PDA

View Full Version : What is the easiest E-commerce solution?

zoomiest
07-19-2007, 10:43 PM
My friend is hoping to sell jewelry on the Internet. She is a windows user but non-technical.

What is the easiest E-commerce solution for non-technical people?

Hopefully, she can just upload pictures of jewelry, and fill-in-the-blank about the cost and item descriptions, and the site does pretty much the rest.

Any suggestions? I haven't tried ANY, so even osCommerce in new to me...

- Zoomiest.

Corrado Fiore
07-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi,

I have some years' experience in eCommerce solutions. IMHO:

- OScommerce is a great product (also multilingual) but you'll need a PHP developer to make a real production system out of it (I did, and it worked well). I wouldn't suggest it for someone who hasn't any real technical knowledge. Also, since your friend wishes to sell jewelry, he/she will need some serious templating, which is not so easy if you don't understand PHP.

- Miva is a mistery to me. I used version 4 some years ago. It works out of the box, but its source code is so closed that even making basic customization is a nightmare. Consider it a "black box": you have no fine control on what is being output. But, since it's included for free on most WH packages, you might want to give it a try.

Please note: I don't blame WH for making the above apps available - I know they're being heavily used. My point is that (IMHO) none of them is adequate for an entrepreneur who isn't backed by a technical staff.

If I were you, I would suggest the use of a third party service, like Yahoo Shops or eBay Shops. They have a tech staff who will take care of the system and both should be easy to use. Then, I would use Westhost for serious email and some launch pages.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Corrado