PDA

View Full Version : testing 2nd domain before DNS is propagated

planetranch
01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi,

I am helping a friend set up his new account and the following question has come up.

How can you test a second domain if DNS has not propagated yet? So the situation is, the domain2 is being hosted at another host currently. He wants to get it all set up and ready in his new WestHost account so that when he submits his request to switch the DNS records to the new host the site will be ready and waiting. While domain1 gets a temporary url to test with, domain2 does not get that. So how can you access it from a web browser and see that it is working?

If it matters, the folder structure for domain2 is /var/www/domain2.

Thanks!
M@

scain
01-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Dear planetranch,

Your account most likely has a temporary domain something to the effect of domain.com.whsites.net. The easiest way to test a secondary domain is to create a subdomain that points to /var/www/domain2 Then you can simply use subdomain.domain.com.whsites.net to fully test the site before going live. I hope this helps.

wildjokerdesign
01-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Don't forget though that if you have any dynamic pages i.e. PHP programs that they may be a bit "off". In other words navigation of things could not work if domain is hard coded in. You would need to use subdomain.domain.com.whsites.net as the hard coded domain.

planetranch
01-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Excellent, thanks!