to our new WestHost 4.0 environment. Remember though if you have a dedicated server you are paying for the server so you will have access to utilize all the resources (CPU/RAM) of the server.

If you have additional questions I would encourage you to contact our Technical Support team directly so we can more quickly assist you.

WVOz1970
07-15-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm finally back... real-life kicked in and I've been swamped with my day job.

Trying to catch up on all the latest and greatest. After reading through all the stuff here, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go the vps.net route. Anyone here have any suggestions on how to make the migration happen smoothly? Sounds like a few of you have made the plunge already.

Also, it looks like pricing has changed from when I was reviewing things. Are there still discounts in place for us WH'ers?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get ready to jump. I just don't want to screw up and lose one of my client's sites in the transition process.

andz
08-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Westhost can't be blamed for Parallels discontinuing Sphera.

However, the problem is that WH4 and/or VPS.NET does not seem a viable alternative for the group of people (which I believe is quite large) who use Westhost 3 for its very effective (both cost and feature-wise) characteristic of being a middle-ground between shared and "true" VPS hosting.

I find it highly unlikely that VPS.NET can offer a per VPS pricing that is exactly the same as that of the current Sphera VPSes (especially reseller pricing of just a few dollars per VPS) because a "true" VPS like VPS.NET has much higher resource requirements. WH4.0 on the other hand, is really just your typical cPanel shared hosting and will probably cost the same as that of other providers (may actually be a bit more expensive than the bargain ones too...).

So sadly, it seems like we're ultimately not going to have an option featuring the unique price/feature point that WH3 currently offers.

Since a large number of Westhost's current clients are with them precisely because of this unique positioning that will soon go away, I think they're going to have to think very hard about crafting some kind of offering that will keep such clients (me included, as I am a very happy reseller of WH's plans) with Westhost.

I personally don't think the current VPS.NET pricing will cut it, and WH4, as mentioned above seems to be just your garden-variety cPanel hosting (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that there's no big reason to stick with WH for this).

aberg
08-28-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't see the answer on my question of my website wil work on the new plan.
I mean this:
I have now a semi- delicate account and several websites.
I have make maps on the server for sepearate websites.
As example
The first website (domainname) is linking as example to /var/www/html/map1
The second website (domainname) is linking to /var/www/html/map2
Will this still work with the new westhost 4.0 plan?

WestHost - CReeves
08-28-2009, 04:09 PM
andz,

VPS.NET is continually evolving to meet the needs of new clients. I would recommend checking out this blog post: http://vps.net/blog/reselling-the-vps-cloud/

While it may not meet the exact pricing of the current WH setup it does allow more flexibility and scalability. I would encourage you to continue to watch for new updates that may help you through the upcoming changes if the WH 4.0 platform will not meet your needs.

aberg,

When you say you have a semi-delicate account I assume you are referring to our semi-dedicated accounts currently being offered. We will continue to offer a semi-dedicated plan in the WH 4.0 environment. Iíll forward your specific question on to our development team to get a better answer on make maps.

WestHost - JFillmore
08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't see the answer on my question of my website wil work on the new plan.
I mean this:
I have now a semi- delicate account and several websites.
I have make maps on the server for sepearate websites.
As example
The first website (domainname) is linking as example to /var/www/html/map1
The second website (domainname) is linking to /var/www/html/map2
Will this still work with the new westhost 4.0 plan?

aberg,

Yes, you will still be able to host multiple Web sites in a single account, each pulling their content from a different location (or even the same location if you wish).

aberg
09-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for this answer!
This was very important for me.
Now I wait and see what will happen with the new webhost platforms.

davemon
11-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I think I've done my homework and read all the information available from Westhost on this switchover. I know that WH has received a lot of criticism regarding this, but in my opinion WH has been very forthright about the whole thing and should be commended for that. WH has always been a cut above the rest with regard to Customer Satisfaction and this seems no different to me.

I have a couple questions to add to this long thread:

In 3.0 a custom addition was needed to httpd.conf in order to get WebDAV to work correctly, and even after making that change myself I cannot get Outlook 2007 to use the Calendar sharing feature, I get a returned error from the server. I probably did something wrong, but regardless - the question is: Will WebDAV be a standard feature of WH4.0?

