To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Thread: qpopper update?

Default qpopper update?

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    We've made some changes to the way qpopper handles requests and deals with mailbox files that should reduce the overhead substantially (which we believe will have a very positive impact on performance -- since each VPS has its own instance of qpopper). There should be no negative side-effects as a result of the changes.
    The above was posted on the Server Annoucements page http://updates.westhost.com/data/archives/000046.html

Can anyone explain in laymen terms what this would mean to us? Not sure if this effects the amount of spam folks get or has to do with the relaying denied that many where getting.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

(In the absence of an authoritive answer): they've added a couple of options to the options file, to enable server-mode and fast-update, both of which mean its a bit faster to run and uses less I/O.
    It won't have any effect on spam or relaying (as its the POP server that you use to collect mail with).

HTH.

Default Qpopper & SPAM

Assuming the version Westhost is using is 4.0 it might refer to a security vulnerability created by buffer over runs that allowed a attacker to access all the mail on your server, this was corrected by version 4.0. If I went nuts and decided to shoot out 10 million e-mails I'd rather do it using your e-mail handler and address than mine.

On the other hand if Westhost is using an older version the "SPAM" possibility still exists.

Then again, could be a general info statement, since the FAQs on the Eudora site state qpopper does not support Virtual hosts (obviously an error).

I saw a post where someone got 500 or 1000 peices of hate mail from a form. Now there was a real nut! pushing the submit button 1000 times really takes a severe case of "no life" or possibly he/she used qpopper to automate the process.

Johnie