PDA

View Full Version : '/usr/movies/' ? Darwin SS Question

J_M
04-30-2008, 06:57 AM
The WH manual asks for an alias to be created that points to the default '/usr/movies/' folder.

But after the Darwin installation '/usr/movies/' was created not, do I also need to create a folder '/usr/movies/' or is the info on the help site older and media should be placed in the following directory which was created?

/usr/local/darwin-streaming-server-5.5.4/movies

http://www.helpdocs.westserver.net/sitemanager/SA_Darwin_Stream_Server.htm

"there are a couple of steps that you need to follow to get Darwin Streaming Server to work:

In Site Manager go to 'Domain Management>Web Aliases' and create an alias called '/movies/' with a path to '/usr/movies/' "

wildjokerdesign
04-30-2008, 07:53 AM
I have not ran the West Host install of Darwin for quite some time now but last time I did it created the /usr/movies directory for you and placed inside it a sample.mov file. Did you install this via the Site Manager or manually? If by chance you installed manually it is possible that the path is different but also note that the WH installation creates a symbolic link in /usr/local/darwin-streaming-server-5.5.4/ called movies that actually leads to /usr/movies. Is the file you are seeing a symbolic link perhaps? What program to you use for FTP? Most well show a symbolic link differently via the icon used and then show where that link goes to in one of the columns to the left.

If you did install via WH Site Manager and there is no /usr/movies directory then you should contact them via the Contact Us link at the top of the page to let them know that something is up. :)

J_M
04-30-2008, 08:17 AM
thanks for the response. I used the site manager for the install, the darwin-streaming-server-5.5.4/movies folder appears to not be an alias. Does DSS actually "look" to a default folder 'usr/movies' and do you think that I can just move the folder?

>you should contact them via the Contact Us link

will do.

regards, j

wildjokerdesign
04-30-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't think you can just move the folder. Since /usr/movies was not created you should most likely wait till you hear back from West Host on this. I could be they have changed the default set up of things. On old the old set up, I think that DSS looked for movie files in '/usr/movies'. I have never really looked at the set up that close.

J_M
05-01-2008, 07:45 AM
I received info from WH and apparently the DSS installation doesn't create the /usr/movies folder even though it is referenced in the WH documentation (needs to be updated ? ). The advice was to create the folder and the alias. But upon further investigation DSS does indeed point to the default folder : /usr/local/darwin-streaming-server-5.5.4/movies and not to /usr/movies.
So it appears that if I follow the WH Docs it may not work, since DSS isn't setup to look there. So my options are to change the DSS default media settings and create the new folders, or make an alias in my root that points to the : /usr/local/darwin-streaming-server-5.5.4/movies

At least that's how it appears, I guess I'll find out when I eventually get around to doing it.

regards.

wildjokerdesign
05-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I would bet that the reason that WH suggest that you place your movies in /usr/movies is so that if you ever uninstall Darwin you do not loose the movies stored on the server since the default is within the program directory which would be remove on un-install. I am pretty sure that both the /usr/movie directory and a symbolic link from /usr/local/darwin-streaming-server-5.5.4/movies to it used to be created by the WH install. Not sure why they changed that since it seems that it well just lead to confusion. :)

J_M
05-01-2008, 01:26 PM
>I would bet that the reason that WH suggest that you place your movies in /usr/movies is so that if you ever uninstall Darwin you do not loose the movies stored on the server since the default is within the program directory which would be remove on un-install.

that makes sense. you mentioned earlier that you didn't think that I could just move the folder out of the DSS folder and to /usr/movies .

If I were to move it out of the DSS folder and use the DSS interface to change the default media folder, are there any other reasons why it may not work?

thanks again,

wildjokerdesign
05-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I can't think of any reason why that would not work. As long as DSS knows where to look fro things you should be good.

wildjokerdesign
05-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I just realized that the Help files we where looking at that you linked to are the old WH2 manual. Then new manual pages do not mention /usr/movies at all or creating the Symbolic link. :)
http://helpdocs.westserver.net/v3/sitemanager/Darwin_Stream_Server.htm

J_M
05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Oouch!

oh well, it's been nice chatting with you, thanks for the keen eye! Although I think that I simply linked from the install menu, but I just checked and it's the v3 docs. I emailed WH about the discrepancy in the docs, but I'm guessing that it's my error.

regards.