I have read some previous statements on these threads about projecting server up/down time (i.e. reliability) after the switchover. My own personal domains I'm not worried about with shared WH hosting, but I do manage an account for a professional society. They pay the bills, and I give them monthly reports on their web service. This question is directed to any Administrator or capable Moderator: Please give a statement I can take back to those I report to, specifically addressing anticipated reliability after the switchover. I'd like to put them at ease.

I can't even pronounce Uebimiau much less spell it without copying (like I just did), so I renamed it on the server to Umail for the simple minded. Please confirm that "Umail" is being deleted as an option in WH4.0, and if so, can you point me the in the right direction for a good POP3 server that I can use. While you're at it, if you'd recommend something more powerful please do so, since Umail is kind of lousy anyway in my opinion. I just don't want to be caught at the last minute trying to switch all my archived items over without a plan in place.
Thanks!

wildjokerdesign
11-02-2009, 04:10 AM
Just because Uebimiau is no longer going to be an install option as a PHP program does not mean that a current install of Uebimiau is not going to work. In fact since it is a PHP program you would still be able to install it manually and use it if you wanted to. :) Even if you did switch to a different webmail application it would not mean you would have to move archive and such. The only thing Uebimiau is doing is reading the email "files" that are on your server. These files are actually controlled by sendmail and procmail which is still something that well be used on WH 4.0.

Hopefully that at least answers your third question. I'll let the WestHost employees handle the others. :)

davemon
11-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you for the input Shawn. I will probably change email systems, but I thought it would be more difficult so that's good news.

Admin, any response to the other questions?

cmichaelis
11-04-2009, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=davemon;46239]I think I've done my homework and read all the information available from Westhost on this switchover. I know that WH has received a lot of criticism regarding this, but in my opinion WH has been very forthright about the whole thing and should be commended for that. WH has always been a cut above the rest with regard to Customer Satisfaction and this seems no different to me.

I have a couple questions to add to this long thread:

Hi Davemon,

Here are a few quick answers --

[list=1] In 3.0 a custom addition was needed to httpd.conf in order to get WebDAV to work correctly, and even after making that change myself I cannot get Outlook 2007 to use the Calendar sharing feature, I get a returned error from the server. I probably did something wrong, but regardless - the question is: Will WebDAV be a standard feature of WH4.0?

--- Yes, WebDAV is a standard feature of WH4.0. It's actually referred to as "Web Drive" under the control panel interface, since it can also be attached to a local Windows box as a "web location" - but it is present and available for other uses (e.g. calendars) as well.

I have read some previous statements on these threads about projecting server up/down time (i.e. reliability) after the switchover. My own personal domains I'm not worried about with shared WH hosting, but I do manage an account for a professional society. They pay the bills, and I give them monthly reports on their web service. This question is directed to any Administrator or capable Moderator: Please give a statement I can take back to those I report to, specifically addressing anticipated reliability after the switchover. I'd like to put them at ease.

--- We have some excellent server monitoring tools in place in 4.0 which are even better than the 3.0 environment's monitoring, so our reliability in 4.0 should at least match what we see in 3.0 (which is already extremely good). I can't quote any historical figures for 4.0 yet since there isn't much history to draw on - but you can tell your superiors that maintaining rock-solid uptime is one of our key goals in 4.0 as it was in 3.0.

I can't even pronounce Uebimiau much less spell it without copying (like I just did), so I renamed it on the server to Umail for the simple minded. Please confirm that "Umail" is being deleted as an option in WH4.0, and if so, can you point me the in the right direction for a good POP3 server that I can use. While you're at it, if you'd recommend something more powerful please do so, since Umail is kind of lousy anyway in my opinion. I just don't want to be caught at the last minute trying to switch all my archived items over without a plan in place.

