To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Default Deleting user accounts - Bad Idea? [SPAM]

I have an employee who has left and no longer needs an email account associated with my domain. After 4 months of auto replies and forwarding to a monitored account, she was not getting anything other than spam.

I deleted the user account. Now, the spam servers are sending messages to postmaster@mydomain.com. They are being sent to my email account --I presume because somewhere I'm listed as the postmaster. I can't find any place in the web based control panel where I can control the referral address for the postmaster.

Should I re-establish the account with a small capacity and just let it fill up with spam until it rejects emails because it's full? Will the spam servers then start sending emails to the postmaster@mydomain.com?

This is a drag. Deleting the user account is resulting in more spam to my account.

Strategies for dealing with spam an old/unneeded email accounts?

Thanks, j mcd

I assume you are still on WH 3.0 since you joined back in 2007. Set up an command alias for the user and point it to /bin/echo. That well then simply bounce any email back to the sender.

In regards to postmaster, while you are on the Alias page you'll see a link at the top that says "Postmaster destination ". If you click on it you can modify both the postmaster part and the destination for that mail.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign View Post
    I assume you are still on WH 3.0 since you joined back in 2007. Set up an command alias for the user and point it to /bin/echo. That well then simply bounce any email back to the sender.
    Thanks... but I'm not smart enough to take what you said and make it happen. Can you step me through it? I'm comfortable altering files on a server, but usually I don't really know what I'm doing.

Thanks again.

j

This is really simple and can be done through the Site Manager. Log in and click on Aliases under Email/FTP. This is where you'll see the "Postmaster destination" link at the top of the page if you happen to want to change that. At the bottom on the right you'll see an Add button. Click on it. In the pop up window select Command on the left. Then in the right hand side in the first box marked Alias name:* put the first part of the email address that you deleted without the @ or domain. Then below that in the Destination:* box type in /bin/echo. Click the Finish button at the bottom and you are all done! Now anything sent to that old email address well be bounced back.

What happens in the background, is the file /etc/mail/aliases is modified by Site Manager and then the command newaliases is executed to apply the changes. If one wanted to they could manually do this by editing the file then running the command in SSH.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Many thanks. Now I get it. I'm using a number of aliases to anticipate client mistakes in email addresses. I didn't know about command aliases. This is great help!

j