PDA

View Full Version : Newby: SSI Questions

On the Ramparts
03-07-2007, 03:38 PM
New to WestHost. Have "NewYearSpecialPlus07" type account.

I have administered a personal/educational site for the last 15 yrs with an ISP who does not offer near the control that WestHost does - for two to three times the cost. The primary reasons for my change is to gain more control over the site, and cut costs (previous ISP has been charging extra for bandwidth - only getting 1.8G traffic or so per month, but paying through the nose).

Have about 50 pages, mostly plain HTML, not processor intensive (a little Real Audio set for download rather than streaming, though streaming server is available on WestHost), but plan on increased traffic on the main site and the possibility of hosting others.

Questions:

1. Best way to organize site for possible add on clients.

2. Main site has grown too large to update easily, SSI or PHP includes considered for main navigation menu (ease of site wide update, transparent function, browser independent). Main menu is JavaScript (no way around it I fear) - tested and works PHP or SSI, but I prefer NOT to change extensions on my pages for fear of losing traffic and page ratings that it has taken years to develop.

Is it possible to keep .html extensions and still incorporate SSI or PHP server side includes for navigation menu? Can this be implemented for main site only, ie, client sites more closely supervised and secured. Are there security or processor problems arising from .html server side includes?

3. I have never before had experience with VPS servers, but I can see the advantage of such. Any advice or best practices will be MUCH appreciated! Security? Management? Optimization?

Thanks in advance, pleased to be in the company of "Geeks" such as you. Hope to be a good citizen now, and one who is able to add to the community in the future.

jalal
03-08-2007, 12:49 AM
1. Best way to organize site for possible add on clients.

That is kind of an open question and it depends a bit on what "other clients" means. Normally one VPS handles one domain, so each client would get there own VPS. Unless a client means a sub-domain...?
It is possible to stack more than one domain into a VPS but it is usually more trouble than it is worth, especially if you have to deal with email issues as well. If you plan on having multiple clients with their own domains, then you probably want to open a Reseller account here.

2. Main site has grown too large to update easily, SSI or PHP includes considered for main navigation menu (ease of site wide update, transparent function, browser independent). Main menu is JavaScript (no way around it I fear) - tested and works PHP or SSI, but I prefer NOT to change extensions on my pages for fear of losing traffic and page ratings that it has taken years to develop.

Is it possible to keep .html extensions and still incorporate SSI or PHP server side includes for navigation menu? Can this be implemented for main site only, ie, client sites more closely supervised and secured. Are there security or processor problems arising from .html server side includes?

SSI has had security issues in the past, I'm not sure if that is still true. But PHP will offer you a lot more flexibility in the long run. You can tell Apache to parse .html files as .php files by a setting in the httpd.conf file.

3. I have never before had experience with VPS servers, but I can see the advantage of such. Any advice or best practices will be MUCH appreciated! Security? Management? Optimization?

As I said above, don't try to stack separate, disparate domains onto one VPS. Westhost offers nice cheap VPSs so that you can use one for each domain. That is one of the key selling points of the Westhost setup.

Thanks in advance, pleased to be in the company of "Geeks" such as you. Hope to be a good citizen now, and one who is able to add to the community in the future.

Welcome to the Westhost forums!

:)

wildjokerdesign
03-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Just want to reinforce Jalal's suggestion that if you are going to offer space to other clients that you do it via a Re-sellers account. There are way too many issues and limitations to using your own VPS as a shared hosting environment. That is not what it is intended to be used for. :)

On the Ramparts
03-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks!

Sub domains, if used, will be written and administered from main site.

If I get to the point I want to sell space, I will upgrade to reseller account.

jponiato
03-08-2007, 11:15 AM
New to WestHost. Have "NewYearSpecialPlus07" type account.
<snip>

<snip>

Yes, you can use SSI with page extension of .html or .htm. The reasons for not doing so are centered around performance. If you configure apache to process SSIs on pages with these extensions, apache has to parse every page looking for the includes. If you use a convention where all your includes appear in pages with .shtml extensions (for example), then it will only parse these pages for includes. I can locate the exact settings if you want.

BTW, I use one vps to host a couple of small domains. The issues have not been a problem for me so far. If this expands to 4 or 5, I'll probably move to a reseller account.

On the Ramparts
03-12-2007, 07:10 PM
:) And after a little tweeking SSI includes and JavaScripts are working fine. Don't laugh too hard, my audience likes things simple and out front - client side JavaScripts are still rejected by a few.

Still much learning and work to do, but WestHost seems to be providing MUCH better sevice (at half the cost) than my old host - with an enormous amount of expansion and control capability (hope my learning curve is up to it!).

KUDOS to WestHost, they have given the Plow a new lease on life! :D

Gospel Plow - www.gospelplow.net