PDA

View Full Version : IP Filtering / Banning

REC-WH
02-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I recently Filtered / Banned about 20 IP's addresses because of attempts to hack my site. Now I have tried to removed some of them but I can't. Some I have been able to delete from the IP Filtered list. I restarted the site, but that never helped. All of this was done using the WH Control Panel.

Does anyone know where IP Filtered/Banned/Deny addresses are stored in Apache. I have downloaded the httpd.conf file and the Banned IP addresses are not in that file. I assume it must be stored in one of the modules? If so, where is the location?

Thanks,

Charlie

wildjokerdesign
02-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Charlie,
I am not sure where the IP's are stored for sure but this is something that you should contact WH about so they can get it fixed. You shouldn't have to edit the files manually. :)

john_collins
08-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I've had the same issue. After an IP is entered in the list, I cannot edit or delete it.

I have another large group to include and would rather add them directly into a text file type list (if that's how they are stored) than through the control panel.

I've entered about 100, maybe more, IPs in an effort to block spam. Works real well against those that send from the same server.

John

REC-WH
09-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Charlie,
I am not sure where the IP's are stored for sure but this is something that you should contact WH about so they can get it fixed. You shouldn't have to edit the files manually. :)

I guess WH has NOT fix the problem of deleting IPs from the filter list. I add an IP and tried to delete it and can't.

The last time I had to deleting all the IPs and than re-enter them again just to delete one IP. The IPs lists are store in etc/hp/ipf folder. I tried to delete the IP from the files but you can't change the file permission and overwrite the file. That maybe because Apache is running? I don't if there is a way to stop the server and manual changing the files.

I have about 30 blocks of IP banned and it has greatly reduced spam and the number of attempt to hack the site. So the IP filter is important!

WH how about fixing the Control Panel? Any ideas?

Charlie

wildjokerdesign
09-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Charlie,
What did WH say about this when you submitted the Help Ticket? I just ran a quick test on my account and had no problem adding and deleting IP's. I did not have alot of them entered so perhaps it has to do with the amount you have entered. If you can find the original ticket you submitted you can reactivate it. That may let them know the time line of things.