PDA

View Full Version : FormMail - Can recipient be encrypted?

deerfoot
12-11-2008, 07:16 AM
With FormMail the recipient has to go to an address at mydomain.com.

<input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="email@mydomain.com">

This is the only place on the site where my email is not encrypted to avoid being harvested and I'm receiving spam from it.

I've tried a javascript encryption and then one from EmailRiddler.com in a ServerSideInclude. Neither works. Any ideas?

Thanks,

wildjokerdesign
12-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Ditch FormMail. :) I just can't understand why WestHost keeps it around. You can hack the program to use a type of Alias set up but it is a pain in the but to do.

The TFmail located here is one alternative: http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml Or if you want to switch to PHP you can try this one: http://www.dtheatre.com/scripts/formmail.php In the PHP version the very first variable in the script ($recipient) can be set to your email address so you don't have to set it in the form.

deerfoot
12-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Thank you once again for your speedy good advice. More questions.

Do I need to uninstall FormMail before I install one of these others?
Does nmsFormMail include Captcha or is that not needed with this one?
Why would one want a PHP version instead of the nmsFormMail?

wildjokerdesign
12-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Do I need to uninstall FormMail before I install one of these others?
No you can install any of them along side the WestHost version of FormMail if you want. If you end up useing one of these alternatives then you should remove the ones you are not using including the WestHost version.

Does nmsFormMail include Captcha or is that not needed with this one?

Not it does not and don't forget I suggested the TFMail version and not the normal FormMail they offer. :) Captcha is not a bad idea really and actually I incorporated the WestHost Captcha script into TFMail at one time.

Why would one want a PHP version instead of the nmsFormMail?
Because PHP is a lot easier programing language to deal with then Perl. It would not be too hard to find a simply Captcha php program and integrate it into use the the PHP version.

deerfoot
12-13-2008, 03:07 PM
No it does not and don't forget I suggested the TFMail version and not the normal FormMail they offer. :) Captcha is not a bad idea really and actually I incorporated the WestHost Captcha script into TFMail at one time.

Ah. I didn't scroll down far enough to see the TFmail. I've tried that one and am having trouble getting it working. I changed the places in the TFmail.pl as instructed in the ReadMe and copied the following to: /var/www/cgi-bin/
GBview.pl
TFmail.pl
tfmail (directory with all the rest of the files)

Then started the form with
<form method="post" action="http://mydomain.com/cgi-bin/TFmail.pl" name="form test">
<input type="hidden" name="_config" value="default.trc" />

When I click Submit, I get the message "Internal Server Error. The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

Because PHP is a lot easier programing language to deal with then Perl. It would not be too hard to find a simply Captcha php program and integrate it into use the the PHP version.

I also downloaded the php version and that's working fine. (It just bugs me to not be able to get the TFmail working also.)

Thanks,

wildjokerdesign
12-14-2008, 07:05 AM
What program did you edit the TFmail files with and what mode did you upload them in. You should always use a plain text editor to edit files like those listed in my sig and you should upload in ASCII mode. Once uploaded you have to change permissions on the files to 755.

BTW: The installer for TFmail that is listed right below the main program does work on a WestHost account.

deerfoot
12-14-2008, 11:06 AM
The files were edited in Text Edit [I use a Mac OSX 10.4] in text mode and uploaded with Fetch 5.3 in Automatic mode. The permissions had not been set before, so I just changed those to 755 -- and it still doesn't work.

How do you use/activate the TFmail installer? The README says: "Once you have uploaded the tfmail_install.pl CGI script, simply point your web browser at it and it will walk you through the process of installing TFmail." Since TFmail is in the /var/www/cgi-bin directory, my browser won't let me go there.

Thanks,

wildjokerdesign
12-14-2008, 02:09 PM
How do you use/activate the TFmail installer? The README says: "Once you have uploaded the tfmail_install.pl CGI script, simply point your web browser at it and it will walk you through the process of installing TFmail." Since TFmail is in the /var/www/cgi-bin directory, my browser won't let me go there.

There is an alias set up in .httpd.conf that leads from /var/www/html/cgi-bin to /var/www/cgi-bin. This is standard with a WestHost account. :) Simply point you browser to http://yourdomain.tld/cgi-bin/tfmail_install.pl and the install script well run. Don't forget it needs to be chmod to 755 also.