PDA

View Full Version : domain redirect

lclark
06-19-2007, 06:52 AM
my client registered a domain with another service, but wants that domain name to point to another site that i have hosted here as a subdomain

How do i do that, so when you type in www.name.com you go to www.site.com

there is no site built for www.name.com, just want to redirect

thanks

Lisa

wildjokerdesign
06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
You would simply point the new domain to /var/www/html which is the root www of your main domain. Now if for some reason it is not the main domain you where talking about but another secondary domain then you simply point it to the same path you set for that other secondary domain.

lclark
06-19-2007, 08:38 AM
You would simply point the new domain to /var/www/html which is the root www of your main domain. Now if for some reason it is not the main domain you where talking about but another secondary domain then you simply point it to the same path you set for that other secondary domain.

it is to point to a secondary domain.

wildjokerdesign
06-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Then just use the path you set for the secondary domain. The only thing you might run into is that once they get to the site that your links then show as the secondary domain. Depends on how that site is set up. :)

lclark
06-19-2007, 09:09 AM
do you mean in the title bar

lclark
06-19-2007, 10:39 AM
i need to do this in the .htacces correct?

rolling
06-19-2007, 04:49 PM
What Shawn is suggesting is that you use your Site Manager to create another domain or subdomain for your friend. When asked where to locate this, point it to your secondary domain's directory.

You can then change name.com so that it uses Westhost's nameservers and things should display correctly.

If you want to use redirection on your friend's server, then you would have to use .htaccess (if they have access to it). Using cloaked redirection would leave the URLs using name.com instead of site.com