PDA

View Full Version : Apache 2.2 would be nice

Taza
06-10-2007, 06:50 AM
I'd like to try mod_cache...

hpham
06-11-2007, 05:17 PM
WH3 accounts have Apache 2 (although I don't know what version of apache 2 they are running). In any case, you will have to wait for your account to be upgraded to a WH3 account later this year if you want Apache 2.

I, like you, am desperately in need of Apache 2. I have a WH2 account, but was lucky enough to beta test a WH3 account. WH3 is like heaven compared to the horrid WH2 account and server I am stuck on.

So, all we can do is pray to be upgraded to a WH3 account soon.

rolling
06-11-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm due to be upgraded in the next 24 hours. Will report back on my experience...

WestHost - DWinans
06-12-2007, 03:00 AM
The current version of Apache on 3.0 is Apache 2.0.52

hpham
06-12-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm due to be upgraded in the next 24 hours. Will report back on my experience...

Dang. Are you beta testing the transition or is it some larger scale upgrade of a select group of accounts? I have been begging for alternative methods of moving towards a WH3 account, but have been turned down with "no" answers every time. The wait is slowly pushing me to move to a different provider...

rolling
06-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Sorry to raise everybody's hopes

In preparation for upgrading your account to our new 3.0 environment later this summer, the following account(s) will be moved to a new server on June 12th between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. MDT.
I misread that sentence in my excitement :(

There might be a way to upgrade sooner. If you volunteer to upgrade your package to a new offering, then they might refund you the remainder of your current offering.

Why are you so keen to upgrade? You can build Apache 2.x for Westhost 2.0 if you want. You just need to modify the /etc/rc.d/rc so that it doesn't run Westhost's Apache.

hpham
06-13-2007, 08:22 AM
The reason I want to upgrade so badly is because the server I am on freezes a lot and is quite sluggish when it comes to disk access. Westhost says they couldn't find any problems and that any intermittent problems will be fixed when WH3 comes.

Another large issue is the constant freezing with SSH on my WH2 account. I constantly get "cannot run interactive command" errors during freeze periods, which makes me extremely angry that I have to wait 2 minutes between every single little command I do. There are times when it runs perfectly, but there are times when there is complete lockup.

My guess is WH may have piled too many accounts on wdclnx99. It seemed to be their last server on their network status page for a long time which makes me wonder if they just piled on a bunch of accounts while they slowly got new servers.

rolling
06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Try asking for your account to be moved to a different server. I believe that they have done this in the past.

My account was not moved today after all.