To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Question New to VPS and have questions

I've had websites of my own for about 3 years. That entire time it was always on a shared hosting service. So while not new to the web, I am very new to the concept and operation of a VPS and need help to understand what level of work is required from me.

Some questions I need to ask:

1. Do I have to install the Operating System or is that already done for me?
    2. Do I install MySQL and PHP and Apache or are those already here? Can I change their options/modules if needed?
    3. Can I only use the programs mentioned in the plans or can I install and run others not provided here?
    4. Is Drupal an allowed program on this service?
    5. Can I have a PHP based chatroom on here that has fairly low traffic?
    6. What versions of MySQL, PHP and Apache are in use here?
    7. Is a program such as PhpAdsNew allowed on this service?
    8. What level of support is provided for a newbie? Is there a fee or limit on tech support?
    9. Is the MailMan mailing list manager (or others) supported? Is there a limitation on traffic other than the bandwidth on my selected plan?
    10. If I were to buy a lower priced plan, would the essentials be the same (disk structure, control panel, etc.) as a higher priced plan?

The current hosting company I use has the following resource usage limitations. Are there any here, if so how do they compare? How much memory am I allowed to use? How many accounts are held on a single server?

Code:
    RESOURCE USAGE RESTRICTIONS
    ---------------------------------------

Processes invoked by the web server, cron, shell or any other method should not exceed the following limitations:

- Consume more than 16 MBs of RAM.
    - Utilize in excess of 15 seconds of CPU time.
    - Number of open files should not exceed 64.
    - Number of simultaneous processes should not exceed 5.
    - Core dump files should not be created by scripts.
    - Execute a script/binary that forks in a way to create a fork bomb.
    - Send outbound mail to more than 25 recipients at any given time.

Database restrictions:

- All users are restricted to 15 concurrent MySQL connections.
    - Each database is restricted to 1,000 MBs of disk space.
    - Database queries should not exceed 2,000 per hour.
    - Database changes (insert/update/delete) should not exceed 500 queries per hour.
    - Database servers should not be used as a hosted solution. Database access should only be used for the web site hosted by Site5.

General misc. restrictions:

- The use/creation of more than 30,000 files within any given account.
    - Single directories that contain more than 2,500 files.
    - Simultaneous Apache connections in excess of 50.
    - Files in excess of 10 MBs should not be sent via email.
    - Use the find command recursively on directories more than 2 levels deep.
    - All cron jobs must be 'niced' to 15 or greater.
    - All cron jobs should not execute more than once every 15 minutes.
    - Our servers should not be used as an SSH bounce point to other servers/networks.

The installation and/or execution of a script and/or binary that runs in the background or listens on a given port are strictly prohibited. If you require a bot, service, daemon or similar to run you should consider a dedicated server.
    I guess that's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more as I continue my search for a new service!

Skip Taylor
    Last edited by SkipT; 09-14-2006 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipT
    Do I have to install the Operating System or is that already done for me?
    This is maintained by WestHost and is Red Hat ES Linux OS w/Apache.

Do I install MySQL and PHP and Apache or are those already here? Can I change their options/modules if needed?
    Apache is installed with the creatation of the account as noted above. You do have access to the httpd.conf file. PHP and MySql is installed by you via the Site Manager and you have limited control over the modules. For PHP you have access to the php.ini. I have never messed with MySql configuration but I think we have some limited control. The thing to remember is that you do not have "true" root access. WestHost retains that control so things you see out there that require root access may be a problem to install. Some workarounds have been found by users but these are only suggested for advanced users. Seek out post by jalal and top posters here on the forum for an idea of what we have figured out we can do.

Can I only use the programs mentioned in the plans or can I install and run others not provided here?
    Most PHP and CGI/Perl programs can be installed. You are not limited by what is included in the plan.

Is Drupal an allowed program on this service?
    Yep I have installed it.

Can I have a PHP based chatroom on here that has fairly low traffic?
    IRC chatrooms are not allowed but I have installed and run a low traffic php chatroom. Tends to drive my bandwidth up fast if I don't keep an eye on it.

What versions of MySQL, PHP and Apache are in use here?
    I don't remember off hand the Apache version. MySql is currently 4.1.9. PHP you have the option of Mod php 4.4.2 or Mod php 5.1.2. Some folks have installed thier own versions of both but it is tricky.

Is a program such as PhpAdsNew allowed on this service?
    Pretty sure you would be ok with this. WestHost does not really restrict what you can install when it comes to Php programs. If the program causes a problem with the running of the server they well contact you belive me.

What level of support is provided for a newbie? Is there a fee or limit on tech support?
    Tech support is free but only on the programs included in the packages. For advanced stuff you have to pay for custom work at $95.00 per hour our come here and see if one of use can help you out.

Is the MailMan mailing list manager (or others) supported?
    Yes there is a mailing list program. Dada Mail is the one offered by WestHost.

Is there a limitation on traffic other than the bandwidth on my selected plan?
    Other then bandwidth and diskspace there are no printed restrictions. As I mentioned above if something on your site is causeing a problem with resources WH will contact you.

If I were to buy a lower priced plan, would the essentials be the same (disk structure, control panel, etc.) as a higher priced plan?
    Yes for the most part. You can see the full comparison of what you get with each plan here: http://www.westhost.com/package-compare.html One difference some have found is shared IP compared to dedicated IP. The dedicated IP is very handy and well worth the extra price (last I checked only $1 per month extra) if it is not included in the package you are looking at.

The current hosting company I use has the following resource usage limitations. Are there any here, if so how do they compare? How much memory am I allowed to use? How many accounts are held on a single server?
    WestHost has no retrictions like you listed. At least not in writting that is clear.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Thank you very much!

Skip

Apache is v1.3.7