PDA

View Full Version : One-click install

TonyL
04-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I have a standard install I do for most of my Westhost that includes some of the usual applications available through the Manager and a content management system I use, TYPO3.

I'd like to reduce the man-hours it takes to do these. Is there any way to expedite the process of installing:
PHPMyAdmin -> MySQL & PHP
Spamassassin
ImageMagick
AWstats
the CMS (in htdocs and mysql database)

Thanks -- Tony

dattas
05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
hey tony,

I can setup (and configure) the first 4 (PHPMyAdmin, MySQL, PHP, Spamassassin, ImageMagick, AWstats) within 10 minutes, I think that the site manager makes it pretty easy to do, you click install, enter in one or two pieces of information and bam it is installed, no having to worry about paths, if it is configured correctly, or about security, it is all done for you. How would you suggest that Westhost reduce the man-hours for those?

The CMS is different, you can install it in a few clicks but it will take a while to create all the pages you want, so there really isn't any way to reduce the man-hours on that...

TonyL
05-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I can do a wget and untar on the new site of tarballs from a dummy site's MySQL databases and htdocs content to expedite the CMS's install, so that takes just a few seconds.

I can give my customers better value if the whole process takes less time, which is why I ask the question.

Thanks -- Tony

dattas
05-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I am not seeing any questions here.... You could create a bash script so you just run that script and it installs it for you, but that would be quite a pain in the butt... like I said before it is really quick and easy to install all of the Site Applications, it is usually the configuration which takes time, and Westhost shouldn't have to help you configure things, they provide lots of documentation, and the things they don't have lots on (like oscommerce) they do give links to that where they do not have the documentation themselves.