--- It's pronounced "way bee meow". :) It is getting a bit dated as a webmail client, to be sure. It is still available in 4.0, since there are many people who do prefer it despite its relative antiquity. We will be offering a variety of webmail applications in 4.0 that you can choose from, and of course any third party PHP or Perl-based webmail application would run just fine in your account.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
--Chris

davemon
11-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Chris thank you so much for those thorough replies, much appreciated. :)

I had asked another question in another thread a while ago that no one ever responded to. I am wondering with the upgrade to WH4.0 if anyone can now answer that question? Here's the thread:

http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=12250

cmichaelis
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi Davemon,

I just answered this question over at the original thread - http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?p=46259#post46259

Thanks!
--Chris

Chris thank you so much for those thorough replies, much appreciated. :)

I had asked another question in another thread a while ago that no one ever responded to. I am wondering with the upgrade to WH4.0 if anyone can now answer that question? Here's the thread:

http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=12250

davemon
11-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks! :)

benjo4u
12-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Concerns I have:
http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=13529

These are all major hits to my current level of service. It's now December and I just found this out (not about 4.0, about the change in service). Will there be a place for me at WH? I've built my own ruby and rails and git and subversion and ffmpeg and lots of other software. What will happen to my hosting? I was told my price on registratoin was guaranteed... I wasn't told my service wasn't. The worst parts:
1) I don't know what's going to happen to my service
2) I just recommended a friend to sign up because I told him about how I can use tomcat, and he's on 4.0 and can't. I feel really bad for wasting his time and money.

What is jailcell?

Q: Is my custom software going to work on your new platform? A: Generally speaking if it is a Perl or PHP application (or something of that nature) then yes it should work just fine. If it is custom software that must be *installed* on the server like Subversion or a special mail filtering software then the answer is no.

Q. What about C/C++ programs which might need compiling such as ht://Dig? Will gcc/g++ still be available? A. No, it will not. If you need to be able to do more advanced things such as compiling programs you will need to upgrade to a VPS.

Q. Does WestHost 4.0 have support for ssh?
A. Yes it does in a jailshell environment.

WestHost - CReeves
12-08-2009, 10:21 AM
benjo4u,

We understand your concerns. Unfortunately the VPS technology used by WestHost (WH 3.0) is at end of life. There are some differences between the two platforms. Here is a good reference: http://www.westhost.com/30to40comparison.html

You will notice that Ruby is not supported in the WestHost 4.0 environment. We are still working out the logistics for current clients on the WestHost 3.0 platform and how the migration will take place. We have encouraged clients who are in your situation to consider our sister company VPS.NET if WH 4.0 doesnít meet your needs.

Iím sorry to hear about your friend. Iím certain that if WH 4.0 isnít going to meet his needs that he can get a full refund if he just signed up. Iíll have another member of our team follow up on your other question regarding the ďjailshellĒ.

Please feel free to contact us directly if you have additional questions or concerns so we can better address them in a more timely manor.

A999
02-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey all

just wanted to share with you my personal experience with VPS .net

1. I sent a form to VPS.net through their site asking for a quote to match our existing WH plan.
I asked some specific questions to learn if we can make the move and I also asked for the price.

It took almost 36 hours to get the following reply and I quote :
"For your requirements, you'll looking at at least 3 nodes with cPanel, so minimum $50/mo. Before I answer your other questions I wanted to make sure that was understood."

That's all ! That's the reply I got.

2. I than replied as follows:
"Yes, I understand your reply.
3 nodes (30/750MB) are less than what we have now on West Host (100/2000GB) and I hope the resources (cpu/ram) are suitable to run our applications such as Magento.
I'll be waiting to get your detailed reply to our questions as sent in our 1st contact form.
As for the price, I do expect VPS.net will stand Mr. Ditlev promise to West Host customers.

and I got the following 1 line reply:
"You can get one node for $10/mo - but it won't be enough to power Magento."

3. I didn't give up and sent the following:
"Are 3 nodes enough to run Magento fast ?
What about Mr. Ditlev promise to WH customers and I quote:
"YES! we will honor all deals made pre-4.0. We will give you the same or better deal as you had before, and you will be getting all these new features on top for free"And can you please relate and reply to all issues I have asked in my contact form"

After 3 days I got the following reply:
"Re-read the context of his post. I feel it's essential that we get past the issue that the only discount you will receive is $10/off your monthly price. I don't want you thinking otherwise as we go along.
He was saying that we will honor all deals/features *within westhost* pre-4.0 to 4.0, VPS.NET our discount for WestHost clients is $10 off."

