To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

>Do you have the normal 128MB of memory allotted to php on these accounts?

yes there is 128MB allocated per script event which is seem in the PHP Config panel, but a total a total of 320MB as seen in the Log>Resource, I believe it's listed in the MEML column.

>No I don't have any accounts on this server.

you're lucky because it's not a happy puppy and currently there is a big red dot on the WWW of the netstatus page for this server

I ran a monitor on my site last month and this server was down for 188 minutes over 10 events

Yes it look like this server is having some issues at the moment. I doubt there is anything you can do on your end beside monitoring the issue.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Looks like they got it fixed! I would say keep an eye on it and alert WH if it happens again. I have the feeling that their monitoring is catching it but always good to report things just in case. If you see a note on the Status page then that would mean they already know about it. In this case the note was for another server but I did inform them via Chat about the issue so perhaps that helped some in this case.
    Shawn

>Yes it look like this server is having some issues at the moment.

Something that I recently found out, there isn't a log of the errors that are shown on the NetStatus page. There are logs that show some of the problems but most often if the error on the netStatus page is transient nobody knows that it occurred except those of us that know that our sites are down.

>I doubt there is anything you can do on your end beside monitoring the issue.

this server has been a problem for 2 months.... unfortunately there is something that I can do, but I've been with WH for a long time now.

The problem that I have is if the plan that I'm on can't accomodate my tiny website or a forum that might have 4 visitors at a time, what type of plan would I need?

I'm sorry that my lack of patience is showing but I just want a server that is reliable.

>Looks like they got it fixed!

my errors still show up. The red light on this server is always going on and off.

You are right that transient issues are no logged. I don't really know how the system works for netstatus but I assume that these are issues that are caught by the automated system and fixed. That in a way is a good thing.

It is very possible that the plan is fine for your account but since it is a shared hosting account the other accounts effect you. Shared hosting is as a rule oversold. That is common. Then the host keeps an eye out for accounts that are exceeding their allotted resources and then tries to get them moved to an account that better fits their needs. Until they do this can cause issues. I know that many folks get frustrated and decide to move to another host. That may work for a time but in time the same thing can happen at another host. A dedicated server or VPS where you are guaranteed your own resources is really the only way you can avoid this. That being said that option is not always affordable for a small site.

My best advice is to keep in contact with WH via the support system. They really do care and are not out to scam you.
    Shawn

The best part about WH has always been the tech support. But I'm at a loss as to what to do. There finally seems to be an agreement that there is a problem with this server, the latest "fix" to reduce the memory limits has caused even more problems for me. And, as I mentioned I was told that these limits will remain for my sites.

My sites have not changed in years and I have been with WH for 10+ years.
    Last edited by J_M; 02-08-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Thank you for your compliment about our tech support team and we sincerely apologize for your frustration! We sent the following notice to all clients on 507-13:

Dear WestHost Client,

To provide you with the most reliable and robust hosting environment available, a maintenance window will be required to perform maintenance on the server that hosts your site.

This maintenance window will occur on Thursday, February 9 between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. MST. It is estimated that the maintenance will take approximately 30 minutes.

We appreciate your cooperation as we continue our efforts to provide you with the best hosting environment available.

Best regards,

Hosting Systems Department
    This is great advice and is very appreciated.
    My best advice is to keep in contact with WH via the support system. They really do care and are not out to scam you.
    WestHost has been in the hosting industry for 13 plus years because our clients have come to expect reliability and excellent client service (which they should). We continue to be dedicated to offering reliable hosting and excellent client service so we can continue to be in business for the next 13 years.

I have talked with our admin team about your specific concerns and we will be following up with additional information. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to send me a PM or contact our support team.

Adam

Hi Adam

I've sent you a PM.

>This maintenance window will occur on Thursday, February 9 between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. MST. It is estimated that the maintenance will take approximately 30 minutes.

does this mean that they have found the problem with this server or is it just regular maintenance?

j