PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Server installation!

tabouda
02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had a chance to install Darwin server with a non ROOtT account. My accoutn doen't come with Darwin in site manager and I am trying to install it manually.
I am getting the error below when I try to run the install via SSH:
./Install

Installing Darwin Streaming Server

Unable to perform install
You must be logged in as root to install Darwin Streaming Server

ANy help will be greatly appreciated.

wildjokerdesign
02-16-2009, 10:34 AM
You'll need to upgrade your account to one that includes the Darwin Server with it. While the requirement for Root user can be overridden in the Install script the Server still will not install correctly. This is one case when you just have to bite the bullet and have WestHost do it. Sorry. :(

Jonnyb0y
02-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I hate to contradict the man with 4,000 posts, but it actually is possible to do without any special access. You just need to edit the install script to remove/disable the check that sees is if your uid is 0, comment out all lines that "chown" files, and change all instances of the user/group "qtss" to your VPS user/group in the various configuration files. Once that is done you'll still need to make the standard changes to the main configuration file (e.g. IP address to bind as) to get everything working right.

Unless you are an experienced Linux user, due to the work involved to install, configure, and maintain Darwin Streaming Server your best bet is to upgrade to a plan that includes it.

wildjokerdesign
02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
No please do contradict me... I don't mind at all. :) You are correct that by altering the install script and being an experienced Linux user you can get this installed but I was to lazy at the time to explain that. I thought if I even cracked the barrel that they would then want a list of what to modify and I did not have the time to do the research. ;)