This email BTW was not even signed, they even save typing the name of the sales person.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, this is the real VPS.net that you don't want to have as your partner !
this is the 'great fast service' that they give :mad:
this is the 'great promise' Mr. Ditlev posted here more than once and that so many of you believed it will be backed-up by him :mad:

With this service, with this impolite replies that lets you feel you are not wanted and in pre sale stage, I can only imagine what will be after the sale.
I'm sorry, I'm used to fast and very polite and professional replies I always got from WH.

Thank you VPS.net - not for me :mad:
I'm going to stay @WH as long as possible and already started to look for another supplier.

I suggest WH to be more careful when they recommend to us to move to VPS.net you should at least check that the information you provide is true.

Avi

WestHost - BChambers
02-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Hey all

just wanted to share with you my personal experience with VPS .net

1. I sent a form to VPS.net through their site asking for a quote to match our existing WH plan.
I asked some specific questions to learn if we can make the move and I also asked for the price.

It took almost 36 hours to get the following reply and I quote :
"For your requirements, you'll looking at at least 3 nodes with cPanel, so minimum $50/mo. Before I answer your other questions I wanted to make sure that was understood."

That's all ! That's the reply I got.

2. I than replied as follows:
"Yes, I understand your reply.
3 nodes (30/750MB) are less than what we have now on West Host (100/2000GB) and I hope the resources (cpu/ram) are suitable to run our applications such as Magento.
I'll be waiting to get your detailed reply to our questions as sent in our 1st contact form.
As for the price, I do expect VPS.net will stand Mr. Ditlev promise to West Host customers.

and I got the following 1 line reply:
"You can get one node for $10/mo - but it won't be enough to power Magento."

3. I didn't give up and sent the following:
"Are 3 nodes enough to run Magento fast ?
What about Mr. Ditlev promise to WH customers and I quote:
"YES! we will honor all deals made pre-4.0. We will give you the same or better deal as you had before, and you will be getting all these new features on top for free"And can you please relate and reply to all issues I have asked in my contact form"

After 3 days I got the following reply:
"Re-read the context of his post. I feel it's essential that we get past the issue that the only discount you will receive is $10/off your monthly price. I don't want you thinking otherwise as we go along.
He was saying that we will honor all deals/features *within westhost* pre-4.0 to 4.0, VPS.NET our discount for WestHost clients is $10 off."

This email BTW was not even signed, they even save typing the name of the sales person.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, this is the real VPS.net that you don't want to have as your partner !
this is the 'great fast service' that they give :mad:
this is the 'great promise' Mr. Ditlev posted here more than once and that so many of you believed it will be backed-up by him :mad:

With this service, with this impolite replies that lets you feel you are not wanted and in pre sale stage, I can only imagine what will be after the sale.
I'm sorry, I'm used to fast and very polite and professional replies I always got from WH.

Thank you VPS.net - not for me :mad:
I'm going to stay @WH as long as possible and already started to look for another supplier.

I suggest WH to be more careful when they recommend to us to move to VPS.net you should at least check that the information you provide is true.

Avi

Hello Avi,

Without having a chance yet to review any chat transcripts from whoever you chatted with, I must say that based on your quotes above that we can certainly do a MUCH better job communicating with our clients. VPS.NET has been around for 1 year now. While the brand is being managed by individuals within UK2Group (that includes people here at WestHost), it has been growing rapidly and we have been adding some additional resources to this team to help provide quicker and better support. The problem you've experienced will get attention, and I can promise you that it will improve.

In terms of the VPS.NET platform, the technology behind this is honestly a step up from what WestHost clients have been used to. The cloud environment is very exciting, and VPS.NET is quickly becomming a leader in this area for hosting. There are some additional costs associated with us running clients in a cloud, but at the same time, there are some added benefits to our clients. For more details, you can find out quite a bit from the Web site, www.vps.net.

With clients on our 3.0 environment, we have focused our attention more on helping them move to our 4.0 environment. It's an upgrade obviously from 3.0, and meets the needs of most of our WH clients. For those who want a little more, but maybe don't quite need a dedicated server, then VPS.NET is a great option.

Also, so you are aware, I've talked with Ditlev this morning about this particular post to clarify any statements he has made. We have not ever said or posted that we would match the price clients are currently paying on WestHost over to VPS.NET. We've tried to make it clear that there is a $10 off voucher for the first node. I'm very sorry there were some communication errors.

