PDA

View Full Version : Installing Sympa

jdegenova
11-26-2008, 04:54 AM
I have an organization what would like to run a private mailing list, about 80 members. Currently we are using an alias, but since each message comes from a different sender the members can't add a single 'from' address to their spam filter "white list". Has anyone successfully installed Sympa on a Westhost VPS and if so did you happen to save your notes of anything special or unusual you had to do? I just want to draw on your experience and hear your opinions before I make an attempt and spend a whole weekend on this. Thanks!

Corrado Fiore
11-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi,

I know it can be done. I had a colleague who was able to do so with success. As far as I can remember, he had to specify a custom location for install since some files of our standard Perl installation could not be modified.

However, before compiling Sympa, I would give a try to Dada Mail. It's a one-click-install valueApp and is already available in your VPS control panel. Might do the job quite fine, once you install and configure its Dada Bridge plugin.

My two cents :)

Cheers,
Corrado

jdegenova
12-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Corrado. I tried Dada with the Bridge Plug-in. It's pretty nice. The only thing I couldn't find is how to setup the "from" address to be the list's email address so members of the group could add a single "from" address to their spam filter's white list. As it is, each email appears to come from the sender's address with the list address as the "reply-to" address. This is one of the main reasons I wanted to move from a distribution alias to a real mailing list. Does anyone by chance know how to remedy this?