PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Service Package with a different Resource Set

andz
05-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Is it possible to switch an account to a service package that has a different resource set?

I notice that if an account is using a particular resource set, when trying to edit that account, that service packages using a different resource set are NOT available for you to switch to.

How does one get around this or is this not possible?

wildjokerdesign
05-13-2007, 08:33 AM
You have to switch the accounts Service Package. As you have discovered you can not simply change the resource set for the Service Package that the account currently uses.

So first you need to go in and create new Service Packages using the new WH 3.0 resource set that well match your old Service Packages and then go in and use those new SP's for your accounts.

I would do this one at a time and check the accounts before you move on to more. At least for the first few. That way you make sure that the changes you have made are indeed right for the accounts.

WH had said that they where going to send out "instructions" on how to make the switch to WH 3.0 for Resellers but I have not recieved anything yet. Could be there is more infromation now in the Help Pages for Resellers but I have not checked them in the last few days.

andz
05-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the answer, Shawn, although I'm not sure if we're on the same page here.

My account is still at WH2.0, and I see 2 different Resource Sets - SharedServers (which has Tomcat) and v2_ResellerServers (which doesn't have Tomcat).

I want to get Tomcat to appear on an existing account, so I create a Service Package XXX that uses the "SharedServers" resource set. However, when I try to switch the Service Package for an existing account, Service Package "XXX" does not show up so I can't switch to it at all.

I also tried another tack, and edited the Service Package of an existing account to use the "SharedServers" Resource Set and "Apply the Service Package" to it but after a few hours i still dont see the newer applications.

wildjokerdesign
05-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Ahh.... I see now. Sorry I was switching things around. You can switch an SP's resource set but I think that WH warned use against doing that. I could have that reversed and that when we where testing we could switch between the old WH 2.0 and Wh 3.0 SP's with each account. It seems there was a problem when doing that and maybe they decided to make that not possible. I just can't remember now. :)

WH was supposed to send us information on how to switch over but I have not seen that yet. It could be that although the new Resource Sets are showing up they don't want us to really migrate old accounts yet. I am using the new Resource Sets on an account but since it was my test domain I simply deleted the domain via the Server Manager and added again and used the new SP.

You can create "test" accounts in Server Manager even if you don't have an extra domain by using something like "yourdomain.com.whsites.net" as the domain name. In fact way back when I needed to "re-work" one of my live domains and used this method to get the new version up and running. Once I had everything how I needed it I simply went in and switched the "Domain:" setting on each account. The let me make sure everything was working before I deleted the old account. :)

P.S. There is this misteious "Prep for Temporary Domains" add on right now in Server Manager but I have no idea what it is for. Perhaps that is something that well come into play. The manual is pretty generic at this point so it is not much help. I really wish it had a "How to migrate from WH 2.0 to WH 3.0" heading... that is a hint West Host. ;)

rgkopchak
05-31-2007, 01:43 AM
Did we ever get this? I searched for info, but only came up with this thread.

wildjokerdesign
05-31-2007, 06:18 AM
I have not received any "official" information on switching an account from WH2.0 over to WH3.0.

At this point I am playing it safe and simply creating temporary accounts that use theWH3.0 resources then manually moving the files from the old account over to the new WH3.0 account. I then test everything out and if it is working switch the domain for two via the Server Manager. Pretty sure there has to be an easier way but until WH comes out with some information for us on this I think it is the safest way to do it. :)

WestHost - MCox
05-31-2007, 09:56 AM
All 2.0 accounts will be automatically upgraded this summer by our Hosting Systems department. If you want to upgrade an account right away, here is how to do it:

1. Create a new service package under the SharedServers (3.0) resource set
2. Create a new account with a temporary domain name under the new service package
3. Move the files from the old account to the new account and install any applications you will need
4. Test the new account to make sure it's running how you want it to
5. Delete the old account
6. Change the domain name on the new account

That will do it for you. Alternatively, if you aren't worried about keeping data, you can skip most of the steps by just deleting the old account and creating it again with a 3.0 service package.

Notice: Please keep in mind that WestHost will not be able to retrieve lost data for you if you go through with this process. We suggest just waiting a couple months for the account to be automatically upgraded by us.

wildjokerdesign
05-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the information Mark. It is good to hear that in time the accounts well be upgraded automatically. I was under the impression that if you where a re-seller you would have to do it yourself. That takes some load off me. :)