I've had websites of my own for about 3 years. That entire time it was always on a shared hosting service. So while not new to the web, I am very new to the concept and operation of a VPS and need help to understand what level of work is required from me.
Some questions I need to ask:
- Do I have to install the Operating System or is that already done for me?
- Do I install MySQL and PHP and Apache or are those already here? Can I change their options/modules if needed?
- Can I only use the programs mentioned in the plans or can I install and run others not provided here?
- Is Drupal an allowed program on this service?
- Can I have a PHP based chatroom on here that has fairly low traffic?
- What versions of MySQL, PHP and Apache are in use here?
- Is a program such as PhpAdsNew allowed on this service?
- What level of support is provided for a newbie? Is there a fee or limit on tech support?
- Is the MailMan mailing list manager (or others) supported? Is there a limitation on traffic other than the bandwidth on my selected plan?
- If I were to buy a lower priced plan, would the essentials be the same (disk structure, control panel, etc.) as a higher priced plan?
The current hosting company I use has the following resource usage limitations. Are there any here, if so how do they compare? How much memory am I allowed to use? How many accounts are held on a single server?
I guess that's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more as I continue my search for a new service!
RESOURCE USAGE RESTRICTIONS
Processes invoked by the web server, cron, shell or any other method should not exceed the following limitations:
- Consume more than 16 MBs of RAM.
- Utilize in excess of 15 seconds of CPU time.
- Number of open files should not exceed 64.
- Number of simultaneous processes should not exceed 5.
- Core dump files should not be created by scripts.
- Execute a script/binary that forks in a way to create a fork bomb.
- Send outbound mail to more than 25 recipients at any given time.
- All users are restricted to 15 concurrent MySQL connections.
- Each database is restricted to 1,000 MBs of disk space.
- Database queries should not exceed 2,000 per hour.
- Database changes (insert/update/delete) should not exceed 500 queries per hour.
- Database servers should not be used as a hosted solution. Database access should only be used for the web site hosted by Site5.
General misc. restrictions:
- The use/creation of more than 30,000 files within any given account.
- Single directories that contain more than 2,500 files.
- Simultaneous Apache connections in excess of 50.
- Files in excess of 10 MBs should not be sent via email.
- Use the find command recursively on directories more than 2 levels deep.
- All cron jobs must be 'niced' to 15 or greater.
- All cron jobs should not execute more than once every 15 minutes.
- Our servers should not be used as an SSH bounce point to other servers/networks.
The installation and/or execution of a script and/or binary that runs in the background or listens on a given port are strictly prohibited. If you require a bot, service, daemon or similar to run you should consider a dedicated server.