PDA

View Full Version : What? No playlist for streaming video on Darwin?????

concusion
07-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Anyone know what the deal is with the version of Darwin supported by Westhost? I was running a small video "tv" channel off a friends server using Darwin, but the bandwidth etc was not enough to support our growth, so I found Westhosting, talked to the "Sales" people before I purchased a dedicated server....

Set up Darwin, looks like everything is running fine, but then I dont see a "Playlist" link on the Darwin Admin... where you would create a playlist and stream it live to users.. trying everythign I can think of, going through help and help trying to find how to activate this playlist link. I go to the Darwin help here on Westhost and their screenshots don't have a Playlist link nor do they even mention this option on the setup.

Is this not possible? Did I get duped into buying a server that can't even stream a playlist of videos? Can someone instruct me if I'm wrong, on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
-Tim

Corrado Fiore
07-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi,

AFAIK, WestHost is just providing a pre-installed version of DSS. What the server can (or can't) do is almost always up to the software package itself (which, in our case, is different from Quicktime Streaming Server).

Did you already check the DSS page at Apple? Maybe there's some way to enable a playlist on Darwin:

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/server/streaming/index.html

Cheers,
Corrado