Hope this helps. I just want you to know that we appreciate the feedback, and will work to improve the service you receive on VPS.NET. Again, many of the people you have worked with over the years from WestHost are also now helping to build this new VPS.NET brand. We are VERY excited about this technology, and hope to build something great like we have with WestHost.

efootprint
02-27-2010, 07:31 AM
FYI:

Westhost does NOT maintain DNS staff 24/7.

If your site is up and on 3.0 and your DNS is on Westhost, you Must stay out of service until someone comes to work 9am MST and they get around to you. Also be sure to complete a ticket using the 4.0 system (the 3.0 system does not work).

After six days of being out of service this is "When you expect more from your Web host "

WestHost - BChambers
02-27-2010, 07:44 AM
FYI:

Westhost does NOT maintain DNS staff 24/7.

If your site is up and on 3.0 and your DNS is on Westhost, you Must stay out of service until someone comes to work 9am MST and they get around to you. Also be sure to complete a ticket using the 4.0 system (the 3.0 system does not work).

After six days of being out of service this is "When you expect more from your Web host "

efootprint,

I already responded to the same post you made in another thread. While I'm sure you are frustrated, and want to share your frustration with everyone you can, you can call or chat anytime of any day of the entire year, and you'll find people working/mai.ntaining our systems. You can call them right now, or chat, and they can get you squared away

wildjokerdesign
02-27-2010, 07:45 AM
A999,

The offer to WestHost clients if they want to move to vps.net has always been $10.00 off. Where did you read or understand that it would be more?

Support at vps.net is very different then WestHost most definitely. They are as devoted to their clients I believe but it is a very different approach to things. Since their service is unmanage and you have root access, they deal with a different set of people then WestHost does. They tend to be very direct and to the point. Actually that is something some complained that WestHost was not. :) I actually got put off by them when their billing system kept triggering alerts in my cc card account and freezing it. When I contacted them they where very direct in say "Sorry that is how are system works. You can try our PayPal option of you want.". I have been spoiled by WestHost where they most likely would have replied with a message of seeing if they could look into the process and see if their was something that could be done. :) WestHost can be very individual focused in my experience, vps.net is a big picture company.

While it has some great abilities, I am not sure that the service is for the average web owner. You really need to know what you are doing over there. They have a pretty strong user base in their forum that can be very helpful but they expect you to have the basics down already. If something breaks on your account over there you are going to have to fix it yourself unless you have one of their service plans.

I think that vps.net is a good strong company and product that is well worth the monthly rates. Much like here at WestHost you get quite a bit for your dollar. You can't compare the services though they are apples and oranges. I most likely well go back over and use their service for some things but at this point having my main websites over there is more work then I want to invest. I'll continue to suggest the company to folks here depending on what they are looking for, but you do remind me that I perhaps need to prep them better for the differences. :)

efootprint
02-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Called waited an hour, NO Answer.

A999
02-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey Brian and Shawn and thank for your reply

I believe every client should at least receive a respectable and answers to his concerns.
I'm sorry but the replies I got, how to say it gently.... I didn't like how it sounds, not to mention that I didn't get answers to my questions nor it was replied in a timely manner.

Brian, you are welcome to retrieve the full correspondence and see for yourself if this is the way a client should be treated, no matter its current plan.

As for the price, yes this is a very important issue for small businesses.
Please look back in this thread , post #76 that Mr. Ditlev says in it :
" YES! we will honor all deals made pre-4.0. We will give you the same or better deal as you had before, and you will be getting all these new features on top for free."

and just to remind you , it was a reply to kdr22 who wrote:
"For instance, I have the Winter Holiday Special package that includes a dedicated IP, unlimited domains, 1,000 email accts, 50,000 MB disk storage, 1024000 MB bandwidth - all for $10 a month (paid annually) for life. Will this still be honored after the migration or not? "

So please explain to me the meaning of "same or better" for this example in reference to plan and cost.

I'm sorry, did I missed something ?
how do I suppose to understand this other than keeping the same plan or even get a better one at same cost ?

