PDA

View Full Version : DNS record mgmt for added domains

Klausbert
09-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Hello,
After I add another domain via Site Manager and update its Name Servers to those of WestHost, how do I manage to add DNS records to the second domain?
Site Manager only allows that for primary domain.

(for example, in order to use Google Apps / GMail with my domain I need to add MX records pointing to Google; also CNAME records)

Thanks,
Klaus

wildjokerdesign
09-02-2008, 06:06 AM
You can set up extra MX and CNAME records via the Site Manager: http://helpdocs.westserver.net/v3/sitemanager/index.htm#DNS_Records.htm

Klausbert
09-02-2008, 07:29 AM
True... but only for the main domain.
And for subdomains of the same main domain.

I meant for other domains added via Site Manager (Big 10 plan)

Zabby
09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Interestingly, I just encountered this same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

wildjokerdesign
09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I think there is a way and that it has been posted about in the past but not sure where the post are. If I can find them I'll direct you to them. It could be that it took WH intervention to accomplish.

wildjokerdesign
09-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I found the post I was thinking of but the user never replied back whether they got it sorted out or not. According to rolling aka Richard, a WH client, it would be something that needs to be done by West Host as it involves changing the zone file. http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=10342

Hopefully you'll let us know the answer if you get it sorted out. :)

Klausbert
09-02-2008, 03:27 PM
For the time being, I am testing with two added domains:
one of them has its DNS in WH, the other one in MyDomain where I created an A record to my WH IP, and MX records pointing to GApps.

Meanwhile I also have to sort out the [lack of] PHP execution for these two, so I reopened an old post in the forum. When I get a working solution for the two alternatives I'll come back to this one for conclusions.

Be seeing you

-- UPDATE
Ok, so I got php working for the new subdir, and both my two added domains (pointing to the same new subdir) are working now.

One of them, as stated above, uses the free DNS service from MyDomain, so I am also able to manage MX records from there.

Don't know how to do it right from WH but my issue is now solved.

JGarrido
06-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Klausbert, do you think you might be able to quickly outline how it was accomplished using WH DNS? I'm now in the same boat you were in.

nventurella
06-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Just like e-mail, Site Manager applies DNS changes to ALL domains.

Let's say you have example.com as the primary domain and example.org as an additional domain. If you edit the main MX record in Site Manager it will redirect mail for both domains. If you create a new CNAME record "store" it will create both store.example.com and store.example.org.

As long as you don't need the same record pointing to different places (e.g., mail for the primary domain going to provider X but mail for the secondary domain going to provider Y), you can just use Site Manager to make all the DNS changes. If you need to make these kinds of conflicting DNS changes, contact technical support and we will setup a custom DNS zone file for you manually.