PDA

View Full Version : Joomla is very pretty but Drupal rocks

twohills
03-27-2007, 05:27 PM
How about packaging the CMS of choice for serious developers? http://drupal.org

Mistra
03-28-2007, 11:20 PM
That is a great idea because I find Drupal is very difficult to install if compared to Joomla. Installation of Joomla is so easy that you don't need to read the manual. I don't like to read manual. :rolleyes: :(

Pierre
03-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow quite the flamebait statement.... who are these serious developers you speak of?
You can ask for Drupal without ripping on other CMS's.
Really which CMS is best is totally subjective.
I see Drupal as the middle ground between wordpress and joomla in terms of simplicity vs. functionality.

nikikelly74
08-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I'd like to second the motion to have Drupal packaged for installation on Westhost.....very slick CMS!

jonkun227
09-07-2007, 01:41 AM
I came to Westhost (visiting and determining if I'll switch) from Lunarpages because I'm tired of problems with their service. The applications that can be installed through CPanel/Fantastico are sad and out-of-date. They don't offer SSH. They consider a backup copy of my file structure and database as "not site-related" so they deleted it from the server, even though I'm using only 6% of my alloted space. Uploading it again would take days, so if anything happens to my site they've guaranteed I'll be down for days. My list of complaints could go on and on.

I'm stuck on one thing, though. Drupal is not available (yet) as an auto-install. The process is very long and complicated and easy to screw up when done manually. But once it's up it is phenomenally easier to use than Joomla (and Mambo before it), more powerful than Wordpress, and generally more useful than any other CMS I've tried. I'm quite sold on it. And the lack of support by Westhost makes me think about going elsewhere. But I've heard good things about Westhost from friends around the U.S., and I'm more-or-less local.

My billing cycle with Lunarpages ends on October 10, 2007. If Drupal is available by then I will certainly switch to Westhost. Otherwise I'll have to look elsewhere.

- Jon

wildjokerdesign
09-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Last time I installed Drupal on an account here at WestHost it was a breeze and took not time at all. What part of the install do you find a problem? I personally prefer if WestHost does not spend there time adding things like this to the Site Manager. Just about any php based program that I have found works at WestHost and most goods ones have a simple install script with them. I find it much easier to maintain and keep such manual installations updated. In fact I even install many that are available via the Site Manager manually for that reason.

jonkun227
09-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm realizing that the installation hassles were with version 4.x. Version 5 isn't so bad. It can still be difficult to manage multiple databases and users with multiple installations on the same account (this is where a Fantastico-type utility is helpful), especially for those of us who are not development experts and have only a cursory knowledge of php & mysql. That's largely the point of a CMS: non-development experts get access to incredible site tools without needed to do any development work themselves.

I've done Drupal & Gallery2 & PostNuke & other installations manually. I've also done them with Fantastico. I much prefer Fantastico.

Btw, Drupal rocks.

- Jon

wildjokerdesign
09-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I do see your point but even Drupal is not a fan of things like Fantastico. :)
http://drupal.org/forum/fantastico-de-luxe

jonkun227
09-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Interesting. I've not experienced the problems described in the installations I've done of other systems, but I can certainly appreciate the experiences of others.

Thanks for the link. I'm convinced.

- Jon

epicheirimatias
12-13-2007, 12:29 AM
If you can use Drupal, then you won't need easy installation tools. :)