PDA

View Full Version : What I/we would like to see in the next version

dattas
06-22-2008, 02:05 PM
First of all, I love Westhost, one of the best Hosting companies I have hosted my website with.
Second, I thought I would compile a list of things that I would like to see (if others post, I will modify the list to include them) I realize that Westhost may be working on some of this stuff, however I have not seen a list yet

True root access, even if it means paying more (Maybe make it an addon or something of that nature?)
Access to create our own SPF record (or a Site App that will help us create one)
Ability to install Site Applications onto secondary domains
Ability to install Site Applications into different folder names, such as installing Joomla into the root of your website, or
Ability to have more than 1 SSH user
Ability to create/edit cron jobs within Site Manager
Ability within Site Manager to create a E-mail user for just 1 domain.
Mail Dir, either as a Site App or just make it native (instead of the mailbox), it would make e-mail users that store mail on the server load so much faster)
Make SVN a Site Application
Ability to change DNS records for secondary domains, you can currently do this, but it will change the DNS records for all of the domains listed in Site Manager, in the DNS Records section you should just be able to choose: Global, or a single domain
Ability to turn on and view error/other logs from the Site Manager
Ability for name based accounts to use Sendmail on alternative port
Ability to save rules created for Spam Assassin within Site Manager or the Spam Assassin Settings
Ability to set a SpamAssassin level that will just delete the e-mails (such as 10 or higher, that way, e-mails on the blacklist will be deleted!)
Ability to reset passwords using an automated form, it could either ask the last 4 digits of the credit card on file or you should be able to create questions. Tech Support is really quick about getting those reset, but I always feel bad when I have to ask them to reset it.
Ability to have FTP users access the same folder
In Site Manager when adding a domain or sub-domain the ability to “browse” the VPS to select the folder for the domain/sub-domain to go to. (also allow a quick folder creation so we can create a new folder for the new domain)
In Site Manager, when adding a domain or sub-domain the ability to have it create a new folder for the domain (such as /var/www/newdomain). I would recommend having the default, Separate Site (the one mentioned), then custom.
Within Site Manager, we should be able to to set e-mail user mail quota to unlimited.
Ability to block certain ip addressed from certain ports, the "other" in the IP filtering section should allow you to type in a port number to block
Ability to restore backups from Site Manager, It would be nice if we could just select the files/folders we want restored, and then how many days ago we want it restored from, and it does the rest. Maybe a section just for mysql databases.
When you install something in Site Manager, if there is an edit icon for it (you can change settings, etc) there should be an icon on the left hand side under Site Applications for it for easier access, for things such as Website Creator, uebimiau, and things like that it should create a link in the Utilities section for it.
Ability to create websites for secondary domains in Website Creator.
Have a place where clients can log in (maybe even the members area) with their domain name and it will check the status of the server for them, the current http://netstatus.westhost.com is nice, however it is really hard to tell what server the VPS is on if the server is down and we cannot access Site Manager.
the option to enable secure SSL connections for email protocols – either by default for all accounts or through a new “Secure Email Access (SSL Connections)” application that can be installed through the Site Manager.
Ability to install SSL certificates from Site Manager
If a pop lock has been on a VPS for say an hour or so and there are no /bin/popd -f /etc/.qpopper-options processes running, the VPS should clear it out, or an option within Site Manager to clear out pop locks.
Domain information, such as expiration date, who the domain is registered with (or just Westhost or other), and maybe even the current Name Servers for that domain.
Ability to re-create account, like a reset to factory defaults (delete the entire VPS and re-create it), this way if I screw things up either using root(see #1) I can just reset it and then put my files back up and I am good to go.
Ability to see next bill date within Site Manager
Ability to pay my bill by clicking on a link within Site Manager.
Ability to see past invoices.
Ability to setup automatic payment with automatic Payment.
Private Domain registration
Ability to sync contact information if the domain is registered with Weshost, Example: I move, I need to change my address for billing, once I submit the form, it check if my domain (including secondary domains) are registered with Westhost, if they are, then it should ask if I want to update that information as well, then provide me check boxes for each domain so I can choose which domains will get updated.
Ability to see past tickets online, I know you can currently do this, but you will have to keep the e-mail and open each up individually to see the status, it would be nice to be able to see all of your tickets within a list (old and new) with statuses on the ticket, and just be able to click on the ticket # and be able to see and reply to tickets.
Ability to change IP tables from Shell/applications of our own - If they do root access then we should have access to this
IonCube loaders Site App
FFMPEG Site App

I don't expect much of this to make it to the end product that may come in a few years, however all of these are good ideas and would greatly improve the WestHost Experience.

To the Westhost Employees:
Thanks for looking at this list, If you have any questions about any item on there, either post here or just PM or e-mail me and I would be more than happy to explain any of these.

To the users of this form:
Please post what you would like to see in the future and we will make a big list for them to look at. Make sure to explain as much as you can so that it is clear what you mean.

hpham
06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
I too would love to see true root access along with a more realistic linux setup. This means apache runs under an 'apache' user, and ftp/ssh users each have their own user/group. Of course this will likely require a move to a more modern VPS environment, which may take a really long time.

john259
06-25-2008, 03:50 AM
Excellent list Dattas.

I'd greatly appreciate being able to access my full billing information (#30 to #32 in the list) and find it astonishing that isn't (AFAIK) currently available.

As a total non-expert, I find the inconsistency between domain registration renewal and hosting renewal very confusing. I'm not suggesting any changes should be made to those renewal mechanisms, only that additional explanations be added so as to make things much clearer and more obvious for us people who don't live with this stuff every day.

John (otherwise extremely pleased with WestHost, BTW)

Rosko
06-25-2008, 10:16 AM
It would be really nice to have access to iptables as part of root access on the account. It would also be great to have the ability to change the A record for any of your domain individually through Site Manager. That way, it would be easy to set up your hosting account as a mail server while having your site hosted either on another account or at another host, for example.

Rosko
06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Some applications I would like to see made available:
IonCube loaders (possibly made available as a checkbox option in the php installation)
FFMPEG

dattas
07-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Added new items, when you said:

It would also be great to have the ability to change the A record for any of your domain individually through Site Manager.

that is #10 on the list

Setarcos
09-05-2008, 12:30 PM
1. True root access, even if it means paying more (Maybe make it an addon or something of that nature?)
2. Access to create our own SPF record (or a Site App that will help us create one)
5. Ability to have more than 1 SSH user
10. Ability to change DNS records for secondary domains, you can currently do this, but it will change the DNS records for all of the domains listed in Site Manager, in the DNS Records section you should just be able to choose: Global, or a single domain

I second all of these, and request one more:

40. Dynamic DNS (DDNS) support

Currently I need to host my DNS elsewhere, and point back to WH (via a fixed IP) for MX, and a few other servers. I would love to transfer my DNS to WH, but their current DNS management tools/support are a bit primitive...