To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Default cPanel - listen on alternate Port - where do I find it?

We just migrated from Site Manager to cPanel hosting. We use a remote mail exchanger. Our DNS and MX records are controlled at Network Solutions. The MX records have not changed.

In our Site Manager system, we had set "Listen on an Alternate Port" for SMTP services to successfully send mail from our shopping cart on the server and use our external smtp server.

With the same smtp configuration (server, port, email and password), we can no longer send mail on our cPanel site. I suspect that we have to change the cPanel server to 'listen on an Alternate Port", but I cannot find how to do that on the cPanel system.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you.
    Laurie

cPanel accounts already listen on the alternate port of 2525. There are some other changes you need to make to your email client though in regards to configuration.

Log in an click on your Email Accounts under Mail heading. Look at the list of your email accounts and then to the right will be a bunch of action icons/links. Look for Configure Mail Client and then click on it. The following page gives all the details needed for logging into an email account. Usernames and Servers have changed how you access them. In Site Manager we just used the domain but in cPanel the mail.example.com is used for servers. Usernames are like the email addy but use a + instead of an @. You'll see all the details when you log in under Manual. That page also has some Autoconfigure options for some clients but I have never used them. I just go manual.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Not sure I understand what you are saying with our email client. Our email clients go directly to our email hosting provider - not through westhost. Hence there should be no email mailboxes (except for the default) on our local westhost cPanel system. Our email clients use password authentication with our mail host's smtp server and have been doing so for years with no problems. Those same authentication parameters were used on our old Site Manager website to authenticate mail sent from our website with no problem. When we moved the site to cPanel, the website no longer sends mail - instead we get a time-out error message.

Since we're using another provider for mail, I didn't think there was any need to create local mailboxes that will never be used. Are you saying I need to do that in order for the emails to actually go out - even if they are really being sent using an external smtp server?

What do you use to send and receive email? Is it Outlook or something like it? At some point if you are connecting to your domain to get email then you should have set up a username and password to log in to your domain to get that email. That is what has changed.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign View Post
    That is what has changed.
    No, that is NOT what has changed. Our email clients (mac mail) and our email server and smtp servers were set up 5 years ago with an external provider. Our email clients connect to our mail provider just fine and have been sending and receiving emails without fail.

What DID change is the webhost platform at Westhost. The shopping cart emails under Site Manager used our external email server password authentication to send emails. That same configuration does NOT work under cPanel.

Our current mail client configuration continues to work just fine. It is the cPanel server's connection to an external smtp server that fails.

Ok I think I am following you now. I was confused by the request for how to set up things to listen on an alternate port. cPanel by default listens on the alternate port of 2525 which is what we used to have to set up in Site Manager. So in your shopping cart then you have it set up to connect to this external email service via SMPT, or is it using the built in PHP mail function? I assume it is a PHP shopping cart but I may be wrong on that assumption. Also do you remember setting up an MX record in Site Manager that was pointed at this external email service? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to narrow down what is going on. Like I said cPanel actully listens on the alternate port of 2525 so that should not be the issue and we don't have a way to change that like in Site Manager that I am aware of in the cPanel environment.
    Shawn

Initially I tried to use the same configuration in the shopping cart that I used in Site Manager - use the external SMTP server, userid, password and port 25 that we've traditionally used and still use in our email clients. Could not get it to work from the shopping cart.

I get and send mail with that userid, password, server and port every day all day with my mail client, so I know it is not the SMTP server that is the problem.

In order to keep our store up and running, I switched our shopping cart to use PHPMail, so at least the mail is now getting out.

Unfortunately, I don't know the ramifications of enabling PHPMail. There was no "authentication" associated with it, so I am concerned that we may have exposed ourselves to outside spammers. Again, I really have no clue, but I would think with an authenticated SMTP server connection, email would be much more secure.

The other alternative used successfully was to use a second domain pointed to the the same IP, set up mail for it, and use the local mail server configuration in the shopping cart. This works, but unfortunately that second domain is needed elsewhere and we cannot use it permanently in this way.

I tried just about everything, but I believe I did put MX records in the cPanel as well. Those MX records point to the same servers that the "live" MX records currently point (again controlled at Network Solutions). I didn't think that would have much impact since the MX records in cPanel are only used if local mail is enable. Might be wrong there.

There really is no difference security wise between using php mail() or SMTP in your shopping cart. If anything I would think that php mail() would be just a bit more secure. The reason I say that is with SMPT authentication your username and password must be entered into the configuration file. If from some reason a spammer or hacker gained access to that file or the configuration information they would then have your password and username for that SMPT server. It is a long shot that this would happen but those values are stored in plain text and not encrypted so easy to read.

So the time out was happening in the shopping cart... am I right about that? If that is the case then check in the shopping cart directory or in your main public_html directory for a php5_error_log or php4_error_log file. It is just a plain text file so pretty easy to read. See if maybe it gives any indication of why the script was timing out.
    Shawn

BTW: What company are you using to handle email for the domain. I could research that side and see if there is anything screwball that would be needed with a cPanel account and their service.
    Shawn

We use rackspace