PDA

View Full Version : mud hosting

godrockzzz
10-01-2007, 11:31 PM
I am curious if hosting muds is something allowed at westhost?

Thank you

WestHost - MPlatis
10-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Muds can be hosted by WestHost. As long as you go by the Terms and Conditions, you should be fine.

http://www.westhost.com/terms-conditions.html

godrockzzz
10-07-2007, 12:42 AM
So we can open ports?

WestHost - DWinans
10-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Dear Client,

Except for a few restrictions (e.g. ports used for IRC), any available port can be used if you have a dedicated IP address. You are not restricted to only using ports above 1024.

godrockzzz
01-16-2008, 05:34 PM
I haven't fully changed everything yet but the mud is up and running at 208.131.140.159:6161

DrSnoCaps
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Dear Client,

Except for a few restrictions (e.g. ports used for IRC), any available port can be used if you have a dedicated IP address. You are not restricted to only using ports above 1024.

OK - How do I do that? I need to open port 51127 for use with flashchat.

dattas
10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
DrSnoCaps,
The way the VPSs work here is that by default, all ports appear closed, but that is because something on WestHost's end makes it appear that way. All you need to do is start the server listening on that port and presto, the port appears open, it is much better than a lot of other hosting companies where you have to change port settings within a control panel. The more automatic things are, the less I have to do in my opinion.

DrSnoCaps
10-17-2008, 09:05 AM
DrSnoCaps,
The way the VPSs work here is that by default, all ports appear closed, but that is because something on WestHost's end makes it appear that way. All you need to do is start the server listening on that port and presto, the port appears open, it is much better than a lot of other hosting companies where you have to change port settings within a control panel. The more automatic things are, the less I have to do in my opinion.

The problem seems to be that 'appearing closed' causes flashchat to hang and not start properly. Is there any way to force a couple of ports open whether anything is listening or not?

dattas
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Not that I am aware, There shouldn't be any problem, if a program is listening on a port, then that port will be open, I would assume that this program is not configured properly on your account and that is why it is not working. If you don't have a program listening on a port, even on a windows computer, that port will appear to be closed, but all you have to do is have a program listen on that port and it becomes open.

DrSnoCaps
10-17-2008, 12:21 PM
I moved my site from successfulhosting to westhost but my old account is still available so I checked and it works the exact same way vis-a-vis ports showing active only when a listener is active. They look like pretty much the same environment except ulimit -aS shows the old account having unlimited open files (ulimit -n) and unlimited filesize (ulimit -f). The westhost account limits these to 1024 and 2048 respectively, which I think should be plenty for my use.

I very confused at this point.... :-/