To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Any word on the sporadic network outage the last few hours (5-5-06)

A couple of times this morning, I've seen every westhost site I have vanish for a period of 10-15 minutes and then come back. Netcraft has shown a couple blips of outage for westhost.com proper.... I didn't see much on the netstatus page (all systems running normally)....

Any word on what's going on. I have a client that's noticed the activity and it would be nice to be able to pass along what's going on with this unscheduled outage.

Thanks,

Avery

I see service has been restored The Westhost folks must have had a fairly LARGE problem this morning as everything was down a few minutes ago.

I happened shortly last night also. I haven't sent in a request or called. Has anyone else? I always hate to tie up thier lines if it is something system wide like this. It is good to know that it was not just me.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Default I'm guessing a main connectivity problem

Here's the netcraft monitor link http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/grap...om&range=86400

I just thought there might be some official explanation and given that according to the graph there have been 2 "blips" so far (according to a monitoring script I've got I think this was the third blip this morning.).... anyway, I thought I'd see if there was any kind of prediction if things had settled and the problem was resolved or if we could see this continue through the afternoon.

Just went to the Contatc page and saw this:
    NOTICE: There is currently an outage at WestHost that may or may not affect your web site. We are aware of the outage and are working very hard to correct the problem. Please read the below information carefully to see if the technical difficulties that you are experiencing may be a result of the current outage:

Affected Systems: Entire Network

Fix ETA:

Outage Information: There have been some network stability issues this morning. We are working to resolve those as quickly as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and your site and appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to fix the problem as soon as possible.

Good to see they have started putting notices on the Contact page.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign
    Good to see they have started putting notices on the Contact page.
    I agree!

Although, the netstatus and contact pages themselves were down during the outage... in fact the whole system was down including name servers as far as I could tell.

Yes I could not access anything. I know the notice may not give much in details but at least we know they are aware of the problem. It is always a bit scary when the WestHost site goes away.
    Shawn

Very good, I'm glad to see some acknowledgment on the netstatus page now. It's certainly concerning when it looks like EVERYTHING is unresponsive. It always makes me more nervous when the netstatus claims everythings working just fine after things come back up. I'd certainly prefer an acknowledgment/announcement of "yes there's a problem" over no announcement (which usually sounds to outsiders like a "what problem?" attitude...)

Being able to even pass along the somewhat vague "network stability issues" is WORLDS BETTER than... I haven't heard anything about what's going on.

Thanks to Westhost for giving us a bit of info...

Avery

Of course, I was in the middle of working on one of my sites during both last night's and this morning's outage. Sigh. I did call through and got the same message -- yes, there's a problem, they are working on it -- and as we talked things popped back on.

I'd love to see some description of what happened *after* the outage as well. Right now, there's no mention. But I'd love to know what the heck happened!

Well you see there is this big button in the break room that says "Do not Touch" and .... Just kidding. I doubt they will give much of an explanation or if they do most of use will have no idea what it means. It would be kind of nice to hear something at some point though.
    Shawn