Avi

wildjokerdesign
02-27-2010, 09:58 AM
The confusion is because of the introduction of vps.net into this thread I think. The original discussion was about WH 4.0 and migration from 3.0 accounts. In that case WestHost does plan to honor any existing plans if you want to migrate. That does not include moving to the sister company of vps.net.

efootprint
02-27-2010, 10:25 AM
efootprint,

I already responded to the same post you made in another thread. While I'm sure you are frustrated, and want to share your frustration with everyone you can, you can call or chat anytime of any day of the entire year, and you'll find people working/mai.ntaining our systems. You can call them right now, or chat, and they can get you squared away

Did that. Ticket created (again). Still out of service.

It is after 9am MST still no response.

A999
02-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Oh, I see.....
Thanks Shawn for making that clear.

So , as I understand, moving kdr22 plan to VPS.net will cost "only" $70/m with the WH discount for 5 nodes 50disk/1250bw (7 times more than what he pays now)
or $58/m for 4 nodes 40disk/1000bw (5.8 times more) if this will be enough for him from disk/bw only point of view..
All this of course without knowing for real what resources are needed for him.
So although this is a VPS with all the freedom one gets, it is still 6-7 times more expansive (includes the generous special WH discount)

This bring me to other questions I was trying to get answer for (but was ignored) .
1. Forget for a moment the disk/bw quota, how do I know what resources are best for me ?
Is it only by trial and error only ? who guarantee that a test done in a certain moment will be with same results at another time?
How do you measure cpu/ram to your applications ? is there a tool for it that you can run on current WH3 to find the actual used resources over a certain period?

2. As I understand WH4 will not be VPS/VPS like.
We moved to WH years ago because we suffered from being blocked due to other sites sharing same server were blocked by spam lists.
WH VPS solved this issue and now if I understand , we are back to shared environment that might create same spam block issue, am I correct?

wildjokerdesign
02-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Last I heard was that if you wanted to use cPanel or another back end management tool like it on your account along with something like Wordpress, Joomla, phpBB or some of the other standard PHP CMS's that you really need 2 to 3 nodes resource wise. When I was there last they actually started offering the ability to add disk space and bandwidth without adding an actual node. You might see some comments here that one node at vps.net is more powerfull then you have here at WestHost. That is kind of true but you would have to really optimize the node to it's fullest. I think now they actually have some images that are already optimized like this. That also does not take into consideration a running of cPanel or something similiar. Here at WestHost Site Manager is not really part of your account although it runs on the same server as your account. Backend programs like that can be a bit resource intensive and you really need to expect at least one nodes resources are needed to run them.

I've never been able to figure out any real tools to use to check a WestHost 3.0 account in order to determine what would be needed on vps.net.

A999
02-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Thanks Shawn

That is too bad.
If we had any such tool, it would have solved most of our dilemmas and made the migration process more professional. I feel now walking in the dark searching for answers no one can supply... and as always it is the client's responsibility to make the right decisions.:confused:

Did you see my other question ?
As I understand WH4 will not be VPS/VPS like.
We moved to WH years ago because we suffered from being blocked due to other sites (sharing same server) were blocked by spam lists.
WH VPS solved this issue and now if I understand , we are back to shared environment.
Are we going to expect such spam block situations ?
Does WH4 has any protection/solution for this shared spam block problem ?

Avi

LWC
02-28-2010, 05:16 AM
Aren't you mistaking VPS for a dedicated IP?

How can anyone outside know if you're VPS or not? I think VPS is something between you and your host that may only mainfest itself in the site's speed.

What the world sees is whether you use a dedicated IP (which 4.0 still offers although less for free than it was in 3.0) or not. And even then, I was led to believe it doesn't matter for anything other than e-mail or the ability to support domains' A records (i.e. incoming IP forwarding).

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

A999
02-28-2010, 05:48 AM
LWC
as far as I know a dedicated IP will not prevent it because the mail from each server is sent through the shared mail server IP address, not the individual account IP address, (please correct me if I'm wrong) so having a dedicated IP will not protect me from another shared account that was spam blocked.
This is why I asked my question to learn if WH4 has any solution to this situation.
On WH3 which is kind of VPS we never had this problem while b4 we joined WH on another supplier shared plan we had it few times and this takes days to un-block.

wildjokerdesign
02-28-2010, 07:15 AM
A999,

LWC Is correct that it is the dedicated IP that is important here. Even if you don't have a dedicated IP, WestHost been pretty aggressive in maintaining and protecting the reputation of the shared IP's.