PDA

View Full Version : Moving Domain from one WH account to another

REC-WH
06-09-2008, 08:17 AM
About 2 weeks ago I move a domain from one WH account to another. The move only works part of the time. I realize that it take some time to migrate thru the internet. But why does it work sometimes? It revert back to the old account. I don't know if it is the internet servers or WH servers being busy and reverting to old stored information. Any comments or suggestion would be appreciated!

I just Google this Domain Name and the results were interesting. The**** XXXX .com *** is my 4-letter Domain Name. It appears that there are emails being send to an address at this Domain or the site is hijacked?

Google Results:
**** oacxe (niugt@XXXX.com)*****

SPAMBOT AVCISI

****UaxkMfL@XXXX.com ****

xKG1@k------w.ca Wz8W@----a.ca ...

???: 4 Vistas: 4
?? : Information Title: Information
???: --uca Author: -uca
????? gteuf@XXXX.com ????? http://-------6.110mb.com/drug-
**** Send mail gteuf@XXXX.com homeurogagi****

Any comments or suggestion would be appreciated!
Thanks,

Charlie

wildjokerdesign
06-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Have you contacted WH about this yet? I don't quite understand your information added about googleing your site. Why would google show that emails where sent to the domain? Can you log into the domain via FTP?

I can't remember if you are a reseller or not, if so did you make the move via the Server Manager? If not was WH involved in the move?

You are more then welcome to PM me the domain name and I can see how it pulls up on my computer.

REC-WH
06-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Have you contacted WH about this yet? I don't quite understand your information added about googleing your site. Why would google show that emails where sent to the domain? Can you log into the domain via FTP?

I can't remember if you are a reseller or not, if so did you make the move via the Server Manager? If not was WH involved in the move?

You are more then welcome to PM me the domain name and I can see how it pulls up on my computer.

I am not a reseller. I've had two accounts for about many years and will combine them or ??. I used the Site Manager and deleted the Domain Name from one account. Then I went to the other account and add the Domain Name. It is registered at GoDaddy and pointed to WH DNS so no change should be needed there. I think?

I don't understand why Google shows people with email accounts for my Domain listed under other Domains??? The Domains that have the email accounts listed for my site are are in Asia. I don't think this is related to my problem! But I was surprise to see people listed with email accounts for my site.

The only thing that I can think of is that both account accounts could be on the same server and that is a problem. The Domain Name is install in the /var/www folder. It appears that the site works randomly and then reverts back to the old account. This is the main problem all else seen to work OK!

Thanks Shawn for the reply!!! I will contact WH.

Charlie

JGarrido
06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
How did that move work out? I'm about the do the exact same thing (with the added complication that the email is hosted by Google Apps), so any pointers would be appreciated.

nventurella
06-10-2009, 01:56 PM
About 2 weeks ago I move a domain from one WH account to another. The move only works part of the time. I realize that it take some time to migrate thru the internet. But why does it work sometimes? It revert back to the old account. I don't know if it is the internet servers or WH servers being busy and reverting to old stored information.
This would be caused by a problem in the WestHost DNS servers. We use two nameservers -- ns1.west-datacenter.net and ns2.west-datacenter.net -- and if the two nameservers contain different information (one updated but one did not), then the "new" site would show up intermitently and the "old" site would show up intermitently. This, of course, should not happen -- the nameserver should remain in sync -- but if you see this sparodic behavior after 24 hours, then we may need to manually force the DNS to update/resync. Contact technical support and we can force a DNS update to our nameservers to correct this probelm.

nventurella
06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
How did that move work out? I'm about the do the exact same thing (with the added complication that the email is hosted by Google Apps), so any pointers would be appreciated.
Is e-mail for both the new and the old account hosted by Google Apps? If so, you should have no problems.

If one account has mail hosted locally [locally meaning mail hosted at WestHost] but the other has mail at Google Apps, there will be at least a brief period of e-mail downtime because it will be necessary to create custom DNS records through technical support. Contact technical support for assistance in making the move as smooth as possible.

Another option to avoid downtime almost completely [as completely as is technically possible] is to use external DNS servers, such as EditDNS.net (http://www.editdns.net/) to host your DNS for the site you are moving. EditDNS will allow you to have complete control over your DNS settings and it also allows you to set very low TTLs temporarily so changes should be effective in, say, 5 minutes instead of a few hours.