PDA

View Full Version : New install of Joomla 1.5 casues blank screen or error 500

hpliao77
06-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Just like to post this up just in case someone else had run into this issue too.

I've installed Joomla 1.5 and when I tried to access the page. (Example http://domain.com/joomla/) it would always be blank in Firefox and a 500 error in IE 7.

After some digging around online, I was able to solve my issue. I've found out that during the installation of Joomla from Westhost Site Manager which asks me to provide the description of my site. I had place an apostrophe in the description. (Example Joe's site) This had caused the following error to display after setting the etc\php.ini file to display errors, and restarting the account.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /var/www/html/joomla/configuration.php on line 92

So the solution is to do one of the following.

1. Uninstall Joomla 1.5 and reinstall it making sure there’s no apostrophe in the meta descriptions.

2. Edit the configuration.php file and go to the line which has the issue related to the error message, and remove the apostrophe.

dattas
06-12-2008, 01:12 AM
They must of fixed it, I just tried doing a single quote and it came up just fine. No problems at all. Tried one in each field as well as just in one field and it worked both times.