PDA

View Full Version : FTP Connections Hiccup Frequently

coppercup
11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
We have been working with WestHost accounts for many years now, and this has always been an issue, but it's not so big an issue that I've worried too much about it. But I'm curious if this issue affects anyone else.

We are constantly developing and uploading new files to various WH accounts via Dreamweaver CS3, and quite frequently the connections and uploads fail on the first attempt, but are successful on the second or third attempt a few seconds later.

We experience the same issues when using Interarchy for FTP, and it does it on all WH accounts. We don't seem to have these issues with FTP to other services outside WH.

Anybody else have these FTP connection issues?

Thanks!
Fritz

Corrado Fiore
11-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi Coppercup,

I've experienced similar issues with more or less any providers, and since a couple of days also with Westhost. As far as I can tell, it's more a matter of network connections rather than FTP server or VPS software.

FTP connections are prone to interruptions even when servers are kept in-house (i.e. you have a direct connection to the server farm -- some big offices have such a set up).

A solution _might_ be to use SFTP instead of plain FTP. Seems like SFTP protocol is more reliable.

My two cents. :-)

Cheers,
Corrado Fiore

wildjokerdesign
11-13-2008, 07:17 AM
A solution _might_ be to use SFTP instead of plain FTP. Seems like SFTP protocol is more reliable.

I would have to second that recommendation. I use SFTP and see very few interruptions to my connection.

Armadillo
11-23-2008, 12:32 AM
How do you get SFTP to work?
I'm using WSFTP Pro version 8, and I get a "Failed SSH Key Exchange" error.
It's set to use the default WSFTP certs.

wildjokerdesign
11-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Did the program ever prompt you to accept the certificate from the server?
I am not familiar with the program itself but you might want to try what is suggested on this page: http://support.ipswitch.com/kb/WS-20021004-DM01.htm

Armadillo
11-23-2008, 09:09 PM
I just got it to connect.
I noticed Ipswitch still had a update for my old version. So I downloaded it, re-setup my sites, and tried it.
Now SFTP does fine. I still dont know what the issue was.
Thanks anyway.