PDA

View Full Version : Gripe: WestHost site backup

Prentiss Riddle
08-11-2007, 09:03 AM
I just tried using the site backup feature in WestHost's site manager. I'm not happy.

The backup process freezes your site, but doesn't tell you about it until *after* you commit to the backup.

Then you're supposed to be able to abort the backup and resume the execution of your site by canceling the download, but at least in my case that didn't happen right away -- I had a few minutes of panic when not even the site manager would give me anything but a blank screen.

In addition to that disaster there are further annoyances, such as the fact that their backup form requires you to choose among a number of options ("all files" vs. "content files only," for example) without defining them. Does "all files" really back up the whole Linux installation? It would be nice to know.

I understand why one might want to freeze a site for backups (although I wish I had a choice in whether to do so), but giving me a button to click that shuts down my site without warning is simply unacceptable.

hpham
08-11-2007, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't recommend using that backup function. I either tar my own files or use rsync to download my entire vps.

My guess is the backup / restore function was not intended for normal use. In fact, WH3 installations no longer have the backup function. It is way easier (and faster) to use rsync to sync directories for backup purposes. Search the forum on how to use this.

WestHost - CRussell
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Correct, the backup / restore function was removed from the 3.0 Site Manager until we release a new version. It's currently in our plans and hope to have something much better out in the future.

Pablo
03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Is it possible then to restore a v2 backup to a v3 host? I hope so as the backup I made today was 2.5gb and took over 3hrs!

WestHost - MCox
03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Pablo,

I'm afraid not. There is currently no restore option available within the 3.0 Site Manager. However, by extracting the backup file that you downloaded, you may be able to access the files directly to restore specific ones, if needed.