PDA

View Full Version : Installing flvtool2

dattas
07-21-2008, 02:45 PM
First, make sure you have the newest version of Ruby installed from the Site Manager, then Go here: http://rubyforge.org/projects/flvtool2/ and download the .tgz file

tar -zxvf flvtool2-*
cd flvtool2-*
ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/usr/local/
ruby setup.rb setup
ruby setup.rb install

this will install the application into /usr/local/bin for you, and that is all. You are done, To use it, you can use this:

cat /var/videos/flv/video.flv | flvtool2 -U stdin /var/videos/flv/video.flv
this will add the metadata to the flv file so that media players can read the file correctly

newstwome
01-31-2010, 09:45 PM
This is the error I receive after following the instructions. I have the most current Ruby installed from control panel. Any ideas as to what I need to do?

[~]$ tar -zxvf flvtool2-*
tar: flvtool2-*: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
[~]$ cd flvtool2-*
-sh: cd: flvtool2-*: No such file or directory
[~]$ ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/usr/local/
ruby: No such file or directory -- setup.rb (LoadError)
[~]$ ruby setup.rb setup
[~]$ ruby setup.rb install

wildjokerdesign
02-01-2010, 04:45 AM
"No such file or directory" It means just what it says. There is no flvtool2-* to untar. Normally * means you replace that with a version number depending on what you downloaded.

newstwome
02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
I change the text to show exact file name and got the following....It's like it just isn't seeing it for some reason. The file is in my downloaded folder just like others were for installation of FFMpreg etc...

[~]$ cd flvtool2-1.0.6
-sh: cd: flvtool2-1.0.6: No such file or directory
[~]$ ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/usr/local/
[~]$ ruby setup.rb setup
[~]$ ruby setup.rb install

wildjokerdesign
02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Your missing steps. :) You downloaded the file called flvtool2-1.0.6.tgz to your local computer. Then you uploaded it to your account at WestHost. That is the compressed file with all the other files in it. You then need to use the command
tar -zxvf flvtool2-1.0.6.tgz to uncompress the file. That is going to output a long string of things it is doing to your screen and finally finish giving your command prompt back to you. Then you can use cd to (change directory) into the flvtool2-1.0.6 directory that was just created when you uncompressed the file.

I mentioned this in either a PM or another post to you that I think you might be better off contacting WestHost and seeing if you can pay them to do this for you. There are just too many variables when it comes to trying to get FFMpeg installed and it keeps changing with each version. Even I was unable to get FFMpeg installed on a WestHost account the last time I attempted it. :)