PDA

View Full Version : CNAM or A Record instead of DNS

itochka
03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
For my secondary domains: can I just leave the domain on my registrar's nameservers and point it to westhost as a CNAME or A Record, the same way you point your domain if you are blogging at typepad or similar?

The reason that I don't want to point the secondary domains' DNS here is that I'm unhappy with how multiple domain emails are (not) managed. I want to have about 10 personal/family sites. Of course everyone needs their own domain and their own private email, which you apparently need to be a command line whiz to do in this setup, and it causes problems with applications, etc. Fair enough, that's the nature of the product and it was up to me to research the fact that I wouldn't have the kind of conveniences I had with shared hosting. I'm deciding whether to cancel or keep my account. Since I have just finished installing Wordpress MU with the multi-domain plugin, which I am very pleased about, as well as another CMS I license for multiple domains, and both are working fine -- I would rather not undo all that work and it's the email inconvenience that is the problem. So if I can manage the emails for all but the main domain elsewhere my needs will be met.

WestHost - DWinans
03-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Dear itochka,

That ability will depend on what your registrar's capabilities are, however it is pretty basic functionality so it should be possibly to do either.

itochka
03-24-2008, 06:46 AM
The registrar of course can do it. Do I set up the domain in the westhost control panel the exact same way as if I pointed the entire DNS here?

wildjokerdesign
03-24-2008, 07:30 AM
As detailed in the WH documentation under Domain Settings -> Domain (http://www.helpdocs.westserver.net/v3/sitemanager/Domains.htm) I belive the only difference would be that you want to not check "use local mail server" when you set up the domain.