PDA

View Full Version : WestHost for a php forum?

JimD
01-18-2008, 02:30 AM
Hi. I currently run a php forum for homebrewers.

Our current shared hosting plan has quite a low bandwidth limit (15GB/month) and we are on the point of outgrowing that, as we are averaging over 10GB/month at the moment. Apart from a few odd occasions, we don't seem to have a problem with resources (CPU/memory).

I'd be grateful if someone from WestHost could tell me if their shared plans are suitable for this kind of forum.

The site is here (http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/index.php) by the way.

wildjokerdesign
01-18-2008, 07:37 AM
West Host is pretty good for sites running a forum. They only offer phpBB as a forum software via the Site Meter but you can install just about any of them manually. As a rule you should not have a problem with CPU usage and there are things you can do to keep that under control like restricting access of SE's depending on the forum software you use. They also offer eAccelerator via the Site Manager which can help with CPU usage and bandwidth.

JimD
01-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the reply.

At the moment we're trying to do all we can to reduce unneccessary loading (tweaking our robots.txt file, for example) and that all helps. :)

Excuse my ignorance, but what are SEs?

wildjokerdesign
01-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Search Engins :) Most the time you well see SEO (Search Engine Optimization)

JimD
01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Search Engins :) Most the time you well see SEO (Search Engine Optimization)

Of course! Yes, search engines can knock a hole in your bandwidth if you don't watch them - as we found out to our cost. We had one called Yandex use up 3GB in a week and a half before we blocked it. :(