To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cloud vps - too mnay problems

I'm posting here as I don't seem to be able to get any answers from support.

I'm currently on live chat to get my vps back up & running, down now for 1.5 hours - the technician is doing his best but he doesn't seem to be getting much support.
    This is the 5th time the vps has gone down since I've had it, the same problem each time - the file system goes into read-only state.

Every time it takes 1-3 hours to get it up & running and each time I ask what the problem was and how it can be prevented in future - no response.

I also run a standard vps from westhost and to be honest it is much more reliable than the cloud server.

I'm in the uk so tend to request support during office hours here, I'm not sure you have enough technicians working out of US office hours to deal with these problems in a timely manner.

Can you tell me how you propose to stop the failure happening again.

Well it's back up & running now - 2.5 hours down time.
    I am told that there was an error on the disk that couldn't be repaired manually, so the server was restored from backup.

The live chat technician well helpful and did his best, but I now need to know why this incident (and the previous ones) happened, and what has been done to prevent it happening again.

Still no response from Westhost regarding this problem and now the vps is down again.

Just some information would be helpful to manage the situation for my clients, but silence is difficult to accept. I think I'm going to have to join in with all the others on the forum who say that the level of support has afiled in the last 6 months.

Live chat is saying they've got too many calls at the moment - I guess I'm not the only one with problems today.

Latest update:

"Thank you for contacting Westhost technical support. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been seeing with your VPS. I wanted to inform you that we have been working hard to bring this back up as quickly as possible. You are on the SLC-C Zone, and there was a problem with the SAN last night. It was rebooted, but there was some additional issues present on some of the VPSes. Our system administrators are working as hard as they can to bring things back up as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience in this matter. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. We will keep you updated on the progress."

Why didn't someone tell me this earlier? I could have managed my clients' expectations.

I understand the pressure under which the technicians have to work when something fails, but lack of communication by management is unforgivable.

The live chat auto reply is that they are busy and I should check the network status page - which doesn't tell me the status of cloud servers!!

squidier

I have been working with our Admin team to get additional information. As our tech mentioned there were SAN issues last night and we are rebooting all VPS's to be back online. We are working on the issues and will continue to work on them until they are resolved.

I will continue to keep and eye on this thread and update it with any additional information.

Adam

I appreciate your reply, I'd begun to think I was talking (ranting) to myself.
    Do you have an ETA for the fix?

Now I know which server I'm on, this site is really useful - all the dates for problems with SLC-C tie in with the problems I've had with my vps.
    Why doesn't westhost give us this info:

http://cloudfail.net/category/vps-net

The issues have been due to one of the SANs on the SLC-C cloud. We have restored the SAN and have rebooted the accounts on the cloud. If you are still seeing an issue please contact our technical support team.

The link you provided is a third party that pulls information from our sister companies status page http://status.vps.net/. Because there is not much information on that page I was working with my personal contact to gather more information. Currently we are working to provide updates to our clients through our http://netstatus.westhost.com/ status page.

Adam

All of our clients can now see cloud issues/updates on the http://netstatus.westhost.com/.

Adam