PDA

View Full Version : Adding 2nd Domain Confusion

WillH
07-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Sorry to beat a dead horse here but I have read most of the posts regarding the addition of a 2nd domain but I am still very confused about the mechanics involved. I have one domain up and running. I want to move over another domain from another hosting company.

Can I add a 2nd domain as var/www/html2? Will it have access to the cgi-bin of var/www/html? Will it function as a separate site just like it was on a separate server? How does that work? Do you still specify www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/ or do you specify www.mydomain2.com/cgi-bin even though they are the same cgi-bin?

Should I get a 2nd dedicated IP?

Any idea of problems using Frontpage to publish?

My confusion stems from the fact that the domain name is not listed as the directory so I am wondering how it is kept separate without some key as to which is www.mydomain.com and which is www.mydomain2.com.

Will any of this affect GOOGLE, YAHOO page rankings?

Thanks.

wildjokerdesign
07-02-2008, 08:08 AM
WillH,

The way that they system knows how to keep the domains separate is the fact that you pointed it to /var/www/html2. The directory name itself is not important and could be anything you wanted. In fact if it is easier for you to keep track of in the file system you could point mydomain2.com to /var/www/mydomain2. :)

In order to use a single cgi-bin you would need to make a symbolic link in /var/www/html2 (or /var/www/mydomain2) called cgi-bin that points to /var/www/cgi-bin.

Since you are planning to use Frontpage it may be easier for you to simply purchase a second dedicated IP account.

WillH
07-02-2008, 10:46 AM
OK - Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "having it pointed to...." - In my DNS, I point it to the westhost server and that is the same server for any domain in my VPS. Perhaps I am missing something and hence the confusion.

(This is our first VPS so I am learning as I go.)

Thanks.

wildjokerdesign
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Not sure what you mean by "having it pointed to...." - In my DNS, I point it to the westhost server and that is the same server for any domain in my VPS.

When you added the second domain to your account you pointed it to /var/www/html2. Because you did the the "westhost server" that you pointed to in your DNS now knows where to find that domain. Does that help with the confusion?

Ahh wait a second... did you log into your Site Manager and actually add the new domain via Domain Settings > Domains? http://helpdocs.westserver.net/v3/sitemanager/Domains.htm

WillH
07-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I haven't yet added the account. Was seeking some help beforehand to make sure I set it up correctly from the start.

Will probably add the 2nd domain in the next few weeks and post progress.

Thanks for the advice.

WestHost - DWinans
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Dear Will,

When you have a secondary domain you want to add, typically you'll have it pointed to our name-servers through DNS. This forwards all requests for that domain to our name servers.

Until the secondary domain is added to your VPS, there are no DNS records for it as the system wouldn't know exactly what IP the secondary site should resolve to.

Once you add the secondary domain within Site Manager an entry is created within the Apache web server configuration file showing which directory that secondary domain resolves to. Also at that time DNS entries are created in our system resolving the secondary domain to the IP of your account.

The flow of traffic goes like this.
1. A request is made for domain2.com
2. That request is forwarded to our name-servers.
3. The name-servers resolve that request to a specific IP (VPS)
4. Apache resolves domain2.com to a directory you have specified.

Any request for domain2.com will resolve to the folder you have told it to resolve to. Just as domain1.com always resolves to /var/www/html. As Sean mentioned earlier, if you want to link to /var/www/cgi-bin from your secondary domain you can do so. Doing this means you can access the cgi-bin from either domain1.com or domain2.com because the sym-links point to the same location. If you do not create the sym link to the cgi-bin then you would not have access from domain2.com.

As far as publishing with FrontPage, if you want to do so for a secondary domain under a VPS account you must extend a virtual server for it. Extending a Virtual server can be a bit frustrating if you go at it blindly. I would suggest if you are going to go that route that you contact Technical Support and have them walk you through the process once.

WillH
07-07-2008, 10:11 AM
As far as using Frontpage for publishing, can I purchase another dedicated IP as suggested by Sean? I could then simply enter the IP as the address for Frontpage to publish. Would this avoid the "extend virtual server" issue you describe?

Thank you.

wildjokerdesign
07-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Will,

You should use the Contact Us (http://members.westhost.com/contactus.html) page and submit a support ticket asking about the second dedicated IP. Reference the url to this thread in your support request. WH well be better able to help you with this via the route then here on the forums.

I know you could purchase and entire second account with a dedicated IP but I am not sure that you could purchase just a second dedicated IP for the same account.

WestHost - DWinans
07-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Dear Will,

Unfortunatley purchasing another dedicated IP isn't an option. You can order a second VPS account with a dedicated IP as Sean suggested. Once the account is setup you would just need to make sure FrontPage extensions are installed via Site Manager. If you have a completely seperate account you do not need to extend a virtual server.

kgriffiths
07-09-2008, 01:44 AM
WillH,

The way that they system knows how to keep the domains separate is the fact that you pointed it to /var/www/html2. The directory name itself is not important and could be anything you wanted. In fact if it is easier for you to keep track of in the file system you could point mydomain2.com to /var/www/mydomain2. :)

In order to use a single cgi-bin you would need to make a symbolic link in /var/www/html2 (or /var/www/mydomain2) called cgi-bin that points to /var/www/cgi-bin.

Since you are planning to use Frontpage it may be easier for you to simply purchase a second dedicated IP account.

You don't need to get a second IP at all. If you plan on using FrontPage, you will have to extend the FrontPage Extensions Virtual Server from within Site Manager.

When you log into your FrontPage Extentions manager, it will give you an option to extend your Virtual Server. Choose that option and follow the prompts and fill out the necessary information.

As for the cgi-bin, yes you will have to create a symbolic link. If you know how to use an SSH terminal you can do this using the command from within the directory you wish it created in:

ln -s /var/www/cgi-bin cgi-bin/