PDA

View Full Version : Redirecting Blogger to West Host?

PhotoDad
02-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I just registered my domain with West Host and I'd like to point my blog from blogger.com to my new site. Blogger's instructions seem pretty straightforward but I'm having trouble convincing my west host account to agree.

Basically, Blogger says I need to create a CNAME record for my domain with the DNS, associating my domain with ghs.google.com.

But my main domain (www) isn't allowed to be edited. "The message is The definition of this record cannot be modified."

It seems like I need to create a subdomain like www.blog.familyroadtrippers.com, but that's not very convenient at all. I'd rather be able to point people to www.familyroadtrippers.com and be done with it.

What am I missing?
Thanks in advance,
Dan

godrockzzz
02-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I would suggest putting in a support ticket to have the CNAME addition made. We don't have full DNS abilities though it does seem editing CNAME should be allowed so it may be an issue with your account.

wildjokerdesign
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I am confused? Are you trying to get any traffic that goes to your blog located on blogger.com to be redirected to your new domain hosted here at West Host? Or are you trying to point this new domain to your old blog?

godrockzzz
02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Shawn, it's like the google mail service for webmasters...you use the domain name on blogger's service. The CNAME has to be set to "ghs.google.com."
Really the only use of the hosting package here is to host pictures, files, etc... Personally i'd forward the blogger blog to the domain here, you have more freedom.

wildjokerdesign
02-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Ah... I see, thanks for clarifying that for me. I am with you that it would make more sense to forward the blogger blog to the actual domain name here. :)